• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benji3500
    • May 2019
    • Auckland, New Zealand

Project 1996 SWB Pajero 3500 V6

Hey guys

Literally just bought this last week and there is a few mods I want to do.
    Firstly I’ll be doing preventative maintenance cam belt and water pump, and other recommendations to do?

- Headers/extractors
    I’ve seen these which are available, wildcat headers.

- Decating the V6 which is easily done.
    - Fitting a free flowing muffler. (Recommendations)
    - Snorkel and/or an air intake just a kn panel will that suffice?
    - piggyback ecu tune

From an aesthetic perspective could someone point me in the right direction for:
    - Lift kit
    - Suspension
    - Size tyre
    - Bull bars and front lighting
    - Bonnet has struts

Thanks in advance guys
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

I genuinely dont think that the piggyback is going to net you $1000 worth of performance/economy/anystyle of gain the tunes in the later ones are as aggressive as any rally art or similar for the NA magna's and I pick that yours is not a lot different. also there is not that much gain to be had in a NA without doing supporting mods. The idea of a snorkel and exhaust is good and will gain you more than the ecu upgrade for about the same price.

other than that you list is a good start to have a fun swb . remember you are lookinga at a near on 200hp engine to start with
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• aussieguy
      • Oct 2015
      • Brisbane

Full service unless you know do timing belt and water pump, do a compression test while you have access to the plugs, do plugs and leads. Replace all fuilds and I mean all. Then if you have some money left time to start on the other stuff.
      05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
      02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• PajeroNL
        • Jun 2016
        • Clarem

While you are doing the timing belt, replace belt tensioner and the water pump with a full unit, not the cheaper half pumps you can buy on the internet, replace the camshaft oil seals and the front main oil seal. Replace the fan belts while you have them off.

As others as noted do the plugs and plug leads unless you know the service history. This will require replacement of the rocker cover seals and the seals around the plugs. Both go hard with age and leak. If you elect to do that I would pull the injectors and get them cleaned. Replace the injector seals that go hard/leak.

The rear camshaft oil seals also have a tendency to leak. Again go hard with age.

Full set of coolant hoses.

All of the above can be done with the engine in situ. However, you will have less scraped knuckles if you pull the engine. If you do that replace the clutch if necessary and rear main seal.

Then you should have a reliable engine.

Anything that is rubber and hasn’t been replaced is prone to failure. What I have summarised is everything I have replaced on the last 2 years on an NL engine with only 140,000kms.

After that add the go faster and cosmetic bits. You may get better value from a front locker than a lift and larger tyres on a SWB.

The front can be lifted by tightening up the torsion bars, but if you more than 2” expect short service life from the CVs.

If you start doing lifts, changing shocks etc I would be carefully checking and replacing bushes, ball joints, tie rod ends etc as necessary, and particularly where you are pulling apart anyway.

My current project is replacing the boots on the gearshift and transfer shift. More rubber stuff that has failed with age resulting in oil leaks.... Where oil leaks dirt and water gets on to destroy the engine, gearbox, engine etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

Welcome Benji.

I too, am in NZ with a 3.5 shorty. I’d suggest driving it before you plan on to many engine upgrades. Spend your money on oils, and change the lot. Don’t bother with a K & N, just put a normal paper filter in, they filter the best.

See if you can find an old set of Nissan GQ swb springs, they will give your Paj a nice lift for a nice price.

Try 4wdbits.co.nz for parts. Also Ironman etc.
          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Benji3500
            • May 2019
            • Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.

From this I have made a list of preventative maintenance to do before I modify some what.

- Timing belt & water pump full unit.
            - Compression test
            - Plugs & leads
            - Replace fluids
            - Belt Tensioner
            - Camshaft oil seals
            - Front main oil seal
            - Fan belts
            - Rocker cover seals
            - Seals around plugs
            - Check injectors and seals
            - Coolant hoses
            - Check bushes/ball joints/tie rod ends
            - Check all original rubber

Thats what is being done as we speak and I dropped the car off today.
            I am also getting a custom exhaust into a free flow muffler and 3" tip done at the same time.

