• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Ground Anchors

I'd describe myself as a solo traveller, ie Wifey and two toddlers.

The paj has a winch however we all know it is as useful as flyscreen on a submarine without a suitable anchor point. So looking for thoughts on the technique of winching off a ground anchor.

An online search brings up the usual "boat anchor" like https://www.sherpa4x4.com.au/collect...d-winch-anchor
    Con is its weight at 16kg. Price, meh but wouldn't want to be any dearer at listed AUD$269.

There is also a product called the Lan-cor vis http://www.lan-cor.com/
    Weighs in at 9kg but price IMO is horrendous at NZ$465.22 plus P&H.

Then I came across the Deadman Offroad, https://www.deadmanoffroad.com/
    Versatile as it can anchor not only to the sand but rock and tree as well.

Lightweight and small pack-down. There is a Ronny Dahl Youtube of him trying it as well as a vid on the website.
    US$315 on special at the moment for the full kit which includes two soft shackles or you could just go for the Deadman by itself for US$189.95 and buy your own local soft shackles for less. Incidentally the Deadman can still be used with the conventional rated steel shackles Problem with all things Stateside is the killer shipping (plus GST now too ). Website also says its on backorder for another three weeks

My concern with the Lan-cor is encountering hard terrain. Whilst I think it would be fine in sand for the price I'd be after more surety of it being available in other terrains. But then again if the ground is too hard to drive the screw in what is the likelihood that you'd need it anyway?

So any real-life experiences out there with these or anything else?
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unfortunately there is no one ground anchor that does all soil types and winching conditions.
    they range from useless to fantastic, cheap to expensive, light to heavy so it really depends where you do most of your driving in difficult terrain.

When trees or rocks are not conveniently located in the direct line of pull then a winch extension strap between 2 anchor points and winch of the centre section of the strap.

In soft sand then burying your spare tyre and using this as an anchor point works, best buried about 30 degrees off vertical so the top of the wheel is away from the vehicle, the face of the wheel is facing the vehicle and the winch rope is attached to the centre hub of the wheel.

Winching can be a simple quick and easy way out of trouble if it is a forward straight line pull and you have just lost traction but when buried to the floor pan in sand or mud the extraction loads are huge and will stress your recovery gear to failure. Likewise if you are trying to winch over a rock ledge. Always try and make it easier on your winch and sometimes digging is your worse enemy, road building and jacking up individual wheels then back filling or placement of recovery tracks under the wheels is often a better option.

I have done most of my remote off road traveling as a solo vehicle and always had a power winch and on the few occasions I needed it I had to combine other techniques to assist the winch. Now days I just carry a long handle shovel, 2 sets of Maxtraxs, a mechanical screw jack, a scissor jack and long base boards, with these and a bit of time and common sense I can get myself out every situation that I have so far got myself into. However if the High Country or anywhere on the Great Dividing Range was my backyard then I would have a power winch.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Onslow
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

Do a search for Lan-cor on the forum. WA guys did some testing a while ago and were very impressed.
      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Garc
        • May 2015
        • Perth

Ronny Dahl (4 Wheeling in Australia You Tube channel) did a beach test of these some months ago. The sand bag/parachute thing was the best.
        Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Wow. I like that sand bag/parachute idea. Might have to look into this further. I reckon one could be made for the fraction of that price. 2 equaliser straps with a heavy duty pvc sewn in would do it easy. Due to both the weight and cost, I've been loathe to both carrying and purchasing a sand anchor. This idea fits the bill nicely. It can also be doubled as a damper blanket for snatching.

They even give you the sizing of the blanket: 1200 x 711.

That might not be in the spirit of the game, but it could be a game changer for me.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
            • May 2009
            • Perth

So I made some enquiries today. I can get something similar manufactured for about $200. So not a great saving to be had, but $100 is $100 bucks.

And I've since learned Ronnie did test the deadman in feb this year. google ronnie dahl deadman and you'll find it. It worked pretty well in (wet) beach sand.

Also, A mate informs me drifta sell them too, so freight from the states isn't an issue now.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Unfortunately there is no one ground anchor that does all soil types and winching conditions.
              they range from useless to fantastic, cheap to expensive, light to heavy so it really depends where you do most of your driving in difficult terrain.

