Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Torque Convertor Lockup kits, Good or Bad technical discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    I am struggling to see how a slipping mechanical friction clutch can multiply torque output to the gear box.
    .......OJ.
    OJ, surely this was sarcasm, was it not NJ?

M

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post

M
      No sarcasm from me.
      A mechanical friction clutch is designed to transmit up to 100% of the engine power and torque from the engine crankshaft to the gearbox input shaft. The amount of energy transfer is limited by the clamping force of the pressure plate and the coefficient of friction of the clutch plate friction material. The clutch is used to disengage the engine from the gearbox to enable smooth gear changes. All a slipping clutch can do is to reduce the load off the engine so it does not stall when the external forces of moving the vehicle are greater than the engine torque.

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 25-03-20, 09:51 AM.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

M
        Sarcasm? Me?

Never!
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

No sarcasm from me.
          A mechanical friction clutch is designed to transmit up to 100% of the engine power and torque from the engine crankshaft to the gearbox input shaft. The amount of energy transfer is limited by the clamping force of the pressure plate and the coefficient of friction of the clutch plate friction material. The clutch is used to disengage the engine from the gearbox to enable smooth gear changes. All a slipping clutch can do is to reduce the load off the engine so it does not stall when the external forces of moving the vehicle are greater than the engine torque.

OJ.
          Not from you, OJ, from NJ! Sorry if I offended you. Obviously more care needed in written word when you can't hear my intonation or see my smile.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Not from you, OJ, from NJ! Sorry if I offended you. Obviously more care needed in written word when you can't hear my intonation or see my smile.
            No offence taken Mundy. Obviously my sarcasm radar is not finely tuned or was not on at the time, as I did not interrupt NJswb's post as sarcastic, I interrupted it as incorrect information and responded to correct the information on the thread.

We all make mistakes or even have the incorrect understanding of things we think we know only later to discover we were wrong.
            There is no shame in being wrong if you admit it and not hide it.
            We all continue learn if we have an open mind and question what we think, are told or read.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Mundy55
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Gold Coast

Well, after 5 months or so, with the weather now cooling, having plenty of time on my hands and having finally got up the courage I have just installed the auto-mate. Thanks to Denmonkey for his install video which is very helpful. I got the same test readouts as he did, so looks like its all ok. Test run tomorrow.

The instructions say 2 hours to install. Well, I didn't quite believe that but was surprised it took me 6! I don't quite have the flexibility as I did 30 years ago. Longest step was trying to drill and then screw the resister to the sidewall. This thread, as much as anything else, encouraged me to get my act together.

Now I have an excuse to go for a drive tomorrow.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Hi Mundy,

You will find it takes a little while for the INVECS II Adaptive Learning function of the AT ECU to adjust to Auto Mate fully, it is a few hundred gear changes. Same happens if you chose to adjust the offset levels, best to drive around for a week with each change to get the real feel of what is happening.

OJ.

Comment

• Mundy55
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Gold Coast

Thanks, OJ.

Comment

• m_and_m
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

The instructions say 2 hours to install. Well, I didn't quite believe that but was surprised it took me 6! I don't quite have the flexibility as I did 30 years ago. Longest step was trying to drill and then screw the resister to the sidewall.
                    I say to allow 2-3 hours, so you don’t rush it.
                    Best I’ve heard is 45 minutes
                    All depends on how familiar you are with the whole process and how many times you triple check.
                    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                      How many times you triple check.
                      Normally it is 3x if I triple check anything!

OJ.

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Normally it is 3x if I triple check anything!

OJ.
                        Haha. I mean how many steps you decide to triple check.
                        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Ian H
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2015
                          • Melbourne

I took an hour just to make sure I was about to cut the right wires !!!

After that I got a second opinion and then thought about it for a while.
                          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Mundy55
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • Gold Coast

I was certainly being very careful and checked at least 3 times, if not more. I was very nervous about cutting the ECU wires and practised the soldering technique a few times before starting (great tip by the way). When I said I didn't believe 2 hours, I meant I didn't believe I could do it in that time. I agree that, if you know what you are doing and have confidence to do every thing first time, 2 hours should be ok.

On a different but related matter, what do those of you with Automates do when you take your vehicles in for service at a dealer or mechanic? Do you unplug the controller or just tell them about the lockup kit and to work around it? My car is out of warranty so I won't have any warranty arguments if something were to occur but don't particularly want to have to unplug the system when I get it serviced.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

My Challenger is still under the 10 year/160,000km warranty and has had 3 services with either Lockup or Auto Mate fitted, all I do is turn off the switch on the A pillar.
                              Not once have I been asked about it.

They unplug the Y splitter plug from the OBD2 port connect their MUT III do what they need to do and replug the splitter cable back.

OJ.

Comment

• MM4X4
                                • Nov 2017

On a different but related matter, what do those of you with Automates do when you take your vehicles in for service at a dealer or mechanic? Do you unplug the controller or just tell them about the lockup kit and to work around it? My car is out of warranty so I won't have any warranty arguments if something were to occur but don't particularly want to have to unplug the system when I get it serviced.
                                No need tell them anything. Just unplug the OBD2 cable which removes power from the auto-mate control unit. Internally, the relays revert to factory wiring. The car will be back to normal, and act like auto-mate isn't there.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X