• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bladerunner99
    • Apr 2019
    • Sydney

Pajero Sport Catch Can Quandary

I have owned my PS for 12 months now (from new). Yesterday I had peek at the vent hose from the cam cover to turbo and was amazed at the amount of oil residue coating the inside of the tube.

Having researched as much as possible and read countless reviews (mostly from people who sell them) etc, I am contemplating the fitment of a catch can but would like to reach out to forum members with technical knowledge in this area , with a few questions.

1) Does the turbo rely on the oil residue from the breather to form any additional lubrication function at all.
    2) What is the difference between a catch can and an oil separater.

3) Does anyone know what Mitsubishi's take is on the fitment of a catch can.
    4) If a catch can prevents major carbon build up by removing oil residue that is otherwise mixed with the EGR, then why does the manufacturer not install the device.

It is my intention to keep this vehicle for some considerable time and I want to make sure it is well maintained and serves me well.

Any advice is appreciated.
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

1/ no. A dedicated oil line supplies the journal bearings etc.
    2/I assume you mean air-oil separator. No diffrence
    3/i dont know the official posistion. But no dealership has never questioned mine.
    4/Cost. Both in terms of manufacturing and maintenance. Some models for some manufactures do have catch cans this true for both cars and trucks. Some higher spec audi's do have them in europe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Bladerunner99
      • Apr 2019
      • Sydney

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
      1/ no. A dedicated oil line supplies the journal bearings etc.
      2/I assume you mean air-oil separator. No diffrence
      3/i dont know the official posistion. But no dealership has ever questioned mine.
      4/Cost. Both in terms of manufacturing and maintenance. Some models for some manufactures do have catch cans this true for both cars and trucks. Some higher spec audi's do have them in europe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

A catch can will not remove all oil from the crankcase air, it is dependent on the efficiency of the filter separator and how well it is maintained. If you fit a catch can ensure it has a pressure relief valve built in so if the filter becomes blocked then the crankcase pressure can not build up.
        Inlet manifolds will still get a soot/carbon buildup even with a catch can installed but it will take much longer.
        Only way to eliminate this is to stop the EGR system from operating and this is illegal in Australia.
        My view is EGR as a pollution control only works when everything is clean, and as the deposits in the manifold build up the emissions from the engine increase. At some point there will be a cross over where the engine is emitting more pollution because it is using more fuel.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 19-01-20, 12:45 PM.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• orthodoxs
          • Mar 2018
          • Darwin

Originally posted by Bladerunner99 View Post
          I have owned my PS for 12 months now (from new). Yesterday I had peek at the vent hose from the cam cover to turbo and was amazed at the amount of oil residue coating the inside of the tube.

Having researched as much as possible and read countless reviews (mostly from people who sell them) etc, I am contemplating the fitment of a catch can but would like to reach out to forum members with technical knowledge in this area , with a few questions.

1) Does the turbo rely on the oil residue from the breather to form any additional lubrication function at all.
          2) What is the difference between a catch can and an oil separater.

3) Does anyone know what Mitsubishi's take is on the fitment of a catch can.
          4) If a catch can prevents major carbon build up by removing oil residue that is otherwise mixed with the EGR, then why does the manufacturer not install the device.

It is my intention to keep this vehicle for some considerable time and I want to make sure it is well maintained and serves me well.

Any advice is appreciated.
          The turbo apparently has a separate oil lubricating system to its bearings and does not rely on the oil found in the blow back fumes. Due to the newer standards in pollution prevention the crank case vent, which was previously vented out to the open air is now routed back so that the blow by gases are burnt in the cylinder, unfortunately en-route it meets coats the manifold where the hot EGR gases chars and carbonizes the film of oil and I suspect the burnt residue from the cylinder would also muddy the DPF.
          The classic Catch can available cheap on eBay is just an empty can or filled with steel wool which traps and precipitates the oil in the gases, very inefficient, the oil separator does the same with filter paper and is very very efficient. Any block in the catch can circuit, will increase pressures in the crank case and possibly lead to blown gaskets/seals so a pressure relieving safety valve is essential.
          I have installed the provent kit from western filters, which includes dedicated hoses and a bracket mount specific for the PS. The only skill required is to tighten a few nuts. It also has a back pressure safety valve. Some manufacturers have a OEM system which reroutes the oil catch back into the crank case, the residue is a black tarry thick fluid which I would definitely not empty back into the crank case. Of course you are expected to dispose the residue in a environmentally friendly manner and not tip it into a drain. I can confirm that it does catch a lot of dirty oil, can't say if it has a long term benefit, I am convinced it does no harm.
          The MM service in charge appreciated the provent system verbally, I didn't ask for an official approval, as I didn't want them to come up with a disclaimer and denial. I have included a pic of the installation.
          Hope this helps.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by orthodoxs; 17-01-20, 01:12 AM. Reason: Grammer correction

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
            • Mar 2018
            • Western Australia

Have a look at Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBAqxSXFyb4&t=4s.