When trees or rocks are not conveniently located in the direct line of pull then a winch extension strap between 2 anchor points and winch of the centre section of the strap.

In soft sand then burying your spare tyre and using this as an anchor point works, best buried about 30 degrees off vertical so the top of the wheel is away from the vehicle, the face of the wheel is facing the vehicle and the winch rope is attached to the centre hub of the wheel.

Winching can be a simple quick and easy way out of trouble if it is a forward straight line pull and you have just lost traction but when buried to the floor pan in sand or mud the extraction loads are huge and will stress your recovery gear to failure. Likewise if you are trying to winch over a rock ledge. Always try and make it easier on your winch and sometimes digging is your worse enemy, road building and jacking up individual wheels then back filling or placement of recovery tracks under the wheels is often a better option.

I have done most of my remote off road traveling as a solo vehicle and always had a power winch and on the few occasions I needed it I had to combine other techniques to assist the winch. Now days I just carry a long handle shovel, 2 sets of Maxtraxs, a mechanical screw jack, a scissor jack and long base boards, with these and a bit of time and common sense I can get myself out every situation that I have so far got myself into. However if the High Country or anywhere on the Great Dividing Range was my backyard then I would have a power winch.

OJ.

Thanks OJ. I did consider the spare but given my travelling companions I think the spare solution is quite a time costly one and will wear thin very quickly with the missus if it needs to be employed probably anything more than once or if the technique fails on the first go. I am trying to instil a greater sense of adventure but 2 kids in the last few years has shaved a significant amount of patience away from both of us. That's the perceived risk anyway so although I understand there are no guarantees I'm looking for a best solution focusing on ability/range of use, time and weight. Cost is a small consideration.

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
              Do a search for Lan-cor on the forum. WA guys did some testing a while ago and were very impressed.
              I'll go looking.

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              So I made some enquiries today. I can get something similar manufactured for about $200. So not a great saving to be had, but $100 is $100 bucks.

And I've since learned Ronnie did test the deadman in feb this year. google ronnie dahl deadman and you'll find it. It worked pretty well in (wet) beach sand.

Also, A mate informs me drifta sell them too, so freight from the states isn't an issue now.
              I started thinking the same. I reckon that price could be sharpened for multiple units. Just checked Drifta's website and they're there, so good news.
              NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• sharkcaver
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                I started thinking the same. I reckon that price could be sharpened for multiple units. Just checked Drifta's website and they're there, so good news.

I'm thinking....one overtime shift and I'll make my first drifta purchase.

My Journeys

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Thanks OJ. I did consider the spare but given my travelling companions I think the spare solution is quite a time costly one and will wear thin very quickly with the missus if it needs to be employed probably anything more than once or if the technique fails on the first go. I am trying to instil a greater sense of adventure but 2 kids in the last few years has shaved a significant amount of patience away from both of us. That's the perceived risk anyway so although I understand there are no guarantees I'm looking for a best solution focusing on ability/range of use, time and weight. Cost is a small consideration.

Any ground anchor requires digging to remove it after you have finished your recovery, self setting plough type anchors do not require digging in so this saves time and effort.

Getting stuck is part of the adventure when traveling off road except when the weather is bad or you are faced with a race against time with an incoming tide. I do a lot of very soft sand driving and without doubt the quickest and safest recovery method if you are not buried to the floor pan is a pair of Maxtrax using the direction of travel ramp up and out method. If you are buried to the floor pan then digging is a waste of time and effort as you need to remove a lot of sand. Quickest and easiest way is to jack each wheel up individually by the suspension and insert a recovery track under each wheel then drive off in low range with very low tyre pressures 8-10psi until you are clear of the very soft sand.

Much quicker and safer than a winch recovery to a ground anchor and you can go backwards!

Best recovery tracks are either Maxtrax or Tred Pro, at around $275 a pair, 2 sets costs less than your insurance excess (that is if you are even covered where you are stuck).

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    Any ground anchor requires digging to remove it after you have finished your recovery, self setting plough type anchors do not require digging in so this saves time and effort.

