• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajaru
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Perth

Pajero Air Filter

I am looking at getting a air filter and after a quick search I can find air filters from $8 to $100, so would a $8 do the job or would a $100 be better. Which would be better brand or should I stay with Mitsubishi.
    Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
    To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I have read comments on this forum that the cheaper filters do not fit properly, and may let dust get in past the filter - not good for your engine. I imagine that problem could be cured by putting a thin strip of foam (like a draft seal for a house door) around the edge prior to installation

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

I use genuine Ryco for fuel, oil and air filters. I've found Ryco products to be good quality.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
        Nothing wrong with Ryco..

I use Donaldson Filters. Donaldson do a kit for the Pajero, Oil Air Fuel for about $80
        My Nephew had his own Diesel Mechanical business & he put me on to Donaldson, They have a big name in Heavy Industrial / earth moving etc. There is also a lot of people on here using the Donaldson second fuel filter kit.

You would have to find the agent in your area, I doubt you will pickup a Donaldson Filter in your local supercheap.

Steve
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Onslow
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Pajaru View Post
          I am looking at getting a air filter and after a quick search I can find air filters from $8 to $100, so would a $8 do the job or would a $100 be better. Which would be better brand or should I stay with Mitsubishi.
          Using the Mitsubishi filter will at least give you piece of mind that it has been tested for your Paj.

I know a number of other Brand vehicles are having problems with dusted engines due to aftermarket filters being used. The Toyota V8's have well known problems with aftermarket filters and a friend of mine has just lost his V8 engine to poor filtration after using an aftermarket product for a number of years. Cost to him was 12K!!

Ive noticed poor filtration on my own Grand Cherokee and Pajero when using aftermarket filters inc both paper and K&N in dusty conditions. I tried everything including increased servicing and special greases to try to seal them, but these were never successful. I reverted back to OEM and the problem was gone.

Personally its a risk I don't want to take, for a small financial saving. Especially if you get out into the WA red dirt!
          NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Amok
            • Dec 2016
            • Sydney

Don't risk it to save a few bucks. Go with genuine or a good brand like Ryco. Also beware of fake parts on ebay or the guy with the greasy ponytail selling "genuine" parts out of his boot.
            MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
              Using the Mitsubishi filter will at least give you piece of mind that it has been tested for your Paj.

I know a number of other Brand vehicles are having problems with dusted engines due to aftermarket filters being used. The Toyota V8's have well known problems with aftermarket filters and a friend of mine has just lost his V8 engine to poor filtration after using an aftermarket product for a number of years. Cost to him was 12K!!

Ive noticed poor filtration on my own Grand Cherokee and Pajero when using aftermarket filters inc both paper and K&N in dusty conditions. I tried everything including increased servicing and special greases to try to seal them, but these were never successful. I reverted back to OEM and the problem was gone.

Personally its a risk I don't want to take, for a small financial saving. Especially if you get out into the WA red dirt!
              X infinity .. not worth to save a few bucks

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• dhula
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • South of Perth

Can't recall which brand of non OEM air filter it was that had the problems but it was one of the bigger name brands IIRC.
                I currently use ACDelco filters and after reading the post re air filter problems I checked and measured the Paj and Jeep and it was fitting properly so I'm happy to keep using it.
                I'm personally not a fan of K & N air filters as I've seen poor fitting and dusting problems. I also don't use oiled filters (Unifilter, finerfilter etc) anymore, particularly on any engine with electronic control.
                2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• ticky
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                  Can't recall which brand of non OEM air filter it was that had the problems but it was one of the bigger name brands IIRC.
                  I currently use ACDelco filters and after reading the post re air filter problems I checked and measured the Paj and Jeep and it was fitting properly so I'm happy to keep using it.
                  I'm personally not a fan of K & N air filters as I've seen poor fitting and dusting problems. I also don't use oiled filters (Unifilter, finerfilter etc) anymore, particularly on any engine with electronic control.
                  Club 4x4 recently did a test on various air filters Filtration only, not air flow. The results show the K&N Style filters should never be used on 4X4s.

I would & do use A Reputable filter like Ryco or Donaldson, but I never buy from Ebay and I never buy a brand I'm not familiar with. Stick to the name brands and you will have no problems.

Steve
                  2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Amok
                    • Dec 2016
                    • Sydney

K and N are rubbish. I put one (oil filter) on my HSV which leaked, returned it for a replacement which also leaked! Went to OEM or Ryco since then and never had a problem in probably 20 oil changes I've done recently.
                    MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• pajtastic
                      • May 2017
                      • Melbourne

I tried a Ryco filter in my NW, but it caused a vibration in the airbox so I went back to OEM. A few other people around the forum here have experienced the same thing.

Comment

• Hatto
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Mandurah WA

Yeah I've found the rubber seal around the filter on ryco ones is slightly thinner and therefore when you clamp the top of the air box back on, it's not clamped down tight on the rubber. This causes vibration in the air box and would probably be letting unwanted particles through too. I'll be using Mitsi ones from now on.
                        Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                        ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• NJV6
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • New Zealand

Don’t use a Ryco air filter! They don’t fit properly and cause dust to get past. When you look at the ryco vs genuine the genuine one has a thicker rubber seal.
                          You may get the ryco one to fit if you run some foam edging like someone else mentioned.
                          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• benckj
                            Valued Member
                            • Oct 2017
                            • Alexandra , New Zealand

I bought a cheapy air filter from RockAuto and it was exactly same size as OEM. Seems to work great without any dirt by-passing filter.

Comment

• gemster
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Gold Coast

So how much are original filters from Mitsubishi ?...

Gemster....
                              YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                              And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                              ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X