• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XLS PB Challenger
    • May 2016
    • Reynella East

Originally posted by coughy View Post
    it is another complete diff from a pb with factory locker
    i have done some extensive research and mods to it with a big machining bill to go with it
    the diff so far owes me over $1000 in just machining stuff with out the cost of the diff it self
    and i have done a fare bit of moding it my self so im glad i didnt pay some one to do it
    lucky im a tinkera and a mechanic to do so

now im up to the reassembly part i need new bearings and seals and i have a 4.3 factory rear diff lock center to fit in the pb

i have the front sorted it all ready has a 4.3 ready to go into it for the trans plant nothing much to do with the machining on that one little bit mucking around and she should be in

just have had a ruff last 8 months with personal issues and family issues and work related things and the diff isnt on my radar at the moment
    nor is the challenger im getting to the stage where im over it
    it will be going to the dealers soon for a trade in had a enough of the pb crap fuel and power/torque for towing it is a crap 4x4...

sorry rant over

Hi Coughy,

Just wondering if the diffs might be for sale if the challenger has gone to the dealer for a trade in?

Cheers
    Paul
    2010 PB Challenger Auto - 265/60/18 Dick Cepek - MCC front bar - 9 inch LED kings spot lights- Safari Snorkel - 2 inch lift - REDARC BMS1230 Manager & REDARC TVMS - AUX battery in custom tray behind cargo trim - Jump start feature - 3inch Triton exhaust - morepower diesel chip - bash plates - 9.5 XP winch - Auto front locker - Automate - RV meter.

Comment

• PC Challenger
      • May 2014
      • Earth

Ok. I started this thread along time ago. And im back thinking about doing it. I have a mate that did the 4.3s. And it was a direct install. He said it helped. But would recommend the 4.6s for towing. This is the rpms ive worked out.

Stock 3.917
      Either 4.3 or 4.6
      Diff housing 12 bolts

Rpm at 110 km with 3.917 in 5th
      245 / 70 /16 - 2391 rpm
      265 / 70 / 16 - 2304 rpm

Rpm at 100km with 3.917 in 4th
      245/70/16 - 2766 rpm
      265/70/16 - 2666 rpm

Rpm at 110 km with 4.3 in 5th
      265/75/16 - 2446 rpm
      255/85/16 - 2341 rpm

Rpm at 110 km with 4.6 in 5th
      265/75/16 - 2617 rpm
      255/85/16 - 2504 rpm

Rpm at 90km with 4.3 in 4th
      265/75/16 - 2556 rpm
      255/85/16 - 2447 rpm

Rpm at 90 km with 4.6 in 4th
      265/75/16 - 2735 rpm
      255/85/16 - 2617 rpm

Anyonr no if theres 4.6 that will drop straight in?
      Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi PC,

Your numbers do not look correct at a quick glance.
        Method for working this out in post #16 of this thread.

My calculations have an auto trans fitted with stock tyres at 100kph gives an engine rpm of 1953 with 3.917 ratio, and with 4.3 diff ratios the engine rpm would be 2145 rpm.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 13-11-18, 07:22 AM.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• PC Challenger
          • May 2014
          • Earth

Are these correct for a manual
          As it all off a app
          Attached Files
          Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by PC Challenger View Post
            Anyonr no if theres 4.6 that will drop straight in?
            The Gen 2s had a 4.636 ratio that I would expect to drop in, and it just so happens that I have one for sale. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=59242

The housing from which this centre was removed now has 4.3s from a Triton - a straight forward swap.

I believe all the 8" high pinion fronts are compatible - if you can find the ratio it should drop into your housing. 4.3s from a Gen 4 dropped into my NJ housing.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Are these correct for a manual
              As it all off a app
              The 5th gear ratio does appear right for a manual - OJ was talking auto.

Interesting that your friend thinks 4.6 would be better for towing. I put 4.3s in Shorty, and I had somebody try to convince me I should go 4.6. But Shorty isn't for towing, it's smaller / lighter, with the 3.2 and Auto to help out off the line.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• PC Challenger
                • May 2014
                • Earth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                The 5th gear ratio does appear right for a manual - OJ was talking auto.

Interesting that your friend thinks 4.6 would be better for towing. I put 4.3s in Shorty, and I had somebody try to convince me I should go 4.6. But Shorty isn't for towing, it's smaller / lighter, with the 3.2 and Auto to help out off the line.
                Its more for getting off the line.

I have 33.1" muddys. And on a very steep hill i actually get stuck if i stop.
                No matter how high i rev or ride the clutch.

