• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Another Belt Replacement

Thanks Aussie Dan for posting pictures and procedure.

Replaced mine today. 121K rubber cracked.

After loosening locking bolt and backing off the adjusting bolt the alternator would not move. Used two 17mm ring spanners with slightly different offsets to loosen lower alternator bolt. Hammer used to back off first 1/4 turn.

Bolt---- in the front of of idler pulley ----- could perhaps be described as bolt in centre of idler pulley.

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• volks555
      • Jun 2014
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
      Replaced my belts this afternoon.
      Car has done 105K and glad I chose to do the belts before going away on our big trip up north next month. All 3 of the belts were badly perished and starting to crack.

The belts I used were:
      Alternator (2 belts) 11A0965
      Air-conditioning 13A0915

I got the part numbers from the Bosch catalog online. The aircon belt I got was a Bosch and the 2 alternator belts were Dayco belts. They were about $12 each.
      With the sizes above, all fitted easily and took me about 30 to 40 minutes to change over. Adding to AMR's post above, the locking and adjustment bolts for the aircon pulley are both 14mm. As stated, the alternator locking and adjustment bolts are 12mm.
      The only access you need is to remove the top (half round) part of the fan shroud. It just unclips and pulls out. All the work is done from the top.

Cheers, Dan.
      Good Info Mate, change mine few days ago... easy peasy

Comment

• rykiel575
        • Sep 2017
        • Sydney

Is there much difference in the belt brands?

I.e. bosch, dayco, gates?

The aircon belt on my new to me NP snapped when i was driving it back home.. luckily it wasnt the alternator belts. Im going to change all 3 belts and the idler pulley.. how do i check the harmonic balancer?

Cheers
        2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Alexey2357
          • Mar 2013
          • Sydney

Hi Everyone. I suppose NT is the same procedure.
          Can't find anywhere NSK 6301V.

Other thing is that not 100% sure about the bolts in the photos. Could you Guys confirm if I correctly understood what bolts were mentioned.
          Especially have issue with 3rd photo(I have many numbers on all bolts). The last page one guy said that it is the bolt in the middle of pulley. So I numbered as 1 it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• LukeAPEX
            • Jan 2017
            • Queensland

Video showing the process

Originally posted by Alexey2357 View Post
            Hi Everyone. I suppose NT is the same procedure.
            Can't find anywhere NSK 6301V.

Other thing is that not 100% sure about the bolts in the photos. Could you Guys confirm if I correctly understood what bolts were mentioned.
            Especially have issue with 3rd photo(I have many numbers on all bolts). The last page one guy said that it is the bolt in the middle of pulley. So I numbered as 1 it.
            Hey, you've probably already worked this out but I can help with the bolts in those photos.
            You've got it right, it's number 1 that you'll want to loosen for the a/c pulley.

Here is a video I found (not made by me) showing this exact process, although he takes the whole fan off, but like others have said it's not essential.

I'm going to try to do this today after work, fingers crossed I can finish before sunset.

This is my first post here so forgive me if I get the formatting wrong.

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by lance View Post

is there any tricky things i should know about before i lose some fingers ?

Approx cost ?
              make sure the engine is turned off
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• LukeAPEX
                • Jan 2017
                • Queensland

I did it!

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread.
                It allowed a weedy IT worker like myself to fix my aircon during these hot days.

I've got an NS pajero with 300,000ks and the process is exactly the same except that the aircon pulley is a lot easier to loosen, you just need a long socket extension.

Like other have mentioned the alternator needed a little persuading with a pry bar, but it's mainly making sure the tensioner is unscrewed nearly all the way.

I didn't change the pulley bearing though, thankfully it was still smooth.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• dultim8
                  • Feb 2010

Hi Guys.
                  I have managed to get my belts off but am struggling to get the alternator belts back on..
                  Is this normal?
                  When lifting up on the alternator it is like it won't go Higher cause it is hitting the engine.
                  I've got everything backed off as far as it will go.

Any tips here are appreciated.

Comment

• RUGGA
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • Adelaide

Are they the correct part numbers on the belts?
                    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Lance
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Melbourne

Does the alternator belt have an adjustable idler pulley, I can't remember.............
                      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• RUGGA
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2014
                        • Adelaide

Not an Idler pulley but a tensioner bolt and locking nut. If Dultim8 has loosened the adjuster all the way and has the correct belts, it should all work. Only those 2 real factors to check

Comment

• Ocean
                          • May 2014
                          • Blue mountains NSW

Replacing all belts 3.2DiD

Belt sizes with factory alternator are 11A0965 x 2
                          A/C belt is 13A0915
                          Likely the the common rail engine they are the same.
                          If it is not the factory or exact match alternator you may need different length belts.

Some time back I was looking at resolving a different issue and purchased a cheap eBay copy alt in that case a had to buy shorter belts.

If everything is genuine you should not need to have the alt hard up against the engine to get the 2 x 11A0965 belts on.

Once the belts are on and to correct tension the tension bolt and lock bolt/bracket will have a gap of approx
                          Last edited by Ocean; 12-02-19, 06:57 PM.
                          Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.

Comment

• RUGGA
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ocean View Post
                            Some time back I was looking at resolving a different issue and purchased a cheap eBay copy alt in that case a had to buy shorter belts.
                            Well, bugger me, who would have thought. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• dultim8
                              • Feb 2010

All bolts are loosened off.
                              Should it be a straight fit though?

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
                              Not an Idler pulley but a tensioner bolt and locking nut. If Dultim8 has loosened the adjuster all the way and has the correct belts, it should all work. Only those 2 real factors to check

Comment

• RUGGA
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2014
                                • Adelaide

Originally posted by dultim8 View Post
                                All bolts are loosened off.
                                Should it be a straight fit though?
                                Yes, as per Oceans quote. (I do remember it to be a little tight but not enough to think they would not go on). Can you confirm Oceans part numbers and original alternator?

Originally posted by Ocean View Post
                                Belt sizes with factory alternator are 11A0965 x 2
                                A/C belt is 13A0965

If it is not the factory or exact match alternator you may need different length belts.

If everything is genuine you should not need to have the alt hard up against the engine to get the 2 x 11A0965 belts on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X