• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cool_dube
    • Nov 2019
    • India

Originally posted by Drewan View Post
    Ok the basics made easy 4h isnt 4h as we know it 4H-is more All wheel drive ,and 4H Locked center is 4wheel drive. Thats why most of us tow in 4h on the black top some just leave it in 4H all the time and if you actually notice an increase in fuel use in 4H your cheaper than I am.
    Thanks, Drewan. Of course I know that 4H in the Pajero is actually AWD Let me elaborate on my query - while in 2H, the front drive shaft is disengaged, and therefore, the C/D is not into play at all. Now, when you switch to 4H, the C/D is working round the clock to account for difference in shaft speeds while on turns and curves. So, my query is - is the C/D of the Pajero designed to run round the clock, given that the car has a 2H mode as well?

Sidetracking a little - the Fortuner is a full-time 4WD, which is another way of saying that it does not have the 2H mode (as found in the Pajero) at all. Given this, the C/D of the Fortuner would have been designed to run perpetually for the lifetime of the car. My questions is - can one expect the same of the Pajero C/D, notwithstanding the fact that it has a 2H mode as well?

Hope I have not muddled this up further

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

The centre diff is not really working round the clock when in 4h, it actually hardly has to do much, only small movements. It’s when you face up a slippery hill and all the power goes to one front wheel that it works overtime.
      It is designed to be run full time, you won’t wear it out. The Toyota one however....
      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

As NJV6 says the 4H mode (AWD) uses the center viscous diff to remove the chance of bindup within the transfer case. and like a LSD on the rear axle its designed to be used as long as needed thats why it is what it is - and also why SS was such an improvement over the older system.

It can indeed be run non stop and many do ---- personally I dont see any point unless you drive gravel roads or slippery roads. on the tarmac I have no issues staying in 2H
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• brw0513
          • Apr 2018
          • Brisbane

I don't use 4H all the time on the bitumen. But I change between 2H and 4H a few times each day while on the bitumen travelling at low speed and when not powering.

I believe this is good exercise for the drivetrain.

When I first got my NL, the current owner couldn't recall ever putting the car in 4H. There were a few other oddities as well. The car had a very odd grumbly noise at around 3000rpm or so. I will go to the grave thinking this was the Super Select system trying to keep the drivetrain from slipping into 4H.

A good exercise in all 4WD modes on Bribie Island cleared that noise.

I really think our Pajeros benefit from a good 4WD outing.
          Ian B
          1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• Drewan
            • Apr 2017
            • Adelaide

Glad you know 4h is AWD my response when being told to tow in 4h was pretty much "you want me to do WHAT" with morex adjectives. My latest one has,never really seen dirt or the road. Nothing but hassles with 4wheel drive because its never been used. Far from benefiting I think its necessary to use it atleast monthly
            Last edited by Drewan; 26-11-19, 12:16 AM.
            Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• cool_dube
              • Nov 2019
              • India

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
              It is designed to be run full time, you won’t wear it out. The Toyota one however....
              Thanks NJV6! What was that about the Toyota one?

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
              It can indeed be run non stop and many do ---- personally I dont see any point unless you drive gravel roads or slippery roads. on the tarmac I have no issues staying in 2H
              Thanks stumagoo!

Originally posted by brw0513 View Post
              I don't use 4H all the time on the bitumen. But I change between 2H and 4H a few times each day while on the bitumen travelling at low speed and when not powering.
              Thanks brw0513!

Originally posted by Drewan View Post
              Far from benefiting I think its necessary to use it atleast monthly
              Thanks Drewan!

With the intent of keeping my Pajero's front axle in good shape, I will henceforth do 50% of my tarmac driving in 4H. BTW, did a longish drive in the mountains of North India earlier this year - with altitude touching 4500 m AMSL - and kept the car in 4H all the time, with occasional locking of the C/D in tricky situations. Noted that the Pajero gets into true "mountain cat" avatar in 4H mode

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	985012

Comment

• cool_dube
                • Nov 2019
                • India

More SSII queries

Hi folks - wish everyone a Merry Christmas! Am back with a few more SSII queries
                • Somewhere on this thread I read that when the engine is not running, due to spring action of actuator diaphragm, the actuator shaft resets to "away from front diff" position in absence of vacuum generation, which is essentially the "front diff activated" position. Is that correct? If so, does this imply that 4H is the "default" mode of the car and when the car is running in 2H, the vacuum has to work constantly to hold the actuator shaft in position corresponding to a disengaged front axle?
                • Of late I have noticed a strange behavior - when I slot the car from 2H to 4H, the upper lights keep blinking for a long time (few minutes) before stabilizing, with intermittent "flickers" (seems like they are just about to turn solid when the circuit breaks and they are back to their blinking self). In fact, sometimes I have to slot back to 2H and re-engage 4H before the light stabilize. However, once they have stabilized, all subsequent on/off is instant without any blinking at all! Quite puzzling. Any idea what might be going wrong here?
                • To avoid all this mess, I plan to keep the Pajero permanently in 4H. While I am aware of - and okay with - the marginal increase in fuel consumption, I was also told by another Pajero owner that it leads to (marginally) additional wear and tear of the clutch. Is that correct? Any other cons of a permanent 4H mode?
                Last edited by cool_dube; 25-12-19, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

I can confirm that the default mode is 4wd, and it takes everything working correctly (vacuum, wiring, 4wd ecu etc) to put it into 2wd mode. The other questions I'm not so sure about as mine isn't on the road yet

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X