I have 3.15 crawlers. So low range i can just release the clutch with no accelerator. And it will just walk no matter how steep.

I want to get a pop up caravan. And either drive with 33s or 32s depending on what im doing.
                And dont want to keep using low range
                Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Its more for getting off the line.

I have 33.1" muddys. And on a very steep hill i actually get stuck if i stop.
                  No matter how high i rev or ride the clutch.

I have 3.15 crawlers. So low range i can just release the clutch with no accelerator. And it will just walk no matter how steep.

I want to get a pop up caravan. And either drive with 33s or 32s depending on what im doing.
                  And dont want to keep using low range
                  Fair enough.

Another way to look at it (with the help of a calculator):

Pick any speed, in any gear. For every 3,917 rpm with stock diffs, the engine will go to 4,636 rpm with the 4.636 diffs. So, divide current rpm by 3.917, multiply by 4.636 and that's the new revs your engine would spin at the same road speed.

To shorten things a little, 4636 / 3917 = 1.184.

So, for every 1000 rpm now, the new diffs would require 1184 rpm for the same road speed.

2000 rpm now would go to 2368 rpm at the same speed.

Your example earlier, with 110km/h on 265/70 R16 at 2,304 rpm (if that's correct?) would become 2,728 rpm on 4.636 diffs.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• PC Challenger
                    • May 2014
                    • Earth

Fair enough.

Another way to look at it (with the help of a calculator):

Pick any speed, in any gear. For every 3,917 rpm with stock diffs, the engine will go to 4,636 rpm with the 4.636 diffs. So, divide current rpm by 3.917, multiply by 4.636 and that's the new revs your engine would spin at the same road speed.

To shorten things a little, 4636 / 3917 = 1.184.

So, for every 1000 rpm now, the new diffs would require 1184 rpm for the same road speed.

2000 rpm now would go to 2368 rpm at the same speed.

Your example earlier, with 110km/h on 265/70 R16 at 2,304 rpm (if that's correct?) would become 2,728 rpm on 4.636 diffs.
                    Yer. But this app takes the tyres in consideration.
                    Thats why on the 4.3 and 4.6 the tyre size is larger
                    Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• 4wd26
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

I have the 4.6 gears in my Triton. Works nicely with 32” tyres when towing and 33” tyres when off-road. I started with 4.1 gears though.

I now no longer require the manual torque lockup switch in the auto when towing as it is a much more factory ratio (with larger tyres)

It is the Pajero gears I used but you need to confirm you have the 12” diff and axles, otherwise the earlier gen 2 gears will work with the smaller diff.

Will be important as the axles and therefore the rest of your driveline.

Could fit a lsd into your open diff, cannot retro fit a factory locker as the axle length is longer in the Triton/ challenger than the doner Pajero.
                      ML triton with some accessories
                      National E Trek Libary
                      Getting Out There

Comment

• PC Challenger
                        • May 2014
                        • Earth

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
                        I have the 4.6 gears in my Triton. Works nicely with 32” tyres when towing and 33” tyres when off-road. I started with 4.1 gears though.

I now no longer require the manual torque lockup switch in the auto when towing as it is a much more factory ratio (with larger tyres)

It is the Pajero gears I used but you need to confirm you have the 12” diff and axles, otherwise the earlier gen 2 gears will work with the smaller diff.

Will be important as the axles and therefore the rest of your driveline.

Could fit a lsd into your open diff, cannot retro fit a factory locker as the axle length is longer in the Triton/ challenger than the doner Pajero.

Mm well i have factory rear locker and e locker in front. Differently want to be keeping them.

A mate in a MN triton with 12 bolt rear diff managed to keep the lockers on 4.3s
                        Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Mm well i have factory rear locker and e locker in front. Differently want to be keeping them.

A mate in a MN triton with 12 bolt rear diff managed to keep the lockers on 4.3s
                          The locker is in the diff centre, which gets bolted to the crown wheel. If you already have locker and axles, no problem keeping them.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• 4wd26
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

The locker is in the diff centre, which gets bolted to the crown wheel. If you already have locker and axles, no problem keeping them.

As above, was just a heads up if you wanted to change
                            ML triton with some accessories
                            National E Trek Libary
                            Getting Out There

Comment

• PC Challenger
                              • May 2014
                              • Earth

Ive sourced some 4.636 out of a nl Pajero.
                              Its 8 inch front and a 9.5 inch rear " 12 bolt"
                              Just the gearsets are $400 for both.
                              Will confirm with my diff guy.
                              Stock PC Challenger

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X