• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wiseowl
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

Tyre Sizes and Tyre Fitters

I have just bought a set of 16" R.O.H mags for my NL Paj.

They came with Kumo Venture 245x70xR16 but they are only just roadworthy.
    So I asked the Tyre dealer can I go to a tyre with higher profile and he said Legally No and the above tyres are Illegal.
    The only one available to me Legally is 265x70xR16 and thats it. He says he wont fit any other size tyre above that as he can be prosecuted and that they are enforcing it lately.

Damn there goes my plans for a bigger tyre. I dont want to take a chance on the bigger ones if the Insurance company will void a claim in event of an accident.
    What is your thoughts on this.

Also I have been recommended Pirilli ATR at $249 each fitted and blanced.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Wiseowl; 22-07-09, 10:27 AM.
    Formerly 1998 NL Pajero Sold*******
    2007 BF MK11 302 BOSS GT VK4LQ
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

When i went to get my new tyres, the guy wrote down the wrong size (i need 265/70/R16 .. he got 265/75/R16) without even telling me, they decided on the bigger size .. and when it started scrubbing ... they changed them back, but as far as i know, you can go up a rerctain percentage in size .. and 75 (over 70) is legal???

Marc
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• peejay68au
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • nsw

Jax tyres took a look at my tyre placard and hummed and hared over it, mines a glx so it only showed 235/75/15 but I explained the gls came out with bigger tyres and he was happy enough to fit 31/10.5/15. Either that or my $980 would have gone elsewhere, and I suppose he wanted my money in his pocket as in another tyre shops pocket.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• CeeJay
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2008
        • Samford, QLD

Originally posted by Wiseowl View Post

The only one available to me Legally is 275x70xR16 and thats it. He says he wont fit any other size tyre above that as he can be prosecuted and that they are enforcing it lately.
        What if you rocked up in a mates car, with 5 rims in the back/on trailer and asked him to fit them?
        Last edited by CeeJay; 14-07-09, 01:37 AM. Reason: stoopid

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• marcthelegend
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2008
          • Gosnells, WA

are you sure that the bigger profile will fit without scrubbing??? I know on the gen 3, without a lift, 75's scrub, or at least thats what they told me after they fitted them! also not happy that they put the 'black writing' on the outside and white on the inside .. now i have to paint them all! grr

Marc
          05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
          brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• psproule
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
            When i went to get my new tyres, the guy wrote down the wrong size (i need 265/70/R16 .. he got 265/75/R16) without even telling me, they decided on the bigger size .. and when it started scrubbing ... they changed them back, but as far as i know, you can go up a rerctain percentage in size .. and 75 (over 70) is legal???

Marc
            Depends on what state you are in, 15 mm increase in NSW, VIC, QLD is the limit. A 70 to 75 is over that (25mm) and thus not legal even though many people run them. Check out the VSB's at the RTA.

I'm actually glad to hear of a tyre shop that knows the rules and is willing to recommend adhering to them. Many shops in the past have told me to run 75's and seemed genuinely surprised when I told them of the rules and showed them the maths.

There is an interesting thread over at 4wd Action where one of the... um.. "regulars" is grumbling that an engineer has knocked him back on 33's, a 3" lift and a 2" body lift. He is trying to blame it on the tyre shop. Even though NCOP II is yet to be ratified (and we are all in trouble if it is it seems) there seems to be a clamp-down of 4WD modifications.

Pat
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• NJ94
              Valued Member
              • May 2009
              • Melbourne East

I have just got off the phone to Vicroads and my insurer are here are the results:
              Insurer was not concerned about dimensions or load ratings as long as the tyre was roadworthy.
              Vicroads said the replacement tyre must not exceed 15mm greater in diameter or 25mm greater in width than the original.
              So if I wanted to replace my 265X70X15s with 31X10.5X15s (mine is an NJ GLS) I would not be covered because Vicroads has determined the car has been re-built (exceeded standard specifications) and I would therefore be deemed to have fitted unroadworthy tyres.

Not sure about other states but it seems to me to be one of these situations where a person can innocently get something like new tyres; encounter a gung-ho seller feller in a tyre store and end up breaking the law. In my experience the overwhelming number of tyre seller fellers are straight but seem to carry on about load ratings when that doesn?t appear to be of interest to the authorities.
              In my case the BFG ATs are off the list now as they no longer seem to make a 265X70X15 anymore. Damn!

Here is the link http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

Tyre retailers apparently have a code of conduct to which Vicroads is a signatory and it meantions nothing about tyre height. When I asked the waller from VIcroads he just said Vicroads had not yet agreed. I reminded him that Vicroads agreement appeared on this code of conduct he just repeated his answer. Apparently Victoria is the only state holding out over tyre size increases. It only creates confusion in my view and is not useful. Bloody nanny state.
              Last edited by NJ94; 28-07-09, 10:09 PM. Reason: Further information
              "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

VicRoads guy faxed me a reply to this sort of question a while ago.

