• May 2019
    • Auckland, New Zealand

Am I a NJ/K or L

Pretty much as the topic says.

I have a 1996 SWB 3.5 V6 DOHC
    VIN: 7AT0CJ08X18300608
    Engine No: 6G74
    Chassis: V25-4300608

And I can’t figure out what model it is.
    I need to also know this for the headers I plan on buying, knowing whether I’m regular or oval port!
  • tomwithannl
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

If it is a 6g74 (3.5) DOHC )(quad cam = 4 cams total = 2 cams per head) it is not an NL.
    NL was the only 6g74 (3.5) gen 2 with a SOHC = 2 cams total = 1 cam per head.
    Having said that with you in NZ, imports from other areas could have a MIVEC or other engine not normally seen by us here in Australia.
    If you look at pics on google for single and quad cam 6g74's you will see the different looks of the two.

Tom
    Last edited by tomwithannl; 27-06-19, 10:02 AM.
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• 98NL GL
      • Oct 2011
      • Cairns

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
      If it is a 6g74 (3.5) DOHC )(quad cam = 4 cams total = 2 cams per head) it is not an NL.
      NL was the only 6g74 (3.5) gen 2 with a SOHC = 2 cams total = 1 cam per head.
      Having said that with you in NZ, imports from other areas could have a MIVEC or other engine not normally seen by us here in Australia.
      If you look at pics on google for single and quad cam 6g74's you will see the different looks of the two.

Tom
      I believe 1996 should be NJ, if its quad cam (3.5 DOHC) then its a NK. NL were 3.5 SOHC from 97 - 2000. This obviously is for the Australian market.

Cheers
      SAM
      XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
      1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
      1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
      2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Slight aside-but looking on the parts list for US model cars they advertise knock sensors for 1999 model cars. I'm assuming that means they got better ignition advance with the ability to retard compared to us poor povo aussies. I always thought that the cars from the same year would be the same the whole world over bar local legal requirements (california for example).

Comment

• tomwithannl
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Maria Coast Tasmania.

The only Gen 2 that is fitted with a knock sensor is the O/S models with the Mivec motor.
          I am pretty sure the local Pajeros only had it from NP onwards.

Tom
          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
          1953 Morris Minor ute
          1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
          2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Cars aren't the same wordwide and they are not stopped being built etc at the same time worldwide. For instance what we call a Gen 2 was still being buil in India until 2012, Philippines until 2008 etc. These vehilces also used different engines depending on the country. In addition, the Pajero in the UK was sold in either the LWB or SWB right from Gen, Gen 3 and even until now in Gen 4's.

Here in Australia the NJ had the 3.0L as standard and ths 3.5L DOHC as an option until Sept 1995 when the 3.0L was dropped.

Anyway back to the original OP and question. As stated above its hard to provide acurate info as models differ from country to country.

From what I know the SOHC 3.5L has round or regular ports and the DOHC version has oval ports.

I did a search online and found that the chassis number you provided is for a Japanese market Pajero so thus must have been imported to New Zealand.

The chassis number is also listed on Partsouq.com so looking on there confirms it has oval ports.

Hope this helps.
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
              Cars aren't the same wordwide and they are not stopped being built etc at the same time worldwide. For instance what we call a Gen 2 was still being buil in India until 2012, Philippines until 2008 etc. These vehilces also used different engines depending on the country. In addition, the Pajero in the UK was sold in either the LWB or SWB right from Gen, Gen 3 and even until now in Gen 4's.

Here in Australia the NJ had the 3.0L as standard and ths 3.5L DOHC as an option until Sept 1995 when the 3.0L was dropped.

Anyway back to the original OP and question. As stated above its hard to provide acurate info as models differ from country to country.

From what I know the SOHC 3.5L has round or regular ports and the DOHC version has oval ports.

I did a search online and found that the chassis number you provided is for a Japanese market Pajero so thus must have been imported to New Zealand.

The chassis number is also listed on Partsouq.com so looking on there confirms it has oval ports.

Hope this helps.
              Good job!
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Benji3500
                • May 2019
                • Auckland, New Zealand

Hope this helps.
                This has helped me so much thank you mate.
                I was worried I was going to have to pay for labour to get it checked out...
                Yeah it is a jap import to NZ
                going by the attachment shows that its oval...?
                Another question I always thought due to being a 96 im NJ but am I actually NK?
                Thanks again for all the help guys
                Attached Files

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

yes you could be early NK change over year for NJ to NK is 97 - one of the things I noticed here was NJ had orange on black dash dials the NK has White on black... other than that there is not a lot of difference - both have 3500 DOHC options here but according to my hand book only Auto for NJ in the exceed line - I would not count on that though either

I believe DOHC were all oval port exhaust and I also thought that they came with a knock sensor due to higher compression ratio than other Pajero 3.5's
                  1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                  *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                  1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Benji3500
                    • May 2019
                    • Auckland, New Zealand

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                    yes you could be early NK change over year for NJ to NK is 97 - one of the things I noticed here was NJ had orange on black dash dials the NK has White on black... other than that there is not a lot of difference - both have 3500 DOHC options here but according to my hand book only Auto for NJ in the exceed line - I would not count on that though either

I believe DOHC were all oval port exhaust and I also thought that they came with a knock sensor due to higher compression ratio than other Pajero 3.5's
                    Thanks for the info. I am orange on black dials too so im assuming im late 96.
                    From research and that site part souq mine is a ZR-1 model.

I will be going on the bass that I am oval port from that site the exploded diagram does show them being oval.
                    Otherwise for me to find out I would need to pay fro labour to find out then pay again for more labour to get them fitted!
                    Thanks again guys

Comment

• aussieintas
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Sorell, Tasmania

ZR-1 is a model in Japan, bit like GLX or GLS here in Australia.

Partsouq.com is acurate bud so I'd be confident in oval ports plus as I stated all DOHC were oval ports.
                      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• stumagoo
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Perth WA S.O.R

Partsouq.com is acurate bud so I'd be confident in oval ports plus as I stated all DOHC were oval ports.

this is the information you need to take from all that mentioned before
                        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X