• Show
Clear All
  • Georgie
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2013
    • Secret Harbour WA

Painting

Hi all
    I really do have to tell you all about this I happened to have scored a new bumper from the dealer at a cost of a carton of Corona but it was silver and I needed it to be a grey colour
    so off in to Supercheap to see if I can buy an aerosol spray but the girl said bring me your paint code and we can mix it I was a bit sceptical about the match up but I have to say I am impressed with this product so I get two cans and go home and clean the bumper free of dust no primer required and I start painting two coats later and its done and its a perfect match so ok lets really test it I had some rust spots on the roof of the Paj so I gave them a light wet & dry sanding and sprayed them with the aerosol can and what a surprise you would not pick it other than the clear coat which I will do later so I can highly recommend this paint service from Supercheap
    Cheers
    Georgie
    2015 Sahara
    Black Mica in colour
    BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero
  • dhula
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • South of Perth

Was it Rockingham or Mandurah SCA that mixed it for you?
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

As the owner of an automotive paint repair business I love people who do this.

When they realise what a mess the spray cans have made they come to me to get it fixed, properly.

Georgie, I realise that your intentions were good but this wasn't the solution in either the case of the bar, or your roof. You, and people like you are not to blame, really - just trying to save a buck. But the people who make and sell these products without imparting the knowledge on limitations, proper use and application are just thieves. What did they charge you? $65 for two cans of basecoat?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but what you've done simply won't work or last and will look terrible. Ultimately the only solution will be to strip off what you've applied and respray the whole panel(s).

Honestly, I urge members not to do this.

This is the kind of thing I see, quite often. This guy started off to fix a few small stone chips....

Before

$1500 later (because he did more at the rear)
      Chris

Comment

• m_and_m
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
        I hate to be the bearer of bad news but what you've done simply won't work or last and will look terrible. Ultimately the only solution will be to strip off what you've applied and respray the whole panel(s).
        Do you need to strip it back, or can it be sprayed over. I ask because I have done this to a plastic spoiler on my son's car....and I'm about to get it sprayed again properly. yes...I used the super cheap stuff
        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

m & m, that depends. If the prep work wasn't done then everything above that has to come off until you get to a sound layer or plastic/metal, whichever comes first. Sometimes we can just sand it back, other times it's case of strip to substrate.
          Chris

Comment

• DrewXT
            • Mar 2014
            • Melbourne

How is that Dr Colorchip stuff for small stone chips?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
              As the owner of an automotive paint repair business I love people who do this.

When they realise what a mess the spray cans have made they come to me to get it fixed, properly.

Georgie, I realise that your intentions were good but this wasn't the solution in either the case of the bar, or your roof. You, and people like you are not to blame, really - just trying to save a buck. But the people who make and sell these products without imparting the knowledge on limitations, proper use and application are just thieves. What did they charge you? $65 for two cans of basecoat?

Honestly, I urge members not to do this.

This is the kind of thing I see, quite often. This guy started off to fix a few small stone chips....

Before

$1500 later (because he did more at the rear)
              Thanks for that ... you just helped me with my decision to do a respray on our Honda Civic Typre R - as clear coat has gone off on the roof
              2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Originally posted by DrewXT View Post
                How is that Dr Colorchip stuff for small stone chips?
                There have been a few of these systems over the years. They all depend heavily on proper preparation to get the product to stick in the chips and, in the ones that use a thinner to remove excess, very careful application to ensure that you don't pull the product out of the chips. As a short term solution to reduce visibility of the chips they can be quite effective, especially on dark colours, so second hand car dealers love stuff like this because it can save them a lot of money against resprays.

They're not a permanent fix and some last better than others which may need periodic re-application and, if polished, use of a polish that is either coloured or shaded to match the paint so that the polish that gets caught in the chips doesn't dry to a contrasting colour e.g. white polish on a black car.
                Chris

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2000
                  • Tasmania

I have used these matched spray cans but I got mine from a paint shop in Fyshwick. They also used some sort of device to determine the level of paint fade. Even having done this, you can see the difference. I used it for a few touch ups.

I also agree that nothing matches the fully prepared & professional paint job that only body shops can give. But of course it also comes down to cost.
                  NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                  NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• SophieTaylor
                    • Jan 2020
                    • AU

Wow! Love it. Have mine too painted with ceramic. The cost is $1495 with 5 year warranty. I got it from https://ceramicprotection.com.au/ . The shop did a pretty good job. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X