Clear All
  • Red_101au
    • Jul 2017
    • Port Pirie SA

Oil Flood

Hi all,
    Recently blew the head gasket on my Pajero

Finally got around to rebuilding the top end yesterday
    Got the VRS kit and joyfully started the re-assembly of the motor.

After I got it all together I decided to give her a whirl....
    I noticed after cranking her over a for a while trying to get her to fire up that there is a flood of oil literally streaming out under the car...

It appears to be flowing around the gearbox but almost impossible to see where it is coming from.

I am wondering if I may have neglected to connect an oil line at the rear of the motor somewhere..... Any ideas??

I was positive I had connected everything but this oil is literally flowing like a waterfall.
    I have put my hands down between the motor and firewall as far as possible and cannot find any sign from there.... hands come out dry.

It doesnt appear to be on the bellhousing at all from what I can reach

I really am stumped on this so all advice is muchly appreciated.
    1990 NG Pajero V6 Wagon
    1999 PA Challenger V6
    2015 LA Mirage
  • TomW
    • Mar 2017
    • Melbourne

Not really any oil lines as such at the back of the motor. Sounds almost like a misaligned rocker cover seal or cam cap seal (round black seal at the back of the head), but usually you would be able to follow the stream of oil. When I did the heads for the first time on my Pajero I stuffed up the rocker cover seals and had a sizable stream pouring down the back of the motor.

Only other possibility would be the rear main, but unlikely unless you removed the engine and replaced it.

Comment

• Red_101au
      • Jul 2017
      • Port Pirie SA

Well after intense study of the situation, I decided to strip it all down again.

Surprise surprise and very embarrassing, I discovered that I had placed the head gaskets upside down and as such one of the oil ports on each head was not enclosed...

A very simple but rookie mistake.

While I had her off the road I decided it was time to totally removed all the gas system and repair all the wiring harness back to standard. When i got her there was not even a petrol tank in her but I acquired one and decided that it was going to run on petrol or not at all.

So after the second rebuild considering it had never run on petrol in all the time I had it.. I decided to also check the injectors while I was at it.

The injectors were totally gummed up and after a good cleaning and bench testing I discovered that only 4 were working correctly, one was only just a trickle and the last although clicked did not spray at all.
      So I also replaced the injectors......

It is now alive and has a new lease on life .... yeah!!!
      1990 NG Pajero V6 Wagon
      1999 PA Challenger V6
      2015 LA Mirage

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Simple mistake. Like the time I didnt remove an old o ring from an oil filter...oil everywhere...lol. Good to hear all worked out well.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Red_101au
          • Jul 2017
          • Port Pirie SA

Thanks Dicko
          yeah a little embarrassing, it's not like it's my first rodeo... really was a rookie mistake.

but I guess we have all been there in one way or another.
          as you say, at least I got it sorted out with no great hassle

Funny, I saw it as "Oh shit, now I have to strip the whole thing down again"
          but my mate said to me that I should look at it as a opportunity to get to know the engine even better.... I guess some people just have that optimistic side to them...

and that is what prompted me to check the injectors while I had it apart....
          turned out to be the right thing to do.... there is no way she would have run with the existing injectors and I would have had to strip it down yet again.

its good to have friends that encourage you to go that little further.

and it's good to have forums like this where friends we never meet can also encourage and advise us too.

Bob
          1990 NG Pajero V6 Wagon
          1999 PA Challenger V6
          2015 LA Mirage

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X