• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reciprovac
    • Jan 2011
    • broadford Victoria, Australia

Seat modification report

Yesterday I posted that my 2014 Challenger was booked in for a seat modification to improve the park benches that were original .
    The results have been fantastic.
    The original foam was cut down and two layers of alternative product fitted.
    The back of the seat was cut away and a softer foam fitted here to give relief to lower spine pressure.
    There is no evidence that this work has been done except for a slightly more puffy look to the seats.
    This has been the best $360 I have spent on the vehicle (two seats done).
    As I believe this has been one of the more constant complaints on this forum I feel justified in passing on the details of the person who carried out this work.
    The company is Inside cars ,factory 6 Woodbine crt ,Wantirna or www.inside cars.com.au, phone 03 9800 0003.
    Adam says he can do seats that are transported to him for distant customers.
    My vehicle now has seats that are much softer to sit on and as a result provide comfort not experienced since purchasing the vehicle.
    Regards
    2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
    Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.
  • Tone13
    • May 2014
    • Victoria

That's great news and a reasonable price for two seats.

Are yours cloth or leather seats?
    Last edited by Tone13; 23-04-15, 06:58 PM.
    2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Sounds like you are onto a good thing - well done.

The ML Triton seats were worse than yours, so it may transform those cars also.

Perhaps you should offer to show the MMAL rep how much better it is now and they may "consider" for future models - I don't think they do much, if any, local testing or product clinics these days. I was told MMC electronically "mapped" rough tracks in SA so they could replicate in Japan and avoid the need to bring test cars to Oz - it may work for the suspension, but they forgot about the dust sealing!

In the modern world, you shouldn't have to do your own improvements to seating - too much assuming & penny pinching, I think.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• fester
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
        In the modern world, you shouldn't have to do your own improvements to seating - too much assuming & penny pinching, I think.
        Nor should we have to drive around the auto box but yet we still do. For the people who still think the Challenger is a good package for the price they possibly got the seats they paid for.

Comment

• robdavo
          • Dec 2013
          • Wantirna, Vic

Reciprovac. They are just around the corner from me, so will pop in at some point and check them out. Couple of questions for you though....
          How long did they take to actually modify both the seats?
          Assume as you have a PC, then the seats have side airbags. Were they fully aware of the do's and don'ts of disconnecting airbags?
          How much assistance did they give you in actually deciding the modifications to the seats (driver/passenger weights, pain zones, comfort level, vehicle usage, expectations etc ?
          Did you investigate the addition of air lumbar support or similar products that they may offer?

Sorry for the inquisition, but I assume that others will also be interested in any additional info and insight you can offer, as the seating quality is a subject that has oft been raised.
          Rob
          MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

• Tone13
            • May 2014
            • Victoria

Originally posted by fester View Post
            Nor should we have to drive around the auto box but yet we still do. For the people who still think the Challenger is a good package for the price they possibly got the seats they paid for.
            Nothing wrong with making small improvements. Very hard to find a car at any price point that's perfect.......
            2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• reciprovac
              • Jan 2011

Seat modifications

Originally posted by Tone13 View Post
              That's great news and a reasonable price for two seats.

Are yours cloth or leather seats?
              My seats were cloth.
              Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• reciprovac
                • Jan 2011

Air bag seats

Originally posted by robdavo View Post
                Reciprovac. They are just around the corner from me, so will pop in at some point and check them out. Couple of questions for you though....
                How long did they take to actually modify both the seats?
                Assume as you have a PC, then the seats have side airbags. Were they fully aware of the do's and don'ts of disconnecting airbags?
                How much assistance did they give you in actually deciding the modifications to the seats (driver/passenger weights, pain zones, comfort level, vehicle usage, expectations etc ?
                Did you investigate the addition of air lumbar support or similar products that they may offer?

Sorry for the inquisition, but I assume that others will also be interested in any additional info and insight you can offer, as the seating quality is a subject that has oft been raised.
                Rob
                It took 4 hrs to do both seats,if you ring Adam he can send you an Email showing the modifications.
                Very aware of air bags and even tested connection prior to vehicle hand over.
                Did not ask for Lumbar support as that is not my problem but I am sure the option exists.
                We discussed my requirements before work commenced.
                Work is given a warrantee,so no problems if issues arise.
                Regards

Comment

• aus_andyk
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Melbourne

Reciprovac

Any chance of some pics of the updated seats?

Not looking to hijack this thread, but are the XLS seats much better than the base model Challenger?

