• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

OMG Jeep Grand Cherokee

I was tossing between a new petrol v6 Jeep and a new Pajero a few months ago and decided on a work horse. Shivers ran up my spine reading this:

03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Onsan
    • Aug 2019
    • Townsville

I don’t know what worse, the price for a new engine and fuel pump or the $170/hr labour rate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

I think every line-up has its share of lemons but this......
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Mundy55
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Gold Coast

Before I bought the Paj, I had driven a Disco 2 for 12 years. I finally decided to get a new 4wd after the second tow in 3 months. Sitting in the passenger seat of the tow truck for both tows, having opined it was perhaps time for a new 4wd, both the 2 different drivers said essentially the same thing: "Don't buy a Jeep. I tow more Jeeps than all the other SUVs put together."

After 3.5 years and 95k km, very happy with the reliability and VFM of the Paj.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

I feel very sorry for them - totally unacceptable treatment by the manufacturer.

Hopefully they can get some redress via Fair Trading and/or ACL Statutory Warranty (this does apply to secondhand cars, despite many people not realising it).

Unfortunately, it would appear Lepoards don't change their spots..........never disregard history!
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• farcanal
            • Mar 2010

My brother lives in Esperance, south east WA.
            He has mates with Jeeps who have to take them (sometimes on the back of a truck) to Perth for service and repairs.
            Some mechanics won't touch them.

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

I count 4 Jeeps, 2 of which are Grand Cherokees on my street. No doubt they are popular despite reported issues. I think the only redeeming factor is they look nice.

Comment

• JoshF
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Brisbane

as a kid I remember FIAT, Alfa Romeo and Lancia were all like this. FIAT owns jeep so maybe just the modern version of the story
                NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                  as a kid I remember FIAT, Alfa Romeo and Lancia were all like this. FIAT owns jeep so maybe just the modern version of the story
                  Nah, I think Jeep were building unreliable cars before Fiat took them over.

And what is this disrespecting the Lancia

Lancia is actually how I got into Pajeros. First car was a Beta, which was more enjoyable to drive than the VN V8 Commodores I had to service and "test drive" as an apprentice.

But I couldn't aspire to a Delta Intergrale, so become interested in Evo Lancers, then noticed how good the Paj's were going, and needed a camping, touring wagon.........

To quote a comment on a Youtube video -
                  Subaru "We won 3 constructors rally championships!"
                  Citroën "We won 8 constructors rally championships!"
                  Lancia "Hold my beer........."

Lancia is to rally what Pajero is to Dakar, except you can still buy a decent Pajero, ........for a little while
                  Last edited by pharb; 22-09-19, 04:29 PM. Reason: Update.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Dug1
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Far South Coast NSW

A Track Hawk would be neat! BUT only if I won Lotto!

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

Maybe this is the only reliable Jeep ...

Geoff
                      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• bennyb29
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Brisbane

Reminds me of the bloke from Melbourne who made a viral video of his Jeep Grand Cherokee lemon. Catchy tune, coupled with some good visuals made his story the talk of the town, even featured on the Sunrise show.
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• Terryo
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

I saw this on another forum and the comment was " We used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, thats why we now own a Prado."
                          I know some one who had a simple problem with a 10 year old Jeep and the Jeep dealer told him because it was more than 10 years old they couldn't fix it. He now owns a Dmax.
                          2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
                          NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
                          NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Terryo View Post
                            I saw this on another forum and the comment was " We used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, thats why we now own a Prado."
                            I know some one who had a simple problem with a 10 year old Jeep and the Jeep dealer told him because it was more than 10 years old they couldn't fix it. He now owns a Dmax.
                            Be careful what we say here! We may well be in the same boat wrt parts supply as our fleet ages. Sure - there are plenty of wrecked Pajeros, but even those will dry up some time. It must only be a matter of time before parts for the trusty 3.2 diesel and the petrol variants disappear.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X