His response was that 50mm diameter increase over the maximum standard wheel/tyre combo for that model of vehicle fine and that the paperwork hasn't been updated to reflect this.
                Insurance just told me that if VicRoads say its ok, then they are ok. Have kept the fax just in case!

From memory, a copy of the fax has been attached to a previous post in the forum somewhere, a search should bring it up.

But get confirmation, especially addressed, to yourself.

I went from 235/75/15 to 265/75/16 on my NL Escape.
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• m1s3ry
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Kalorama, VIC.

As already suggested, you can take your rims lose to the tyre place and have what ever size you want put on them. They tyre places only worry when they are fitting them on an actual car, making them liable AFAIK..
                  Steele Perkins (#1263)
                  NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• Snapcatcher
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • Brisbane

If you really want bigger tyres, you can easily find a shop that will fit them. The legal issue is something you have to decide. Me, well I decided to up up a size from 265/70/16 to 265/75/16, cause the tyres I wanted didnt come in the smaller size. While I did have one shop tell me they would not fit bigger tyres, none of the others said a word about it.
                    PM me if you want to know where I got my tyres on Brissy northside. Great service and good price.

Also on my Gen 3 with no lift and standard bumper, the bigger tyres didnt scrub when I got them, but recently I stoved and bent the bumper a bit, and now they do scrub. Ive got an ARB bar on order to fix the problem.
                    Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• Rexy
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Wodonga

Wise Owl is in Qld.

Replies are from WA, NSW, Vic and Qld.

All states have different laws.

Just be aware that what you read here may not be applicable to you.

Where ever you are

Cheers Matt
                      Matt

TOTTIE the Blue Paj
                      '02 NM Exceed, Lovells shocks and springs 2" lift, 32" Maxxis Bighorns MTs, ARB bull bar, 9500lb Warn winch with rope, snorkel, Lightforce driving lights, diff breathers, TJM sump & trannie bash plates, UHF, GPS, doovalackkies, fire exstinguisher, Rhino Rack & tray, Dual Batteries, whatchamicallits, Fourby Fitouts rear storage system, Engel 40L, fold down table, extractors

Comment

• watto
                        • Jul 2009
                        • Brisbane

Hey snapcatcher, where did you get your tyres done on Bris northside?? Also, what brand did you get and are you happy with them??... (how much too?)... I am looking for new 265 70 16's and do mainly sand and light off roading....(plus heaps of the black stuff like all of us) Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.. Cheers

Watto (NL GLS)

Comment

• watto
                          • Jul 2009
                          • Brisbane

Sorry Snapcatcher, just noticed the Mickey Thompsons listed in your thread...

Cheers,
                          Watto

Comment

• OnPatrol
                            Pajero Club Driver Training Officer
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Wiseowl View Post

They came with Kumo Venture 245x70xR16 but they are only just roadworthy.
                            So I asked the Tyre dealer can I go to a tyre with higher profile and he said Legally No and the above tyres are Illegal.
                            The only one available to me Legally is 275x70xR16 and thats it. He says he wont fit any other size tyre above that as he can be prosecuted and that they are enforcing it lately.

Damn there goes my plans for a bigger tyre. I dont want to take a chance on the bigger ones if the Insurance company will void a claim in event of an accident.
                            What is your thoughts on this.

Also I have been recommended Pirilli ATR at $249 each fitted and blananced.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.
                            Is that a typo error? 275x70x16 is 2.7 inches taller than a 245x70x16 tyre.

Comment

• Wiseowl
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by OnPatrol View Post
                              Is that a typo error? 275x70x16 is 2.7 inches taller than a 245x70x16 tyre.
                              Sorry Typo I now have 265/70/16 and they tell me thats just legal. I cant go any bigger got them from Bob Jabe he had a book he looked in. It all depends what size rim they came out with mine had 15" originally the new mags are 16". He said I was just legal in rim size and tyre size cant go any bigger. He also informs me all these cars that have like 15" rims and you go put on 18" mags like ya see on a lot of the older cars thats illegal. I wouldnt worry so much if the Insurance company was acceptable. How do they police it? unless they are having blitz on modifications eg tyres and rim sizes,body lifts and other mods they deem illegal. So for me its best to keep on the right side. Just think if they enforce it to the letter all the body lifts shops will be in trouble and lose heaps business..
                              Cheers
                              P.S I went for the maxxis for price $189 each fitted and Balanced on sale. I find them slightly noisy. But when window is up you cant hear them with window down you can hear them slightly.
                              Formerly 1998 NL Pajero Sold*******
                              2007 BF MK11 302 BOSS GT VK4LQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X