Is there any benefit to obtaining XLS seats from a wreck for the base model?

Since a recent drive to Sydney from Melbourne, I am looking for alternatives, as I have issues with my lower back.

Cheers
                  | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• Tone13
                    • May 2014
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by aus_andyk View Post
                    Reciprovac

Any chance of some pics of the updated seats?

Not looking to hijack this thread, but are the XLS seats much better than the base model Challenger?

Is there any benefit to obtaining XLS seats from a wreck for the base model?

Since a recent drive to Sydney from Melbourne, I am looking for alternatives, as I have issues with my lower back.

Cheers
                    Personally, neither me or my wife have any issues with the xls leather seats and we do a lot of longish trips. A friend got in my car the other day and commented that the seats were quite firm. The xls seats are firmer than most but not to the point that I find them uncomfortable. I do have a bit of a bad back though and would like a little more lumbar support for long drives but I've felt the same thing in pretty much every car I've been in.

Comment

• reciprovac
                      • Jan 2011

Seat modifications

I have suffered from Arthritis for many years in my tail bone area,probably as a result of being a fitter and turner for many years.
                      Most vehicle seats are a problem for me with the last Pajero being the best.
                      The Challenger felt OK for the test drive, but longer drives my B-- gets very sore.
                      I priced Recaro at an amazing $3000 each.
                      As I cannot afford another vehicle improving the existing was the only alternative in order to preserve my warranty and get some comfort.
                      Cars inside were one of a number of trimmers who said they could soften the seat by removing a layer of hard foam and replacing it with softer materials.
                      I selected cars inside because they were the closest to home.
                      When I delivered the vehicle I was asked did I require lower back relief in the seats,I had not heard of this but it was explained that a cut out is made and softer foam inserted where your tail bone would rest.
                      This was the perfect improvement for my condition and I am very happy with the result.
                      The seat looks original,I notice a slight increase in bulk,but would defy others to notice,so no point in photos really.
                      If you are interested ring the guy and ask for an Email showing what is done.
                      No there were no calculations or other estimates,after all it is just a lump of foam which is cleverly modified to provide a softer seat for those who require it.
                      Regards

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

Would have to say that I expect the XLS seats are better than the base model as I can't complain heavily about them but on longer drives (3hr) I still get a bit of a sore arse/hip/lower back. I tend to have it tilted back otherwise the seating position is not great. Wife lately after a couple of trips has been complaining a little about the passenger seat as well.

Comment

• 5TA
                          • Nov 2014
                          • Wagga Wagga, NSW

We find the drivers seat to be good (now 40,000 km) but lumbar support poor. Driver and passenger seats now have spring steel seat supports available at camping shows (and I am sure elsewhere) and the difference is amazing. However, we are all different and require different solutions.
                          PB 2011 LS white manual, OEM towbar and rear cargo barrier, Redarc EB brake controller, window tint, ORS drawers and fridge slide, Thule roof bars, Old Man Emu 200 kg-GVM suspension upgrade, towing 1400 kg wind-up camper trailer

Comment

• dave60
                            • Jul 2013
                            • Adelaide

I find the XLS leather seats with the electric adjustment to be about the best of any vehicle I have ever owned, even on long distance touring.

I have never found myself having to stick a balled fist into my back to relieve the pain as I have with other cars.

When I first test drove the Challenger it was a base model with standard seats and both the missus and I thought they were very average.
                            2013 pb challenger xls, nudge bar, CB, dash cam, Allin H/D towbar, roof bars, EGR mod, bushskinz, catch can, 23" light bar, awning, home made draws and fridge slide.

Comment

• selsij
                              • Sep 2011
                              • Orange, NSW 2800

Why isn't that MMA don't realise that the seats that come standard in all models of the Challenger are NOT to the correct set up for Australians?
                              They mat be alright for the shorter, lighter weight Asian frame but NOT for the Australian one. I've put spacers in my front seats, and whilst they are not perfect, they are much better. I don't feel that I am sliding off any more.
                              I'd gladly pay a few more dollars at initial purchase for some descent seats.
                              PB MY 11 Base Silver manual Challenger, OEM bull bar, Narva 150's, Uniden UH7700HF, Coil Rites, Cooper LT AT3's, Hayman Reese tow bar, twin 35 AH deep cycle batteries, Red Arc ebrh, Scan Gauge II, EvaCool 35, Oztrail Awning, Cree day lights, Sierra 753S Air card.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X