• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinsch
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Perth

Centre Differential Lamp flashing

Last few days I have had the centre diff lock lamp flashing and the green rear wheel lamps go out, not all the time but every second drive. I recently changed the spare tyre to the rear LH it is about 50% worn.
    Could it be the system is sensing that the spare tyre just fitted is slightly bigger compared to the other side RH rear tyre, has about 1-2mm less tread than the LH, if so that is very sensative, there also was a strange smell after the first drive about 50km, I though it was smoke from a nearby burnoff.
    TIA
    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I had this problem with my NW Pajero. Eventually I worked out the cause - I had 2 new Hankook AT tyres fitted to the rear and 2 original Bridgestone Highway tread tyres on the front (all the same nominal size). Whenever I used 4WD on the highway (towing my caravan), after a while the green lights would go out and the centre CD light would flash. Took it to the local dealer and he could not find any problem. Eventually I bought an icarsoft HNMII analyser, and it showed a code for the transmission. The HNMII could not remove the code (and a couple of other codes), so I took it to the local dealer and he connected their MUTT to the car. By this time, however, I had had fitted another 2 Hankooks, and although I could tow my caravan in 4WD with no more flashing lights, the code was still there. The Mitsubishi dealer with his MUTT managed to clear all the stored codes on my car except one, which I recall was the battery low voltage code. Importantly, the transfer case codes relating to uneven tyre diameters was cleared by the dealer's MUTT.

Your case could easily come from having different pressures in the spare tyre (this would generate a different rolling diameter) or the tyre itself could be a different size. Check the diameters of all your tyres and see if there is any difference.

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Have you got a scan gauge/ ultra gauge or similar?

If not, your welcome to drop round so we can see the codes.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• hinsch
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Perth

Centrelight

I have done a measurement of the amount of tread remaining and matched up front and rear as close as possible, the flashing centre diff light has now been off for 400km so hopefully problem fixed, does the code need to be cleared or is it all good just to leave it as is. This would suck if like some your spare tyre never comes off the back, tyres have a use by date I think about 5 yrs that is why I rotate all five.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

When I replaced the remaining 2 tyres so that I had 4 tyres of the same brand, style and size, the CD light stopped flashing, but the code remained. It could not be cleared by my ICarsoft, and eventually the local dealer cleared the code with his MUTT. And Shane, the Scangauge II didn't even register the transfer case codes - it only seems to so the engine codes.

Comment

• hinsch
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Perth

Flashing centre light

Got a download and it came up with a code C1458 which means F/W engage switch. On the front part of the front diff beside the actuator there is a switch, two red/black wires coming out of it.
            Internal of that switch is a ball bearing that gets stuck, remove the switch clean the ball bearing lub and refit. If the light comes on and the system has failed apparently you will get a loud grinding noise from the front diff, stop vehicle put into 4H and that should fix it until you can change the switch anyway. Also check the vacuum hoses to the front wheel actuator mine had a small hole in one of them.
            Last edited by hinsch; 02-10-19, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X