• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Review: James Baroud Espace Evolution Roof Top Tent"

Pain in the back! Comfort & ease of camping in the Scrub. Thread has been moved HERE

Picked up the Espace from Track Trailer Bayswater

Hi all, very happy with the Espace & the service I received today from David at Track Trailer was fantastic, they installed it for me which was great & much appreciated.

Going on:

All fitted:

Very happy with the drive home too hardly noticed it on.. just a little wind noise every now & then at 110Klms on freeway otherwise none..

I had filled the Paj up the night before & normally see 400-425 to the half way mark & its just above half & it's done 395 so can't really say yet but looks good at the moment the Townsville trip will give me a good idea.

The unit itself is very well made weighing 59kg.

Pic from back:

Gus.

PS. sorry forgot to take pics of it set up as I was more interested in that... So I'll add those later too.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Specifications

Espace Evolution specifications

Construction:

• Wind resistance of the tent when opened: 120 km/hr
    • Reinforced upper and lower hull with stainless steel fittings
    • 4 x ALKO supporting gas struts
    • 4 x adjustable safety catches to secure closed
    • 2 x built-in aluminium rails to attach the hull onto the roof racks
    • 6 x mounting brackets for attaching to roof bars
    • Fabric secured to hulls by cable fitted into recessed groove
    • 2 x air inlets with dust proof system
    • 2 x fixing points for the ladder on the hull
    • 1 x aluminium ladder (and storage cover), with sliding action to follow vehicle movement
    • 1 x removable and rechargeable LED torch

Ventilation:

• Ventilation fan
    • Capacity 11.6m3/minute
    • Automatic and silent operation
    • Vent powered by an integrated solar panel, giving 24 hours battery life between charges
    • Draws away accumulated heat and avoids condensation build up
    • Supplied with dual blades allowing vent to function as a fan or extractor

Fabric:

• 1 x back door with mosquito netting, zipper and Velcro fastening
    • 2 x side doors with mosquito netting and rain awning
    • Top quality double stitched, aluminised polyester fabric. (6 x ISO ratings)
    • Stitched-in elastic drawstring around the tent retracts the fabric when stowing
    • High density foam mattress with zipped cover. ( 3 x ISO ratings)
    • 6 x fabric coatings; reflects the sun rays, anti UV, non perishable, 100% waterproof and breathable
    • 1 x fixed storage pocket across the width of tent
    • 1 x ceiling storage net

Options:

• 2 x auxiliary tail lights
    • Color of hull
    • Thermal insulation, gain up to 6 degrees in winter

Guarantee:

• 5 years guarantee on fabric, hull and mechanism
    • Traceability with serial number

Looking forward to the Trip to Townsville & will report on all features, ease of use & economy.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• BrisVegas
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2009
      • Townsville, QLD

When are you in town mate? Drop into Townsville TJM and say g'day, I work there these days.
      'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• Gus
        Administrator
        • Mar 2008
        • Traralgon. Vic

Will do mate leave here Boxing Day PM me your mobile number

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• David Anderson
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Albury

Looks slick - what sort of money are they Gus ?
          09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Gus
            Administrator
            • Mar 2008
            • Traralgon. Vic

Set up!

Here's some pics of the Espace Evolution set up:

Rechargeable Torch & the Solar Exhaust/Fan

Went around to AL's & had a play setting it up & closing. As the clips to fasten down the back are on the side you must always open back 1st so you don't bend or weaken the mounting points of the clips & when closing Front 1st. I have found when closing if you pull the cord at the back down, but don't clip this will allow the front to go down easier which you clip down 1st. Doing it this way stops the need to push the roof towards the back as you pull down which is not as easy with a crook back.

Also I'll make up a strap that I can hook onto the tow hook which will hold the back down while & if I'm by myself.

Had a good lie down on the Mattress it's very supportive so my back will like that too!

I've already done 1 modification, (suggested by David at Track Trailer), to the Ladder. It's self levelling which is great for the bush but setting up on slippery surface or on concrete it can slip so I've drilled a 6mm hole & added a bolt & wing nut to lock in position, while at it I drilled 1 to lock closed too.

Now bring on the Townsville Trip.

Gus

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Bogger
              Unregistered as asked
              • May 2011

No doub't it's the ducks guts Gus............... looks good as well as functional.
              Just need to work out how I can move it back on the roof far enough so I don't have to cut my kayaks in half so I can fit them both up there in length available

Comment

• Gus
                Administrator
                • Mar 2008
                • Traralgon. Vic

Cheers Pete,

Do a little Google search some of there models will take racks mouted to them just not sure of the load limit & weight of kayaks though.

Gus

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Doesn't look half bad Gus. Pretty roomy inside
                  Solar fan is the go mate, you could fart in there and it would get sucked out before the missus cottons on
                  Dave
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

😄 no mate can't run fast enough

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Scouter1
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • Sydney NSW

Nice looking rooftop Gus, look forward to hearing how it goes on the track.

Cheers,
                      Stephen
                      Last edited by Gus; 22-12-14, 07:31 AM. Reason: Thanks Scouter sent Defender details via PM
                      2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

Thanks Stephen, leaving Boxing Day so will report when I can..

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Scouter1
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sydney NSW

Cheers,
                          Stephen
                          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Gus
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2008
                            • Traralgon. Vic

Just returned from our Townsville trip.. On way up we had 3 nights & again 3 nights on the return trip so I can say Sue & I are very happy with the Espace Evolution.

Very simple & quick set up. Using the tie down strap to pull the back down so the roof is level hooking over the towbar allows closing the front a breeze, doing this allows the front to go straight down without pressure towards the back at the same time.

As reported I have back issues so it's important that I point out how the back stood up to setting up & packing up.

Setting up is not an issue as you unclip the back 1st & up it goes same with the front..

Getting in & out is as good as I can expect yes I get a little twinge but I get that getting in & out of the Paj so the ladder hasn't caused any problems.
                            And a hell of a lot easier than I find getting out of a swag!
                            Sleeping is comfortable but I will add a little foam under the pillow end due to my Neck I need to raise the pillow a little, (to flat for me fine for Sue).

We had very humid weather, with the canvas rolled up we were well protected by the mesh screens so air flow was great, turning the solar fan on too, so sleeping wasn't problem.

I have to open the roof top so when closing I'll take a few pics with the tie down strap holding the back down while I close the front.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Gus
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2008
                              • Traralgon. Vic

Bit of information in regards to travelling with the Rooftop economy wise:

As you know it's a once a year trip for me with family up north so I can give you an idea how it effected the economy..

Last year fully loaded with the roof rack on, (only had the Awning on it).

I reported the following after that trip Reviewing the Tradesman Rack:

On the economy as reported on way up 1 got between 10.5 & 11 ltrs per 100ks sitting on the limits when safe.. HERE (Post 20).

With the James Baroud:

With the Roof Top best I got was 11.11 & worst 13.4 average for the trip was an impressive 12.0 ltrs/100Ks.

Wind noise wasn't an issue, at 110 Klms/hr I got a whistle up on the drivers side & discovered the pull down strap was the issue so when clipping down I made sure it was tucked in otherwise all good. So economy has been effected but not enough to worry me about taking it off, at this stage it lives there!

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X