John's style may not appeal to all but he has some interesting things to say about catch cans.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
              Have a look at Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBAqxSXFyb4&t=4s.

John's style may not appeal to all but he has some interesting things to say about catch cans.
              My personal take on things

He has a point as many have pointed out, fit a useful one if you so wish.

Ag machinery which I sell, many are Diesel & many Tier II emissions which in lamens terms means PCV is non existent & crankcase still as all use to vents out on the ground.

No emission controls on Ag equipment required although many sold here built for other markets do have emissions.

A new engine can breath heavy & visually a fair bit of oil in the scheme of things, stick you finger up the pipe & see what you find & becomes less, cleans up fair bit when engine "runs in", but it is still present.
              General advice is run engine in at 80% load where possible, bed rings in as per manufacturers info. Putter around no loads you do run the real risk of increased blow by for the life of the engine.
              I can recall having newish machines back plenty of oil burn for a new engine, treatment, dyno under load for extended period of time

As the engine ages, they create more blowby & can run like that for in a vehicles instance 10,000's to 100,000's k's no troubles at all & can drop the odd drop of oil out the crank case breather onto your lovely clean concrete actually, not just vapours.

My point being the contents of the crank case vented gases does have oil present, some engines & some brands will be worse than others for a whole lot of reasons as some will have more exhaust EGR carbon than others.

That oil vapor will not cause catastrophic engine failure mixing with EGR carbon & gunking up the air intake, making some engines belch black smoke/ unburnt fuel under loads, lack torque & power etc as they age.

My personal view, for engine health I would much prefer crank case vapor/ blow by to be as clean as it can be going back into the engine intake.
              Or vented onto the ground as they always originally were & still are without emission controls.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                • Aug 2012
                • Brisbane, Southside

I’ve just ordered the Provent kit for the PS, seems like a neat kit with brackets, a pressure relief valve and nicely tailored hoses.

I haven’t been particularly concerned by crankcase oil mist to date as I have an EGR delete, but coating and oil collection in the intercooler would IMO have some negative effect on efficiency. With another lap around coming up shortly, probably worth the effort.

Greg
                Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Brisbane, Southside

Following up on the above, I received and fitted my Provent catch can from Western Filters.

The kit was complete, good quality, and took about an hour to fit. I liked the neat fit of the bracket, but had to trim about 30mm off the cam cover end of the breather hose as it kinked on initial fitment. No noticeable difference in engine response, and didn’t expect any, but overall happy with the fit.
                  Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
                    Following up on the above, I received and fitted my Provent catch can from Western Filters.

The kit was complete, good quality, and took about an hour to fit. I liked the neat fit of the bracket, but had to trim about 30mm off the cam cover end of the breather hose as it kinked on initial fitment. No noticeable difference in engine response, and didn’t expect any, but overall happy with the fit.

Thank you everyone for the great advice/info.

Greg, are the hoses provided with the kit pre-formed to correct bends/shape or do you have to join with 90o elbows, as I have seen on some Provent kits?
                    Cheers

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Brisbane, Southside

Hi BR,

the hoses are preformed in so far as the cam cover breather to catch can is sized to fit the cam cover end and the catch can end, which is larger. But it’s a straight piece of hose that I shortened by 30mm.

The return from the catch can to the inlet system is preformed with a 90 degree bend and fits nicely.

It’s a good kit professionally made, even down to the provision of a bolt and hose clamp for the drain hose that picks up an existing anchor nut on the top of the chassis rail.

Greg
                      Greg Grey Grumbly

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Sydney

Thanks Greg, I am debating between the Provent 200 kit and the Flashlube Pro, does anyone have any experience with the Flashlube kit ?

Comment

• OldEmmGee
                          • Jan 2016
                          • Adelaide

After much deliberation I have decided to go the Provent kit (from APC4WD). I can see why people are tempted by the EGR blocking kit, but I feel honour-bound to maintain the emissions control as far as possible. Have been behind too many smokey diesels to feel comfortable in adding to the problem...
                          2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by OldEmmGee View Post
                            After much deliberation I have decided to go the Provent kit (from APC4WD). I can see why people are tempted by the EGR blocking kit, but I feel honour-bound to maintain the emissions control as far as possible. Have been behind too many smokey diesels to feel comfortable in adding to the problem...
                            I understand your position, and will not attempt to alter your decision.

But for the record, to be the pedant that I am, an EGR block won't make a diesel smokey - the increased NOx emissions are invisible.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• OldEmmGee
                              • Jan 2016
                              • Adelaide

Good point - but NOx is a pollutant (leading to smog) and can also be an irritant.

I like the goal '..leave nothing but your footprints..' approach (to many things) - I feel as if I have been fortunate in experiencing a lot of great things about our planet in my lifetime, but saddened by what I and many others have done to our environment; taking reasonable steps to lessen my impact I reckon this is a good thing....
                              2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X