• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoldCV
    • Jun 2020
    • Central Victoria

QF Exceed tow bar

Hi all. New member and picking up a QF PS Exceed in around 7 days. Changing from a Kia Stinger GT so a massive change and 4WD learning curve!

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the stock MMAL towbar vs third party towbars? The dealer quoted around $1000. I won't be towing a caravan at this point, more lugging a couple of mountain bikes around, possibly an occasional tip run.

Cheers,

Warren.
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Hi Warren and welcome to the forum

I have a nx pajero so not intimately familiar with the ps. I would imagine that any (decent) aftermarket towbar would still meet all of the relevant legal requirements as far as strength etc. I will leave it up to other forum members familiar with the PS to advise any particular quirks

The only trap for older blokes like me is the wiring. As the vehicles use canbus, you must get the right loom, it's not just tapping into the tail lights anymore.

Apologies if you are already aware of this but it's real easy to look online and see plenty of bare towbars for sale which seem a better buy than the factory jobs but still need the loom.

Of course a dealer fitted bar will be covered by some kind of warranty. But what goes wrong with a towbar? (other than wiring) Dealers have also been known to blame accessories fitted by others for problems ( and sometimes rightfully so!!)

Just a few ramblings but realistically I would think a quality towbar fitted by a reputable mechanic with some kind of warranty would be as good as any dealer fitted bar.

Enjoy your PS. They are great vehicles
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

A towbar to fit a a Pajero Sport will be between $800 and $1200 fitted, this is because it needs a separate ECU that plugs into the cars wiring loom.
      Genuine towbar hangs low and protrudes does it offers some protection of the rear PLA tic bumper but at the loss of departure angle off road. Some people do not like the look of this style of towbar.
      Hayman Reese and TAG do a concealed towbar that sits behind the rear bumper cover if you are after the integrated look.
      All towbars need to pass the Australia Design Rules so no problems with warranty despite what the Mitsubishi salesperson tells you.
      If you are intending to go offroad and or tow an off-road camper trailer or van which has a high drawbar level then the concealed style is better. Also make sure the mount the wiring plug up high so it does not get damaged, most towbars have the plug hanging down low and it is easily damaged.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2019
        • Victoria

Genuine QF towbar now fits BEHIND the rear bar and is concealed. FINALLY :-)

Anothe big advantage with genuine Towbars and wiring is Trailer assist. This will sense your trailer starting to weave and will control fuelling or individual wheel speeds to correct this before driver notices. This will only work with genuine accessory wiring though.
        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks for the updated info DDDJ.
          Concealed and Trailer Assist function, for me it would be a no brainer decision to seriously genuine.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Two Emms
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2020
            • Mansfield, Vic

X2
            Based on all that, I would go for genuine.
            2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• pajeromack
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • NSW

The other benefit is that the genuine ones don't interfere with the reversing sensors.
              The aftermarket ones may interfere. I had that problem with my Challenger.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2019
                • Victoria

Genuine ones do if you leave the tongue in. But you can set rear sensors to towbar mode, which changes the detection area
                2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• GoldCV
                  • Jun 2020
                  • Central Victoria

Thanks everyone for the feedback, if the genuine tow bar is concealed now for the QF, I think I'll go with this option. $1267 (assuming that is fitted price) on MMAL website plus $37 for a ball.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by GoldCV View Post
                    Thanks everyone for the feedback, if the genuine tow bar is concealed now for the QF, I think I'll go with this option. $1267 (assuming that is fitted price) on MMAL website plus $37 for a ball.

$37 for a tow ball.

Chrome tow ball Supercheap $16.49

Comment

• GoldCV
                      • Jun 2020
                      • Central Victoria

Yep, sadly MMAL isn't renowned for their sharp pricing on accessories! I loved the first line in a review of the Super cheap tow ball...

★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. ยท a year ago
                      Wow, what a great tow ball!
                      I'm so happy with this tow ball, I used it to tow something.
                      Last edited by GoldCV; 29-06-20, 04:46 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• laidlaym
                        • Feb 2008

Trailer Braking

With the sophisticated electrics on the PS does the factory kit run the electric trailer brakes or do we still need to fit a separate system as I have in the past?

Mark in Research
                        Mark in Research
                        NM GLX Manual 4M41 with clean ashtray and 2 DIN ICE

Comment

• OzzyRookie
                          • May 2018
                          • Banora Point NSW

You will be better served with a genuine electric trailer brake harness and your choice of trailer brake unit , i personally use Redarc towpro elite .

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Victoria

The Redarc trailer brake kit is an optional accessory. Its pretty much plug and play, just need to swap some wires around under the footwell and add one under the bonnet
                            2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Johba
                              • Feb 2022
                              • noosa

do you get many options on the tow ball hitch heights as the factory fitted tow ball hitch is quite small

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X