Below Nav Bar

Collapse

How effective is the Rear LSD when offroad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outback_aussie
    • Nov 2010
    • Sunshine Coast, QLD

How effective is the Rear LSD when offroad?

G'Day all,

Just wondering from all you off road 'nuts', how effective is the standard Pajero NM Rear LSD when in off road situations, and hill climbs etc...

I'll be doing a bit of 4x4ing soon, just wondering how good the LSD is so I know whether I'll need a locker or not.

Cheers
    2002 Pajero NM GLX 3.5L Manual

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Mitsubishi LSDs are pretty good. The NM has a Torsen style, so no clutch packs to wear out. However, it can become a "free spinner" if one wheel is off the ground, which is when a few clicks on the handbrake can load up the spinning wheel and allow the Torsen to transfer more torque to the grounded wheel.

If you're going to buy a locker, and don't have traction control, put a locker in the front first.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• steveandviv
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Broome

I'm with NJ SWB. We have the locker up front and it's magic..

That reminds me, better change the RHF CV - click - click - click
      2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• peter92
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • maryborough queensland

lsd,s are good, but wish i had a front locker
        depends on where you go as to how much money you want to spend. ive always got away with out needing one. i know where i can go and where i cant
        if you have the money i would get one
        regards peter
        used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
        now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
        bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
        SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Agree the rear LSD is a beauty with the ARB air locker up front it will just about go anywhere..

Gus.
          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• psproule
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Googong, NSW

The other neat thing with the Torsen LSD is they have no friction plates or cones to wear out like the Toyotas are quite prone to.
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• rotare
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2007

Now this thread has got me thinking...... wouldn't it be a good thing to put the rear torsen diff out of a NM, into my NP with traction control? I'm thinking that the NP wouldn't have the torsen because it has traction control. Surely the combination of torsen & TC would be better than TC alone?

Thoughts?
              2013 NW VRX

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                Now this thread has got me thinking...... wouldn't it be a good thing to put the rear torsen diff out of a NM, into my NP with traction control? I'm thinking that the NP wouldn't have the torsen because it has traction control. Surely the combination of torsen & TC would be better than TC alone?

Thoughts?
                Yeah, but if you were going to go to that much trouble (as in dismantle it) you may as well put a factory locker in out of an NS or NT wreck.

Comment

• rotare
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2007

Yeah, but if you were going to go to that much trouble (as in dismantle it) you may as well put a factory locker in out of an NS or NT wreck.
                  I guess it would all come down to how much it would cost to source a torsen diff versus a locker. The disassembly / assembly part of it is not an issue for me.
                  2013 NW VRX

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                    I guess it would all come down to how much it would cost to source a torsen diff versus a locker. The disassembly / assembly part of it is not an issue for me.
                    Personally, I'd still lean towards the LSD - unless the factory locker is a hybrid? I like that my LSD is "always on", so I don't need to worry about "should I have it on or off?" as I'm driving tracks. I remember following another shorty with bigger & better tyres (33" BFG Muds vs 31" S/Ts) and a rear diff lock. A few places he was stopped and had to hit the diff-lock, where my LSD just pushed me through.

Now, I generally try it first, and hit the front diff-lock if I don't make it. I rarely use it, but I'm very happy that I have it.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• rotare
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2007

Anyone know what the wreckers want for a NM Torsen diff centre? No doubt there would be plenty available, but anything "4wd" from a wreckers normally cost you a kidney.
                      2013 NW VRX

Comment

• reciprovac
                        • Jan 2011
                        • broadford Victoria, Australia

Great conversation going here,I still cannot determine if my 2006 VRX has a LSD or not,even the dealers do not seem to know.
                        What I do know is that the traction control gives up the ghost too soon,usually half way up a steep hill at the critical time you need it.
                        I am now looking at front lockers (Chinese ones now available for $400 US but of course ARB say inferior, see Utube tests) .Have considered the Auto lockers but unfortunately you loose the use of high 4wdrive on the highway,always a compromise.
                        Does any one know if the NM torsens do fit the 33 spline NP models for sure ?
                        Regards
                        2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                        Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• psproule
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by reciprovac View Post
                          Great conversation going here,I still cannot determine if my 2006 VRX has a LSD or not,even the dealers do not seem to know.
                          What I do know is that the traction control gives up the ghost too soon,usually half way up a steep hill at the critical time you need it.
                          I am now looking at front lockers (Chinese ones now available for $400 US but of course ARB say inferior, see Utube tests) .Have considered the Auto lockers but unfortunately you loose the use of high 4wdrive on the highway,always a compromise.
                          Does any one know if the NM torsens do fit the 33 spline NP models for sure ?
                          Regards
                          No LSD in your 2006 VRX.

We give our NP a fair caning off-road and have not once overheated the traction control.

Comment

• reciprovac
                            • Jan 2011
                            • broadford Victoria, Australia

Traction control

Interesting you have said no problems with traction control overheating.
                            I suspect there is a major difference between our vehicles,I run A/T tyres what type does your vehicle use?
                            From your advice it seems a LSD from a wreck may help my problem,but what models would fit the 33 spline on my vehicle?
                            Any advice appreciated .
                            2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                            Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• psproule
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by reciprovac View Post
                              Interesting you have said no problems with traction control overheating.
                              I suspect there is a major difference between our vehicles,I run A/T tyres what type does your vehicle use?
                              From your advice it seems a LSD from a wreck may help my problem,but what models would fit the 33 spline on my vehicle?
                              Any advice appreciated .
                              Just BFG AT's all round aired down according to conditions and a 2" lift. We have climbed many a steep mountain goat track and have lots of sand work under it's belt as well and as I say nary a problem. We tend to take things slow and steady though, which is kind of the opposite of how you had to attack things in our pre Traction Control NM.

Pat

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X