• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimako
    • Jul 2007
    • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Dual Diesel Filters

Hi Guys,
    Thoughts on this rather than just adding a secondary filter?
    Im thinking remove the original and add this 2 in 1 kit.

Dual fuel filter assembly with 1/2" UNF ports. 1 x Dual filter housing head. 2 x Fuel bolt assemblies. 2 x CAV glass bowls. LOCAL PICKUP IS AVAILABLE. You will be notified if this should happen.
    2013 MY13 VRX
  • dhula
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • South of Perth

I've been considering something similar except for our KJ as space is very limited under the bonnet.
    The biggest hurdle so far is that I am yet to find a duel head filter assy that has the primer pump incorporated in the design and then if filters with the um rating I want are available for it at reasonable prices that make it competitive compared to having 2 separate filter assys (ie, OEM + 2ndary filter)
    I'm wanting to chase up some more info on the early HZJ75 filter setup as IIRC it is a duel head type that has a water separator on one side and a filter on the other plus a primer pump all in one. It's still on the cards to chase up tho then there is finding a 2-3um filter for it.
    If I can't find anything that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling then it'll be a case of getting a single filter head with primer pump (heaps out there) and using a 2-3um filter with glass bowl on the bottom.
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

JImako

Perhaps a google search of Delphi 296 would be worthwhile for the wellbeing of you Pajero.

I added the words specification and micron.

Looks like it's a 30 micron filter. I didn't look for efficiency rating.

For CRD 3 micron 95% efficiency is what Parker Racor recommend.

A google search of "Donaldson Pajero Club micron" should find some useful information.

By leaving the existing fuel fileter with primer in place you don't require a filter head with another primer.
      If additional filter is fitted before factory filter - do nothing additional to prime

If additional filter is fitted after factory filter open bleed valve in additional filter, pump fuel with factory filter primer and close bleed valve in additional filter when diesel spurts out of additional filter.

Hill
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Hill makes a good point - filtration specs are everything.

My first google came up with a "5 micron" figure, but the fine print stated "Not recommended for use in Common Rail vehicles." Another page, under "specifications" listed height & diameter. Useful.

It is also not clear to me if the housing places the two filters in series, or parallel. Looking at the overall size of the filter, it's hard to imagine one would have the same flow characteristics of the factory filter. I also found listings of the filter for around $5 each - seems a little too cheap?

Nice idea, but I think this particular unit should be avoided.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• jimako
          • Jul 2007
          • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Originally posted by Hill View Post
          JImako

Perhaps a google search of Delphi 296 would be worthwhile for the wellbeing of you Pajero.

I added the words specification and micron.

Looks like it's a 30 micron filter. I didn't look for efficiency rating.

For CRD 3 micron 95% efficiency is what Parker Racor recommend.

A google search of "Donaldson Pajero Club micron" should find some useful information.

By leaving the existing fuel fileter with primer in place you don't require a filter head with another primer.
          If additional filter is fitted before factory filter - do nothing additional to prime

If additional filter is fitted after factory filter open bleed valve in additional filter, pump fuel with factory filter primer and close bleed valve in additional filter when diesel spurts out of additional filter.

Hill

Hill, I did do a bit of googling and checked out the forum, i know that actual filter is not suitable. But what i dont know is, If i get this unit am i stuck with using the Delphi Filters ?
          I would have thought i could get different brand filters with the flow and micron that i need to suite that head ?

Im new to this diesel stuff and i have lots to learn.
          2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• Hill
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

JImako

Perhaps Delphi could recommend a filter for CRD. The 296 is clearly not suitable.

Hill
            200 Series
            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• 2012 GLS
              • Aug 2015
              • Kingaroy Qld

Hi gents, I run a 3 micron Donaldson diesel filter, that sits before the factory filter.
              It come with a built in water trap/ site glass. It is designed as a pre- cleaner.
              You can buy the full kit for about $100 P903316
              Check the Donaldson web site for info. www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au
              It is suitable for the common rail motors. and it is rated at 99% absolute.
              I tow a 2.5t van and have never had a problem.
              I also buy my filter kits from Donaldson, the kit comes with original fuel cleaner, air filter and oil filter, all for about $90
              Hope this helps.
              Last edited by 2012 GLS; 16-11-17, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• pharb
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Tyers,Vic

That style of filter (I always referred to them as CAV filters) were extremely common on pommy or European gear from the '70s and '80s. Can get filters from lots of different manufactures - Fleetguard FF167, Ryco R2132P......A bit sad I can still remember those part numbers off the top of my head. I've still got a box of FF167s sitting in shed waiting for a use.

I would suggest only good for filtering rocks out, and only big enough to flow enough fuel for 100hp or less.

I would suggest a lot bigger filter to allow for lots of fuel flow over a very fine filter medium, as has already bean suggested.
                PCOV Member 1107.
                Daily driver NX GLX
                Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X