• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • itsamitsi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Hervey Bay Queensland

Rotor cracks

I serviced the old girl today and noticed these perfectly straight what appear to be cracks in the front rotors. They don,t go all the way through but are on the surface and can be felt. Each of the front rotors has 2 of them. Has anyone else noticed these on their Challenger?
    Attached Files
    Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Most radial cracks are not perfectly straight, they tend to be a little wiggly.
    You said there are 2 of these marks on each rotor, by chance would they be the length of the brake pad apart?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

OJ is onto it.

I can assure you these are not cracks. Cracks from over heating are usually small hairline wiggly lines in a radial pattern around the face of the rotor or can form around cross drilled holes.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

No they are perfectly straight and about 1/3 of the rotors diameter apart. It's really weird. The rears don't have it only the front. I have a pic of the full rotor but it won't let me load it says file fail to load.
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• itsamitsi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2015
          • Hervey Bay Queensland

Actually they are almost half the rotor diameter apart, just under.

Comment

• Boo Boo
            • Aug 2012
            • Kilsyth

Is it possible that the mould is split here when they cast the rotors
            This may cause the steel to cool differently to the rest of the rotor causing a soft or hard spot.
            2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• itsamitsi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2015
              • Hervey Bay Queensland

Dunno... It's puzzling as it is only on the surface from what I can see. Both rotors are identical, small not deep straight what appear to be cracks with small pieces flaking away from the meeting edges. Like they were glued together....

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

On closer inspection I can see what you are talking about, it could be bits of friction material that have deposited on the rotor and then these bits have been dragged backwards.
                Is the photo of the right or left rotor?
                Have you had any heavy braking episodes recently!
                What is the condition of the pads, have they been removed and inspected?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

I have similar on L/H Rear rotor

Brakes grab make a bit of noise in reverse. . Been measured and calipers checked .. all within specs ..
                  2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• NTBenny
                    • May 2017
                    • Newcastle

I'm fairly sure it's pad material being deposited on the rotor face after the pad has been stationary against the rotor. This line being the centre groove on the face of the pad.The material then continues to collect more material until it is essentially burnt off. I've seen it plenty of times. Not sure if anyone else is able to confirm this though?

Benny.
                    Last edited by NTBenny; 13-11-17, 01:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• green troll
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
                      I'm fairly sure it's pad material being deposited on the rotor face after the pad has been stationary against the rotor. This line being the centre grove on the face of the pad.The material then continues to collect more material until it is essentially burnt off. I've seen it plenty of times. Not sure if anyone else is able to confirm this though?

Benny.

I’d second that. If your worried take some emery cloth to it and see if it removes it. Doesn’t look like a crack though

Comment

• wasarangie
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Ocean Grove

x3 I go with this as well. It's the rubbish pad material that does it. A few hard stops and high brake temps and the material sticks, if you notice a shudder or vibrations after some harder city or long down hill driving this will be the cause. I have seen it many times. Those disks look like they have had a hard time though, how many klms have they done?
                        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2015
                          • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                          x3 I go with this as well. It's the rubbish pad material that does it. A few hard stops and high brake temps and the material sticks, if you notice a shudder or vibrations after some harder city or long down hill driving this will be the cause. I have seen it many times. Those disks look like they have had a hard time though, how many klms have they done?
                          It's the bosses shopping trolley. Done 63K. Braking is perfect, no shudder or squealing. Pads are spot on too....

Comment

• itsamitsi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2015
                            • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            On closer inspection I can see what you are talking about, it could be bits of friction material that have deposited on the rotor and then these bits have been dragged backwards.
                            Is the photo of the right or left rotor?
                            Have you had any heavy braking episodes recently!
                            What is the condition of the pads, have they been removed and inspected?

OJ.
                            RHF. The left has identical marks in it too.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
                              RHF. The left has identical marks in it too.
                              Do you have a photo of the left, I suspect the trailing marks are going in the opposite direction.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X