• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyperscooter
    • Feb 2011
    • Brisbane

Easter break at Sandon River

Got back on Monday after spending 5 nights at Sandon River camping area in the Yuraygir National Park.
    Sandon River campground offers caravan sites and great options for fishing and canoeing. This river camping spot also fronts the beach on the beautiful Clarence Coast.

Had stayed at Brooms Head Craavan park last year and wanted to try this spot. I was not dissappointed. Fishing and beach literally a stones throw from the camp site. 4wding in the national park and state forests (on the tracks of course) and only 3 hours from Brisbane!
    No pictures of the fish as they were undersized but saw others with decent sizes.
    A nice spot for the family to swim, Mum to sit on the beach and Dad to play. .

(Having trouble uploading the photos. Will upload ASAP)
    ------------------------------------------------
    2001 MK V6 GLS Triton, 2.5" exhaust, Custom canopy, IPF spotlights, 40mm lift kit
  • hyperscooter
    • Feb 2011
    • Brisbane

[ATTACH]18043[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18044[/ATTACH]
    Local bird life.
    [ATTACH]18045[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18046[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18047[/ATTACH]
    The beach was nice to play on with the family.
    2001 MK V6 GLS Triton, 2.5" exhaust, Custom canopy, IPF spotlights, 40mm lift kit

Comment

• hyperscooter
      • Feb 2011
      • Brisbane

[ATTACH]18048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18049[/ATTACH]
      Looking back at the camp grounds. Right behind the trees.
      [ATTACH]18050[/ATTACH]
      Sitting watching the afternoon go by.
      [ATTACH]18051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18052[/ATTACH]
      Mouth of the river just at the end of the trees.

Comment

• hyperscooter
        • Feb 2011
        • Brisbane

[ATTACH]18053[/ATTACH]
        Sitting on the log looking over the bay.

[ATTACH]18054[/ATTACH]
        You can walk out to this island at low tide. People were catching Taylor off the rocks on the other side.

[ATTACH]18055[/ATTACH]
        Me.

[ATTACH]18056[/ATTACH]
        The river at low tide. Good kayaking and flat head fishing. Safe spot for the kids to swim.

Comment

• hyperscooter
          • Feb 2011
          • Brisbane

It rained so good time to jump in the trucks. Went froms Brooms Heads down to Wooli via the forest tracks. 3 hours to go 18km. Good fun.

[ATTACH]18057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18058[/ATTACH]
          Candole road meeting Wooli Road.

[ATTACH]18059[/ATTACH]
          The rig at home before washing. Carried alot of the forest track back to Brisbane with me.

A very nice spot that we will be going back too soon.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi,

Was down at Wooli a few weeks ago. It's a lovely part of the world. Gotta a few pics in Photos of your rig...

Looking forward tro doing more of thse tracks next time. This last trip was a Hobie overload!

Illaroo looks a nice campground too.

Cheers,
            Sally
            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• LordMayhem
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Brissy QLD

did you drive the big bog hole on candole forest road? it is alot of fun. have done it a few times. last time was during the last lot of floods we had water over the bonnet and where driving up water falls in some places

pic of how dirty you can get out there

94 NJ 3L Auto Stocker

Comment

• jcd
                • Jan 2008
                • Gold Coast

How crowded was it ? I have been before on a normal weekend and it seemed pretty popular so always assumed it would be well and truly overrun during Easter.

Bye Jeff.
                NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, BFG AT/KO's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Auxillary Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box.

Comment

• hyperscooter
                  • Feb 2011
                  • Brisbane

JCD
                  We went down on the Tuesday and were lucky to get three spots together and right beside the beach. Not many people arrived on the Wednesday but it was constant arrival on the Thursday. This was one of my fears of this spot due to its popularty hense why we went on the Tuesday. But the crowd was not that bad. Very quite at night and not that noisy during the day.
                  LordMayhem
                  The mud holes were alot of fun! (I have alot of the road on my driveway from washing it off.) So many trails to explore. Want to try and get to a communications tower on a hill 300m next time. It is on the map as a road but I bet it is gated. The view would be awesome.
                  Sally
                  Does my canopy stand out?? . I would be interested if you could PM to me so I can show the rest of our crew. Illaroo is on the next camping trip but I would rate Sandon river as a better pick for the distance from Brisbane. We did try to get to Sandon Village itself but you have to have a key for the gate to go up the track. We tried though! Also just shows that you cannot travel anywhere is Oz with out running or seeing another forum member.

Comment

• hyperscooter
                    • Feb 2011
                    • Brisbane

Update.
                    Went for another week on the beach at Sandon. Arrived after lunch on Sunday thinking that the weekender campers would have started packing up and going home. Not so. I found the only spare spot (which was the one I wanted, so very lucky) and it wasn't until Monday that the camping grounds emptied. (It also blew 40-50 knots that night. A lot of flattened dome tents LOL)
                    Still a very popular camping area and for very good reason.

Comment

• peejay68au
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • nsw

Originally posted by hyperscooter View Post
                      [ATTACH]18058[/ATTACH]
                      Candole road meeting Wooli Road.
                      Did you take the track to the left there? Takes you over the ridgeline of the mountain. Awesome track to do both ways.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• hyperscooter
                        • Feb 2011
                        • Brisbane

Yes we did. Took us close to two hours to get down the track as it was raining and very slippery! My brothers gps unit told him to go up this dirt road when he was traveling up from sydney to get to the camp site. Glad he turned around and went the long way. No way he would have made it in the 2wd car.

Comment

• peejay68au
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • nsw

Yeah it's a great drive to do. Not particularly hard but a great drive none the less.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Pinko
                            • Oct 2014
                            • Parkes, NSW

its a nice spot.
                            xmas new year its like sleeping in a sardine tin though.

a great national park. station creek in a canoe with the tide is a wonderful experience.

illaroo for me.

Comment

• peejay68au
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • nsw

Heading to Sandon through Candole and Borches road on monday with an older couple from another forum. They're coming from SA heading up north. Haven't tried Borches road before despite how many times we've done Candole. Be good to get some dirt under the wheels, haven't been out since Kelv rolled the paj 2 months ago.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X