Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Moving the rear view mirror on the windscreen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBloke65
    • Aug 2010
    • SA

Moving the rear view mirror on the windscreen?

For me the rear view mirror on the windscreen is placed too low and obstructs the view especiallly when making turns. I've heard you can move the mirror by softening the glue with a blow dryer, taking the mirror off, removing the residue and glueing it back on with glass glue or heavy duty double sided tape.

Would that work you'd think? And what is that black thingy between the mirror and the glass, is that a double sided sticker they used? Any experiences?
    PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg
  • carl burgess
    • Sep 2010
    • WA

Hi, glad you mentioned that as i thought it was just me, i think it could be quite dangerous as it blocks your view when pulling out of junctions. As for moving it im not sure it is that simple, on other cars that black square is the designated spot etched in the screen for the mirror, i could be wrong though it would be worth asking one of the winscreen places for advice they could maybe do it for you for a small fee. Let us know how you get on.
    2009 MY 10 Challenger 2.5

Comment

• Roadrunner
      • Mar 2010
      • Tassie

I'd be very interested in that, too. Think it blocks most of your view to the left.

Matt

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

I had a similar issue with the PA. Windscreens OBrien told me the mirror had to be mounted in the dark locator spot on the winscreen (legal).

I found after taking (unclipping) the mirror off the bonded mounting plate that there were two adjusting balls on the support arm, so after adjusting both my balls I had a better view.

Heres how; I lifted the arm upwards at the winscreen end of the arm which raised the mirror and adjusted/angled down at the mirror end. The balls are quite stiff so support with other hand if you're not happy with the pressure required. I was able to swing it a bit closer to me as well on the w/screen end ball.

Worked OK for me but if the PB mirrors are different ... then Ive just wasted your time and mine.
        Attached Files
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• wasarangie
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2010
          • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
          I found after taking (unclipping) the mirror off the bonded mounting plate that there were two adjusting balls on the support arm, so after adjusting both my balls I had a better view.
          Yes there are 2 balls on the PB also. Mine was set at the lowest point when it was delivered. After adjusting the windscreen end up as far as posible the vision problem is gone.
          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• BigBloke65
            • Aug 2010
            • SA

There are so many balls jokes here I'll just leave that hanging

Thanks for the info guys. I turned the S-shape connecting the mirror to the holder upside down, turned the mirror upside down as well and with that it is quite a bit higher. Good enough for me now

PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• paulisok
              • Oct 2009
              • Brisbane North Side

There sure is a sack of information on this forum, its great you guys to come to a solution.

"Don't argue with an Idiot
              They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

2009 NT GLX 3.2 DiD Auto, Ironbark, MM Alloy Bull Bar, TJM Classique Side Steps, Fogs, GME TX3440 UHF, Dual Battery, Pajero Sports Roof Racks, DIY Rear Storage, Fridge, Tint, Tow, and loviin it.

Considering Mods; OME Sports Suspension, Snorkel

Comment

• Pickle
                Administrator
                • Jun 2007
                • All over Oz

Originally posted by BigBloke65 View Post
                There are so many balls jokes here I'll just leave that hanging
                Originally posted by paulisok View Post
                There sure is a sack of information on this forum, its great you guys to come to a solution.
                Have you done "testes" on the mirror.
                Maybe the reflection is upside down now
                Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• norto
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Batemans Bay

I fit windscreens a few days a week and
                  the first thing i did was remove the mirror and
                  mounting slug and raise it up as far as i could
                  Pete

Comment

• BigBloke65
                    • Aug 2010
                    • SA

Originally posted by norto View Post
                    I fit windscreens a few days a week and
                    the first thing i did was remove the mirror and
                    mounting slug and raise it up as far as i could
                    So how would you do that specifically?

Comment

• norto
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Batemans Bay

Bump the mirror upwards to remove it.
                      Then get a gas blow torch and heat the slug.
                      Be careful when it falls off because it will be red hot
                      and burn the car or yourself .
                      Get a windscreen fitter to re attach the slug.
                      The aftermarket glue doesn't last.
                      Pete

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X