Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • activnt
    • May 2010

I had rattles throughout the car from new. Most annoying was squeeking where the centre console met the head unit (i.e. in front of the gear lever where it sits in the piece under the cigarette lighter). Dealer removed centre console and slid some foam in between. 2 years later and it still doesn't squeek. Glove box rattled and dealer replaced it - no more problems.

Had squeeks and rattles round the gear shift and that piece of plastic above the glove box. Put some teflon spray on both and squeeks instantly gone and haven't returned (one year since). Drivers door squeeking also fixed with teflon spray. All up cost me $15 for the spray.
    2010 Gold ACTiV NT: twin lockers, lift, lights, winch & other stuff

Comment

• Overland
      • Jun 2010
      • Sunbury Victoria

Originally posted by bro View Post
      try de geear stick pastic on top of it is rateling in my just put my tumb over it and it stops so I can listen for other ratels
      Mine did the same, I popped it out and put a little drop of super glue under it. The dealer told me they would have to put the whole gear shift assmebly apart and need it for a day. I fixed it in 10 minutes.

I still have an annoying rattle in the middle off the dash around that cover to sort out.
      Cheers, David.

2010 Pajero Activ Auto DiD.Ironbark, ECB Polished Big Tube Bar, IPF HID Driving Lights, HID High Beam Conversion, Dual Batteries, Midnight Express Tinting, Thule Roof Racks, Cargo Barrier, UHF, Brake Controller, Factory Towbar.

Comment

• mjwilmo
        • Jan 2012
        • Canberra

I've had the same annoying rattle from new, and cant work it out.. it sounds like it coming from where the passenger side dash air bag is. Im not all that game to go digging in there, so I'll have to live with it. Just turn the music up a little louder, all good.

Comment

• Jackal
          • Aug 2009

Jackal

G'day Alister, my NT also had a rattle early on which appears for all money to be coming from the dash area. My local Mitsubishi Dealer greased the auto gearstick and that solved the problem. I'm starting to hear noises again--and again they appear to be from the dash area to the left, so will put it into the dealer again to see if the auto stick needs regreasing.

Rattles can drive you nuts, too much plastic in all vehicles today--not just Pajeros. I had a 1990 Troopie for 17 years prior to buying the Pajero, metal everywhere, not a single bloody rattle and plenty of space to hang radios etc; Hope this helps?

Jackal.

Comment

• abw
            • Aug 2013
            • Sydney

Yeah, it's the price of having lots of gadgets.
            was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• Odie
              • Oct 2009
              • Tassie

Rattle locations can be difficult to pick whilst driving and sometimes it's nothing. Firstly - Double check that there is not something loose in your glovebox, sunnies in a roof mounted sunglasses holder (if yours has one) or even something loose rattling in the main centre console bin or it's smaller lid compartment.
              Mine had a rattle caused by a wire from my brake controller. One section of wiring was loose enough to cause a rattle. Took a couple of minutes and a wire tie to fix.
              I also had the front passenger seatbelt latch replaced under warranty because the spring inside it was rattling.
              Last edited by Odie; 20-03-14, 06:45 PM.
              2009 Ironbark VRX DiD Auto. 3000kg tow bar.
              Modifications: Polyairs, MMCS Overide, Prodigy Brake Controller, DBA T3 Rotors/Factory Pads

Comment

• jon_m
                • Aug 2015
                • goldcoast

Hi Marquis
                In your post #9 the pdf attachments look very sharp. I have just bought a CD from eBay with similar info, but it is not sharp. I have not installed it - just using the IE viewer. Even printing it does not give a sharp image.
                Are your pdfs from some original MM type manual or did you install the manual off a CD (if an el-cheapo from eBay like mine)?

Thanks
                Jon

Comment

• JoshF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Brisbane

My Glovebox lid sometimes rattles offroad. A small piece of soft material folded to the right width works fine.
                  NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                  Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• DGM
                    • Oct 2007
                    • SE Melb

Drivers side sun visor

I have a noise every now and then and tracked it down to the drivers side visor. I was sure it was in the dash but it turns out it's the visor. On very rough tracks there is still a thumping type noise up under the dash near the windscreen area near the centre of the dash.