Getting stuck is part of the adventure when traveling off road except when the weather is bad or you are faced with a race against time with an incoming tide. I do a lot of very soft sand driving and without doubt the quickest and safest recovery method if you are not buried to the floor pan is a pair of Maxtrax using the direction of travel ramp up and out method. If you are buried to the floor pan then digging is a waste of time and effort as you need to remove a lot of sand. Quickest and easiest way is to jack each wheel up individually by the suspension and insert a recovery track under each wheel then drive off in low range with very low tyre pressures 8-10psi until you are clear of the very soft sand.

Much quicker and safer than a winch recovery to a ground anchor and you can go backwards!

Best recovery tracks are either Maxtrax or Tred Pro, at around $275 a pair, 2 sets costs less than your insurance excess (that is if you are even covered where you are stuck).

OJ.

As soon as the car is going down quicker than going forward I've released the pedal. Like you've mentioned it is undesirable to be down to the pan and you've lost a couple of options.

I've got the Treds. I've used them once on the old NJ. I also have a pair of ALDI tracks. Never put to the test but I reckon may be a less than sterling performance but you never know. I've just tried to spread my recovery options and without a suitable anchor the winch is deadweight.

Any ground anchor requires digging to remove it after you have finished your recovery
                    Without the intention of sounding argumentative this is one of the pros toward the Deadman. Drive past, hook a corner and drive. She comes out. They show it in the vid.

I don't think it is a realistic proposition to carry every bit of gear to cover off on every conceivable risk, just too heavy and/or bulk. The Deadman piqued my interest given its light weight and low encumbrance. It isn't lost on me either that carrying the weight of recovery options adds to the likelihood of getting stuck in the first place. Just need to find that balance.

Build Thread

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

I don't think it is a realistic proposition to carry every bit of gear to cover off on every conceivable risk, just too heavy and/or bulk. The Deadman piqued my interest given its light weight and low encumbrance. It isn't lost on me either that carrying the weight of recovery options adds to the likelihood of getting stuck in the first place. Just need to find that balance.

Agree 100%, I to look at the weight and size of everything I carry and what it can be used for. Ideally everything should have at least 2 or 3 uses otherwise I question if I really need to carry it at all. I also look at how often in the past I have needed to actually use the items and was there an alternative bit of gear I could have used.

An example is, I stopped carrying a second full spare wheel and tyre assemble about 20 years ago as I had no tyre problems for over 7 years since running LT 10 ply tyres and low tyre pressures. I now carry a spare tyre carcass, tube and plug repair kit, saving the weigh of a wheel rim.

Some of the vehicles I have seen struggling to get themselves out of trouble have looked like they are straight out of the ARB or TJM catalogue!
                      Better to have the gear that is multi use and knowledge to adapt and use it than all the flash "correct" gear and no idea on how to use it.

OJ.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by DAUMULLER
                        A Star picket is cheap and cheerful. You may have to leave it behind once recovered if unable to remove from ground.
                        And heavy. I'd have to leave some alcohol at home.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• wazza5
                          • Jan 2015
                          • WA

Quote from OJ

An example is, I stopped carrying a second full spare wheel and tyre assemble about 20 years ago as I had no tyre problems for over 7 years since running LT 10 ply tyres and low tyre pressures. I now carry a spare tyre carcass, tube and plug repair kit, saving the weigh of a wheel rim.
                          I am interest if the weight and space required of transporting the tools needed (bead breaker, 2/3 tyre levers, rubber mallet, etc) to change remove/replace a tyre and tube to off-set the weight of carrying a full second spare. If you have not needed to use a second spare over the years you have been carrying around the tools needed to fit the tube and tyre. The tools may have taken up more room/weight than just carry a full second spare.

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
                            I am interest if the weight and space required of transporting the tools needed (bead breaker, 2/3 tyre levers, rubber mallet, etc) to change remove/replace a tyre and tube to off-set the weight of carrying a full second spare. If you have not needed to use a second spare over the years you have been carrying around the tools needed to fit the tube and tyre. The tools may have taken up more room/weight than just carry a full second spare.
                            No. You should have those tools to repair a tyre before you carry a second spare. A second spare is only required if you damage a tyre beyond repair, and effectively end up without a spare.

Carrying a second spare is no substitute for being able to repair a puncture.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

And I always hear this rubbish about if it doesn't have 2 or more uses it isn't needed. Well I need to inform you, if you need it, then you need it, no matter how many uses it may have. Much like having a second spare.....its all relative. Risk verses consequence.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X