• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Nab View Post
    Cheer OJ, that is great info! I run the AT2 on my Ranger, according to that table I should be at 45-50psi in the rear, I have been running 48psi as it "feels" right, either a fluke or I have a 6th sense hahaha!!!
    Hi Nab,
    50psi sounds too high to me!
    When using the load tables you need to ensure you use the correct table for the particular tyre. You can have the same size tyre but need to use a different section of the load tables, ie; P265/65R-17 Load Index 110 compared to LT265/65R-17 Load Index 119E these are 2 completely different tyre's.
    1. The correct construction of the tyre, Passenger or Light Truck.
    2. The correct size of the tyre, 265/65R17.
    3. Correct Load Index.
    4. Use the single tyre listing.
    5. Divide the lbs number in the table by 2.2 and then multiple it by 2 to give the axles load in kgs at the prescribed pressure in the table. Or a shortcut calculation is just use the single tyre load in lbs and multiple it by 0.909 to achieve the total axle load in kgs.

So a Gen 4 Pajero has a rear axle load limit of 1800kg and is running LT265/65R17 119E tyre's the minimum cold inflation pressure would be about 42psi. Given that most people do not operate at their full rear axle weight then the pressures would be lower than 40psi. Front axle load limit is 1320kg so that is less than 35psi.

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 02-05-19, 10:14 PM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

It’s for my Ford Ranger, weighs 3180kg everyday, most of it at the rear. Roughly worked out 1800-1900kg at the rear so approx 2050lb per tyre, LT 265/65/17 AT2.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

OJ

Thanks for posting above info re tyre pressures.

I run Cooper 265 65 17 AT3LT and run 45psi rear tyre pressure including van and 32psi front when towing our Quantum on road. Off road pressures when towing depends on conditions including road surface but 24-30 psi is typical on dirt.

Ball weight is around 220kg and rear axle load will be close to 1800kg.

Both van and car are very stable and above info confirms what we have discovered over 35k of towing.

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Nab View Post
          It’s for my Ford Ranger, weighs 3180kg everyday, most of it at the rear. Roughly worked out 1800-1900kg at the rear so approx 2050lb per tyre, LT 265/65/17 AT2.
          Hi Nab,

I think you used the dual tyre figures in your calculations. Single tyre figures convert to;
          40 psi is 1759kg axle load.
          45 psi is 1913kg axle load.
          50 psi is 2063kg axle load.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Scooby
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Ipswich, Qld.

Hi Guys,
            Did you get to a fix for this issue?
            The reason I ask is I have the same issue with a NW (VRX) and horse float.
            We have been towing this float with a basically stock NM (GLS) 350000kms, original springs but with Repco Heavy duty shocks for the last 3 years without this issue. It does hang a bit at the back but not dragging its bum. Float is up to 3000kg depending on horses.
            We have just got the NW which is stock with 170000kms on it. With the float on, same loads as the NM it is a very nervous vehicle as in it feels like it has trailer sway but it doesn’t. The vehicle holds the road but is swaying slightly.
            The better the road the less evident it is.
            Have changed the tow bar tongue so that the ball is in same spot as the NM.
            Both vehicles have the same suspension sag measurements when loaded or unloaded.
            Could the shocks be that much difference or has there been changes with the suspension between the models.
            As usual funds are low, kids and horses see to that. Could I swap parts between the 2 or not. Repco told me they were different. Will be selling the NM once this issue is fixed. Do I just upgrade the shocks straight up as the stock ones are too soft and are probably buggered at 170k. Don’t need any extra height just mums taxi and tow mule, hardly leaves the black top.
            Thanks in advance.
            Scott.
            Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
              Hi Guys,
              Did you get to a fix for this issue?
              The reason I ask is I have the same issue with a NW (VRX) and horse float.
              We have been towing this float with a basically stock NM (GLS) 350000kms, original springs but with Repco Heavy duty shocks for the last 3 years without this issue. It does hang a bit at the back but not dragging its bum. Float is up to 3000kg depending on horses.
              We have just got the NW which is stock with 170000kms on it. With the float on, same loads as the NM it is a very nervous vehicle as in it feels like it has trailer sway but it doesn’t. The vehicle holds the road but is swaying slightly.
              The better the road the less evident it is.
              Have changed the tow bar tongue so that the ball is in same spot as the NM.
              Both vehicles have the same suspension sag measurements when loaded or unloaded.
              Could the shocks be that much difference or has there been changes with the suspension between the models.
              As usual funds are low, kids and horses see to that. Could I swap parts between the 2 or not. Repco told me they were different. Will be selling the NM once this issue is fixed. Do I just upgrade the shocks straight up as the stock ones are too soft and are probably buggered at 170k. Don’t need any extra height just mums taxi and tow mule, hardly leaves the black top.
              Thanks in advance.
              Scott.