Do you have any recommendations on which headers to go for or would you go for those wildcat ones still available?
            Which lift kits do you recommend?
            Im also wanting 33" A/T tyres what's the widest I can fit without any modifications? its being used on the road and beach because i'll occasionally be towing.
            I have changed my mind regarding to the piggyback tune, bag for buck a tuner here pretty much said the same as you guys minimal power gains 4-6KW max.
            With regards to the bull bars there isn't big selection for the 96' SWB Paj. Tempted to just go for a nudge bar instead.

What headlight bulbs are in the paj because ill change them from being that yellow tint to a brighter white!

Another other recommendations would be much appreciated
            Last edited by Benji3500; 04-06-19, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• aussieguy
              • Oct 2015
              • Brisbane

You want to spend some money here a site for you.
              scs4x4.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, scs4x4.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Be sure to use google translate.
              05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
              02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• Benji3500
                • May 2019
                • Auckland, New Zealand

Originally posted by aussieguy View Post
                You want to spend some money here a site for you.
                scs4x4.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, scs4x4.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Be sure to use google translate.
                After all your advice I did all the preventative maintenance mentioned.
                Plus I’ll be doing the bushes too!

So far I’ve done a 2” lift kit with 33” fallen ATs
                Muffler has been done but I plan to do headers too.
                Having slight issue I’m not sure whether I’m the genie oval port or the normal wildcat headers..?
                Been looking at tunes and a piggyback pnp is the easiest! AEM do a FIC6 where it can be tuned some what!

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

several of my mates here in WA have reported that they have not noticed any gain from headers on their own - some have fitted to stock exhaust others have fitted to and already modded exhaust - the only who have noticed were those who have fitted a whole system at once and that seems to be little different to those who have fitted a cat back system.

That said Mitsi v6 exhaust manifolds are reknown for cracking and causing bad O2 sensor readings.... extractors are useful just for this and I have had a few reportys that they do improve fuel economy due to this
                  1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                  1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Benji3500
                    • May 2019
                    • Auckland, New Zealand

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                    several of my mates here in WA have reported that they have not noticed any gain from headers on their own - some have fitted to stock exhaust others have fitted to and already modded exhaust - the only who have noticed were those who have fitted a whole system at once and that seems to be little different to those who have fitted a cat back system.

That said Mitsi v6 exhaust manifolds are reknown for cracking and causing bad O2 sensor readings.... extractors are useful just for this and I have had a few reportys that they do improve fuel economy due to this
                    Thanks for that mate.
                    Currently I am not sure which ones I need, oval port or regular.
                    What would you define as a whole system?
                    Currently running a custom 2.5” from the cat back to a muffler.
                    Would you suggest removing the cat? With a sports cat or a resonator..?
                    Appreciate your thoughts!

Comment

• Benji3500
                      • May 2019
                      • Auckland, New Zealand

Need help, I can’t got the life of me figure out whether mine is an NJ or not... I’ve always been under the impression it is but need help.

It’s a 96 swb 3500 dohc.
                      Have attached a pic to help

Comment

• Tonestar
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Benji3500 View Post
                        Need help, I can’t got the life of me figure out whether mine is an NJ or not... I’ve always been under the impression it is but need help.

It’s a 96 swb 3500 dohc.
                        Have attached a pic to help
                        You have probably already worked this out, but you can just do a search on the VIN on one of the Australian sites. Likelihood is that is an NJ based on the year and that it is a 3.5l petrol V6.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2000
                          • Tasmania

Would be nj for sure , I don’t think we got the swb in the nk and nl started in 97 & was sohc.
                          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• stumagoo
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Perth WA S.O.R

96 is the change over year for NJ and NK but if you look at the vin number and other details it will give you vehicle specifics... over here the numbers include the model ie NJ NK NL but you are in NZ so ther may be a variation either with it being an import (I know how many there are over there) or even just being non Aussie - the reality though is there is very little difference between NJ and NK's as far as the engines go - I believe its more about the interior options

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X