• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam.cath
    • Dec 2014
    • Sunshine Coast

Any suggestions please??

Hi,
    Our close friends in NZ have found this 2008 Paj, 3.0L Petrol that looks very tidy & is a reasonable price.
    It's a Japanese import as so many are in NZ & as such are cheaper.

I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to thing to check other than the rust on top of the doors (as with all NS & Nt's) with this model?
    Also, does anyone know anything about the 3.0L petrol motor & gearbox please??

Would really appreciate any recommendation for them.

Here's the link:

Cheers,
    Sam
    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
    Hi,
    Our close friends in NZ have found this 2008 Paj, 3.0L Petrol that looks very tidy & is a reasonable price.
    It's a Japanese import as so many are in NZ & as such are cheaper.

I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to thing to check other than the rust on top of the doors (as with all NS & Nt's) with this model?
    Also, does anyone know anything about the 3.0L petrol motor & gearbox please??

Would really appreciate any recommendation for them.

Here's the link:

Cheers,
    Sam
    Looks nice in the photos - I like the Jap market curtain on the rear door window!

Unsure if same motor, but the 3.0 Magna had 3 spark plugs that are hidden under the inlet manifold, which had to be removed to change the plugs - they used expensive platinum plugs so it didn't have to be done as often.
    Check everything works properly, eg, electrics, super select 4WD (try all 4 settings & drive in each), auto fluid condition (all Mitsi autos are very particular about their fluid).
    Check engine oil condition (including looking inside the filler at the valve gear with a good torch - it should look clean in there), as Jap cars tended to do many short runs & owners sometimes don't do proper servicing as they know they won't keep the car long due to the very high taxes on cars over a few years old (hence why they are then exported to NZ, etc. with low kms but sometimes poorly maintained).
    Check the wheels & tyres will pass the WOF.

I wonder how well the 3.0 can move a heavy car like the Paj? My 3.0 Magna was OK (but half a tonne lighter), but the 3.5 Verada & the 3.8 380 were much faster. Quite likely it will have to be pushed quite hard, particularly in the hilly parts of NZ, so it will use a lot of petrol. With Kiwi petrol so expensive (about $2.20 I think?), they should make sure they are happy with the fuel cost. I suspect it would struggle if towing or heavily loaded.
    How does the car price compare with similar age diesels in NZ? (but beware the DPF on NS autos)
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• benckj
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2017
      • Alexandra , New Zealand

The 3l model is the lower spec petrol version so won't have nice things like leather electric & heated seats, Fosgate stereo, etc. It is also much lower power than the 3.8 MTEC engine which I think would be a struggle for this heavy vehicle. This is especially true as the tyres & suspension have been upgraded. Might be exactly what the person looking for although if he is running around the city streets it would be a pain.

As I've bought several Jap imports at auction myself I'd be concerned on the underside of truck. Vehicles like this are generally used in the Northern mountain region and as such encounter snow & salt on the roads. Rust can be a problem if not properly treated.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

From my experiences with a 3.0L NJ power is wanting after 2nd gear. The 3.5 or better yet the 3.8 would be a much more enjoyable drive especially if someone will go through the effort of importing one and as mentioned the trim spec improves with the larger donk.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• sam.cath
          • Dec 2014
          • Sunshine Coast

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
          My mate is very grateful & has decided to not go ahead with this car.

Cheers,
          Sam
          2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

• pronvit
            • Mar 2019
            • New Zealand

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
            Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
            My mate is very grateful & has decided to not go ahead with this car.

Cheers,
            Sam
            What about this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2388892531
            2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by pronvit View Post
              Did the NS DID auto in NZ have a DPF like those in Oz? If so, I'd be wary.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X