Definitely upgrade the shocks and coils. Towing 3 tonne is at the very limit of the NW,s pulling power. I,d never do it. 170,000klms is a lot of klms. Suspension will definitely be near end of life.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                Definitely upgrade the shocks and coils. Towing 3 tonne is at the very limit of the NW,s pulling power. I,d never do it. 170,000klms is a lot of klms. Suspension will definitely be near end of life.

Correct, coils carry the weight and manage the load changes based on spring rates, shockers dampen the coil movement. If your coil spring rate is too low then even heavy duty shockers will struggle to control the suspension.

King Springs do a standard height coil that has a slightly increased spring rate when it is lightly loaded and a significantly higher spring rate when loaded. Coil cost about $200 a pair.

The Gen 4 Pajero has a unladen factory ride height of 533mm, measured from the centre of the wheel hub to under the wheel arch in a vertical line and a minimum legal ride height of 488mm when fully loaded including when a trailer is attached.

OJ.

Comment

• Scooby
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Ipswich, Qld.

Thanks for the info. Loaded it is running in the 480mm area so shocks and springs are required. Do I need to change the front springs also or could this wait until I can afford a bullbar. I know that I will need to remove the struts to change the springs again.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                    Thanks for the info. Loaded it is running in the 480mm area so shocks and springs are required. Do I need to change the front springs also or could this wait until I can afford a bullbar. I know that I will need to remove the struts to change the springs again.

Hi Scott,

What is your current front ride height? 503mm is factory unladen spec,from my experience I have found more Pajero's with sagged rears than sagged fronts unless they are fitted with a bullbar and winch. If your front ride height is around the 500mm mark then I would not change anything at the moment.

Spend the cash on the rear suspension, new coils will correct the ride height and new shockers will control the coils better.

Does your horse float have load sharing rocker leaf suspension or fixed leaf suspension?

Do you ensure the towbar is level when ithe float is fully loaded and attached to the Pajero by using a height adjustable hitch or do you just connect it up and not worry?

OJ.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • South Africa, East London

Increase ball weight to about 180kg

Make sure there is almost nothing packed behind the axle of the trailer.

Even two jerrycans full of fluid on the back can cause great movement due to the long lever.

Pack heavy stuff on the trailer axle or in the boot of the car. As little as possible behind the rear axle of the trailer.
                      1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                      2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                      2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                      2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

The shocks should be interchangeable with the NM ones. Pretty straightforward to swap over in the shed yourself just to test it out.
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Scooby
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • Ipswich, Qld.

Hi OJ,
                          From memory the NW is around the 500mm mark at the front. Will be looking for a bullbar one day so will probably worry about doing something with the front then if I can get away with it.
                          The float has load sharing suspension and would sit fairly level on the NM, but with the NW original long low tongue it was lower, that is why I changed the tongue (Navara D22). Ball is about 25mm higher and almost 100mm forward now. It is a 3 horse angle load float which is about 6 meters long. Never had to worry about an adjustable hitch as it just seamed to be level. Have also worked out horse placement in float to keep it level. Level has only been done by eyeballing though.

Scott.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Hi Scott,

I would recommend fitting King coils KCRS-35 and Oztec shockers 60831, these are available from GSA Suspension Wholesalers. Tell them you have had GSA recommended by the Pajero Fourm and they should give you a better price.
                            Contact Steve Sheppard.
                            GSA Wholesale Suspension is Australia's largest wholesaler of Car Suspension situated in slacks creek that sells suspension to the trade and retail market. For all your suspension lift kits, 4x4 suspension, off road suspension, 4wd suspension, brands

OJ.

Comment

• denmonkey
                              • Oct 2017
                              • Newcastle NSW

Just to add a spanner to the works, as I;m not sure if it has been mentioned if the van only does this under breaking or under normal travelling.

either way, someone might find this useful, but my van would pull to one side under breaking.
                              turns out when the new brakes were put in, they hadn't adjusted them evenly.
                              thus one side would work over time and the other wasn't.
                              thus it would pull the van to one side and the front of the vehicle to the other anytime the brakes were applied.

just chucking it out there

Comment

• Scooby
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2011
                                • Ipswich, Qld.

Hi guys, just an update. Fitted the Kings springs to the rear, left the originals in the front, but went with Ultima shocks, heavy duty rear and standard front. Heights before front Lh 495mm Rh 490mm, rear Lh 510mm Rh 500mm. After front Lh 495mm Rh 500mm, rear Lh 535mm Rh 535mm. Yes it now sits level! It drives well, a little bit stiffer but not floating like it was, but most importantly tows the float well. Now feels connected with the road. Had to put the MM tongue back in to level the float. Thanks for the advise O.J. And others. One more question how long would you leave the springs settle before getting a wheel alignment done? Majority of country road driving so suspension is working.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X