Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Dust proofing late model rear door lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Dust proofing late model rear door lock?

Getting prepped for a central australia trip later this year with multiple dirt roads planned and thinking of dust incursion into rear lock.

Ive seen video of a guy who cut a hole in rear trip for access on his NM / NP so he could open the lock manually from inside the boot when it got stuck. Could have done that on my NP. Don’t really want to do that in my NX.

Anyone got any ideas of either
    A) what I should do / take on the trip to minimise likelihood of it jamming from dust - eg can of compressed air
    B) how I could get access easily to the NX rear door lock if it gets stuck, without cutting into the plastic trim etc.
    C) whether it’s even a problem anymore on later models but I assume so as the lock looks the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • wazza5
    • Jan 2015
    • WA

Rear Lock

I stuff at piece of foam (cut to size) up into the rear door handle opening to reduce dust from entering via rear door handle opening. I find that I can still open the rear door without removing the foam.
    The main entry of dust is via the spare wheel carrier. If you open the spare wheel cover you will see that there is clear access for dust to enter the lock. I also place another piece of foam here to reduce dust entering the lock. This piece stays in place until I return home and then is removed to allow cleaning and removal of dust.
    Also carry a can of Inox, just in case. Inox allows for removal of dust.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
      I stuff at piece of foam (cut to size) up into the rear door handle opening to reduce dust from entering via rear door handle opening. I find that I can still open the rear door without removing the foam.

The main entry of dust is via the spare wheel carrier. If you open the spare wheel cover you will see that there is clear access for dust to enter the lock. I also place another piece of foam here to reduce dust entering the lock. This piece stays in place until I return home and then is removed to allow cleaning and removal of dust.

Also carry a can of Inox, just in case. Inox allows for removal of dust.

Excellent advice!! Thanks wazza! Foam’s a great idea and wouldn’t have thought to look in spare wheel carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

I had a similar concern about being unable to unlock the rear door of my Challenger. Solution at post #1474 here:

Pajero may have a similar mechanism to which you could apply this idea.
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I use a bit of foam stuffed in to the handle too but hadn't thought of looking inside the wheel cover. Two of us had issues opening the rear door after travelling through the back roads around Birdsville, Innaminka etc for 4 weeks. I managed to get it working with a bit of WD 40 spray but was worried that the dust turns to light mud inside. Still, it kept me going until I got home.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• jimnyjerry
            • Dec 2011
            • BlueMts

Great info on keeping dust out of rear door lock and latch. Will have to look at the spare wheel enclosure. 6 weeks in bush in FN Qld started to make my rear door latch play up.
            2007 NS R shortie, smartbar, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard, Bridgestone AT Duelers

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Comment

• gemster
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Gold Coast

Hey JJ, How did you go this year up 'north'?..... Hope you left some for Me....

Gemster....
              YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
              And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
              ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Wazza999
                • Jun 2018
                • Canberra

I've just had the same issue after driving the Oodnadatta Track and the two Lake Eyre PARs-lots of bulldust. I was really worried that the door had dropped its innards. Would have been fun pulling out the cargo barrier to get entry with the vehicle fully loaded. Eventually worked it open locking /unlocking and reefing. Silicone spray (lots of) seems to have prevented a recurrence for the moment. Will give the foam a go next trip. Thanks to wazza5 for the solution.

Comment

• Garc
                  • May 2015
                  • Perth

I use the foam in the handle but also wash water into the lock latch area after every trip. It runs out a hole in the bottom ,of the door
                  Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• dean
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
                    I've just had the same issue after driving the Oodnadatta Track and the two Lake Eyre PARs-lots of bulldust. I was really worried that the door had dropped its innards. Would have been fun pulling out the cargo barrier to get entry with the vehicle fully loaded. Eventually worked it open locking /unlocking and reefing. Silicone spray (lots of) seems to have prevented a recurrence for the moment. Will give the foam a go next trip. Thanks to wazza5 for the solution.
                    Fun alright...Simpson Desert, family of four, moving the cargo barrier is all we could do each night.
                    All part of the adventure.
                    Dean
                    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X