The small plastic slider visor extensor in the visor seems to come out a little and when I push this back in a bit and move the visor up and down a bit it seems to fix it for quite a while.
                    Duncan
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    MY21 NX GLS not much done to it yet, catch can, uhf

2007 NS VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, ARB Bar, Warn winch, IPFs, Dual Bat, GME TX3440 UHF, Custom rear storage, BFGs, Suspension upgrade

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

There is quite a long thread with some solutions to the dash shakes in here.

This goes a long way to keeping the dash stable, the brackets can be difficult to install, but worthwhile along with the cable ties to pull the front of the dash down slightly. Tighten every nut and bolt you can find as you reassemble the dash.
                      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• smjones
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Dawesville Western Australia

Sounds like the exact same problem.

My rattle sounds like a marble moving around sometimes. I've even been tempted to strip the doors down, but it looks from the book that there is very little access anyway. The noise only happens when the weight goes one side or other (just as if there is a marble rolling in a confined space).

funnily enough, my grandson did loose some marbles under the seat floor of my last car. That was easy as I followed the marbles with a good squirt of glue and then went for a drive. Marbles hit the glue and no more movement.

With my 2010 NT. I've had the centre console out and it's all tight and solid, nothing loose under there. The glove box gave some access to the rear of the dash and there is something that swings free to the right of the dashboard, I've 'foamed it' stuck it and jammed it But it isn't that. My son thought it might be a referred noise from underneath and he hung out the door, and even lay by the side of the road while I drove past. But all to no avail to finding the source. I had the dealership look when they did the airbag recall, thinking it might be something back there that had snapped off. They couldn't find the cause either. I can't stop the hinges on the centre console 'storage compartments' making a little noise, but that isn't the real noise I'm chasing. The latest is reseating the wires and sensors on the firewall, but there wasn't anything very loose. I did tape the lid of the fuse box down as that made a 'click' when moved.

Any further ideas of where to look are most welcome. If I find it - you will be the first to know!

Comment

• Jackal
                          • Aug 2009

Jackal

G'day Alister, I had the (same) sort of rattles in my 2009 NT early on in its life, and I too thought the rattles were coming from the dash, in fact I was sure it was the dash. Put in rubber strips in and around glovebox, may sure glove was empty and still rattles.

Took it back to the dealer, picked it up later in the day and rattle had gone. Turned out it was the gear lever (auto), apparently they need a coat of grease as this is missed during assembly.

I'd get someone to look at this--before you go ripping out the dash because being plastic, once you disturb the plastics you will hear rattles as you have never heard them before!

My NT has now done over 132,000 clicks and there are absolutely no "dash" rattles. The greasing of the gear lever fixed it.

Hope this helps.
                          Alan.

Comment

• Garc
                            • May 2015
                            • Perth

I recently had bad rattle and a bit of a thump over speed bumps. Thought it was from the back seat door. Turned out to be the bolt at the end of the dash, under the plastic end plate. Passenger side was fully loose, drivers side was finger tight. Tightened up and the car is transformed.
                            Attached Files
                            Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Dev74
                              • May 2012
                              • Soldiers Point

Good spot Gary. I checked mine and both bolts fell out! That's one less rattle to worry about...

Comment

• JohnGavin
                                • Jan 2013
                                • South Africa

Not sure if i posted it before but i found another item that rattles quite a lot and is hard to find.
                                It sounds like its from the cabbyhole but it is infact the airbag box,and this specific box it seems is only found in the 2010 models and up.
                                If you remove the cabbyhole and look straight up into the dash you will see a cigarette box size black plastic box with a harness that goes into it
                                you will hear if you tab on the box how it rattles.Its not actually the box thats rattling but the harness going into the box.All i do is wrap insulation tape around the harness where it goes in and around the black box.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X