X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullet4x4
    • Jul 2016
    • toowoomba

Yes you both might be right that is what i was thinking it is definitely related to the lights i was thinking light switch but ill start at the spot lights
    2015 NX 265/65/18 bfg ko2's, TC mod ,radio speed wire mod, redarc BC , ARB CC bullbar ,old school bright as f#*k hellas,GME 4500, 2" king springs/ bilstiens

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      If your bull bar has DRLs it could be an issue with that wiring. M_and_m had a problem with a failed diode in the ARB loom doing strange things (similar to your experience, but a little different).

I guess that is why MMA suggested an auto sparky - they suspect it's an accessory problem, therefore not theirs.
      Here's the thread I posted about it.

yes, similar but different.

My problem was related to the electrics in the ARB Bar causing current feedback (from the lights) to somehow cause power to bypass the ignition switch. I mean, I could take out the key and the car was still running!

What I've since learnt is:

The DRLs have two power inputs - so they are brighter in the daytime and dimmer at night (i.e. headlights on).
      The ARB bar has only one intensity for the DRLs, so these two power inputs are combined via two diodes. The diode clearly failed and fixing this resolved the problem...for a while.
      However what as not resolved is WHY the diode failed in the first place. Back in April in the high country the problem re-appeared after a solid day of wet driving and mud puddles.
      Took it back, and this time they just cut the seconds power wire. My parting remark to them was "ok, so now you've just moved the problem somewhere else! I bet I'll be back."

Problem went away, until July when we had our first descent winter rains.
      I eventually worked out water was the culprit. I disconnected the BBBar wiring harness and all was ok for over a month.
      So, back I went. This time referred an auto elec.

Only last week I had the BBar completely rewired (at ARB expense) with a complete new set of electrics - harnesses, indicator lights etc.
      Auto-electrician also ensured the harness was the correct length, properly covered entirely in heat shrink, and soldered every joint.

With any luck my issues are now solved - time will tell.

My only suggestion for your problem is to start disconnecting things in any way related to the lights. incidentally, I also had some really weird errors occur when the OBD2 ultra-gauge was not plugged back in properly by the dealer during a service. If the CAN bus gets bad data, all hell breaks loose.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• starjunk
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • Sydney

Agree re the dongle thing. I was getting the Canbus timeout code with the $5 cheapie 327dongle. Switched to an $80 LX and no problem since.
        The same cheap dongle also used to bring up the CEL on my Mazda, so I never used it in there.
        It's now in the bin. (The dongle, not the Mazda)
        '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
        '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
        '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
        '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• bullet4x4
          • Jul 2016
          • toowoomba

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
          Here's the thread I posted about it.

yes, similar but different.

My problem was related to the electrics in the ARB Bar causing current feedback (from the lights) to somehow cause power to bypass the ignition switch. I mean, I could take out the key and the car was still running!

What I've since learnt is:

The DRLs have two power inputs - so they are brighter in the daytime and dimmer at night (i.e. headlights on).
          The ARB bar has only one intensity for the DRLs, so these two power inputs are combined via two diodes. The diode clearly failed and fixing this resolved the problem...for a while.
          However what as not resolved is WHY the diode failed in the first place. Back in April in the high country the problem re-appeared after a solid day of wet driving and mud puddles.
          Took it back, and this time they just cut the seconds power wire. My parting remark to them was "ok, so now you've just moved the problem somewhere else! I bet I'll be back."

Problem went away, until July when we had our first descent winter rains.
          I eventually worked out water was the culprit. I disconnected the BBBar wiring harness and all was ok for over a month.
          So, back I went. This time referred an auto elec.

Only last week I had the BBar completely rewired (at ARB expense) with a complete new set of electrics - harnesses, indicator lights etc.
          Auto-electrician also ensured the harness was the correct length, properly covered entirely in heat shrink, and soldered every joint.

With any luck my issues are now solved - time will tell.

My only suggestion for your problem is to start disconnecting things in any way related to the lights. incidentally, I also had some really weird errors occur when the OBD2 ultra-gauge was not plugged back in properly by the dealer during a service. If the CAN bus gets bad data, all hell breaks loose.
          Well that makes perfect sense after going to the beach i got a underbody wash then came home and did it with the hose and then put the sprinkler under it i dont get the car til next weekend so ill check it out then
          2015 NX 265/65/18 bfg ko2's, TC mod ,radio speed wire mod, redarc BC , ARB CC bullbar ,old school bright as f#*k hellas,GME 4500, 2" king springs/ bilstiens

Comment

• bullet4x4
            • Jul 2016
            • toowoomba

ok all sorted it was the ddl wiring it was full of water and has blown 1 or both diodes ARB is replacing the wiring thanks for the help it put me straight onto the problem with out really doing any leg work

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by bullet4x4 View Post
              ok all sorted it was the ddl wiring it was full of water and has blown 1 or both diodes ARB is replacing the wiring thanks for the help it put me straight onto the problem with out really doing any leg work
              Awesome. Took me a year to resolve. These problems are really tricky. Seems like it's a design fault.
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• bullet4x4
                • Jul 2016
                • toowoomba

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                Awesome. Took me a year to resolve. These problems are really tricky. Seems like it's a design fault.
                Awesome is a understatement being a mechanic from many moons ago i realize how hard this problem would have been to diagnose so i really appreciate the help ive received on this forum

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X