• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alister
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

NT dashboard rattles

I have a rattle in the dashboard I can't find. It sounds like rain on the windscreen so I'm guessing it's glass or plastic related. Sounds like it's coming from the left hand side, but the little woman thinks it may be more toward the middle. So I'll settle for between the driver and the left corner.

I've had the glovebox out and stuffed foam everywhere I can find. Same for the centre air vents and the computer readout. Still got it and have no idea now. Only done 15000kms.

The dealer says he will take the dash apart bit by bit, but finishes the offer with the comment 'but do you really want to open a can of worms?'.

If anyone has any experience with dash rattles or has any suggestions I'd really appreciate your comments.
  • dan_rocks
    • Dec 2009
    • Perth Hills

Lucky for me, my NP doesn't rattle. but I can imagine it would drive you crazy.
    As per the supercheap add, check the ashtray for your wifes earings, before you start pulling things apart.
    Dan

Comment

• eman
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2009
      • Cranebrook, NSW

Have you tried pressing on certain bits of the interior to try and isolate it?

I've got 3 annoying rattles after 105,000km
      - Glovebox which is probably something inside it
      - Front console underneath the coin holder thing, stuck some foam in there and that seems to have quietened down
      - Drivers side the plastic trim pieces near the door, either dash or lower half
      2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

• marquis
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Newcastle

You are going to have to remove all the main panels from the upper and lower middle dash/console area (ie clock down to the cig plug area)

I recommend using the workshop manual to guide you for removal procedure

Then a heap of foam tape around anything that rattles prior to reinstalling (eg switches, mounting brackets, etc)
        --
        Marquis
        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• markpeh
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2010
          • Lake Clarendon QLD

my mmcs rattles...
          NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• David Anderson
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Albury

Also check in front of the fire wall in the engine bay.
            (not easy on the move.)
            I've had a loose mount on the air cleaner that sounded like it was in the dash.

Originally posted by alister View Post
            The dealer says he will take the dash apart bit by bit, but finishes the offer with the comment 'but do you really want to open a can of worms?'.
            My dealer re secured the jack in the back on mine when I told them the back door was thumping again.
            Last time they couldn't fix it either, but a local mechanic sorted it in about 2 minutes.
            Makes me wonder what my warranty is worth seeing the dealer wont extend mine to the 5 years..

09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Warren1967
              • Sep 2010
              • Camden

I've had them since new and they drive me nuts (sick of trying to get them to fix them)! Hope when they finally do a new model they lift the quality of materials, matching colours and workmanship!
              2014 White Holden Colorado LTZ

Comment

• bro
                • Dec 2007
                • sydney

try de geear stick pastic on top of it is rateling in my just put my tumb over it and it stops so I can listen for other ratels
                Pajero NT Activ
                Wish List:The lot

Comment

• marquis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Newcastle

Some diagrams attached.

You do not have to remove everything shown - but I recommend (after other items) items 23, 24, 25, 26

I thought the MMCS rattled but it was other items around it...
                  Attached Files
                  --
                  Marquis
                  SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• alister
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Thanks so far guys, but no-one has anything new to date. Here's what I've done so far.

Firstly I headed to Clark Rubber and bought an assortment of sticky rubber and sticky foam strips. Got a bit of everything just in case.

Glovebox aka the plastic from hell: There seems to be three areas in this little gem. The lid itself tends to rattle on the catchs so I stuck foam on the sides to put pressure on the left and right catches. That helped. The hinges rattle so a little non-slip mat (the stuff that's about a mm thick) wrapped around the hinges tightend that up. That helped. Lastly the thing on the right that makes the lid open slowly may have been a problem as well. A little 6mm foam between it and the left side, pushed back to the end, while the glovebox lid was out to do the hinges. That was the end of the glove box rattles.

Centre console: I could hear the top of the centre console, around the gear knobs, creaking and groaning when I had it apart to put the uhf in. It all unscrews from underneath, so spread it out on the table and stuck thin sticky foam strips (about 2mm that squashes to almost nothing) between the base and the cover until no funny sounds left. That took care of that.

I do sometimes think the lid on the centre console rattles a little, note that someone else did a good writeup on that, but haven't attacked it yet.

That was that for a while, now a new rattle is doing its best to annoy the hell out of me. It sounds to be deep in the dashboard. I've taken the entire glove box and surround out to stuff foam around everything I can reach. Similarly, the centre vents and the computer readout have been out, more foam and a little blood went in. There was nothing obvious loose, screws, clips, cables etc. I even rammed a little foam between the air ducts.

So far it has me buggered.

alister

Comment

• Ris
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Geelong Victoria

I haven't experienced the rattles on a continual basis. All I have experienced !!is shear Sh--- when I drive across any sort of rough surfaces, the NT dash board visually shakes before my eyes !!! Let alone the deafening thudder!!!

Comment

• Sabre
                        • Apr 2010
                        • SE Qld

Originally posted by Ris View Post
                        I haven't experienced the rattles on a continual basis. All I have experienced !!is shear Sh--- when I drive across any sort of rough surfaces, the NT dash board visually shakes before my eyes !!! Let alone the deafening thudder!!!
                        Ris,

Can't agree more....Last year we had to drive the inland track on Fraser Island, which is just fully corogated, I couldn't believe the movement in the dash

Comment

• Moriarty
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Toowoomba

Originally posted by markpeh View Post
                          my mmcs rattles...
                          ...but with your road so do your teeth by the time you get aywhere.

Comment

• aceshooter55
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Endeavour Hills

We had a rattle in our MN Pajero and had the dashboard removed and put back in place with silicone, still had a rattle, we ended up putting a wedge of plastic between the dash and the winscreen, rattle fixed, hope this helps you.

Comment

• Avanner
                              • Jul 2007

Unbelievably I chased a rattle in dash area to the extreme and eventually suspected the windscreen glass shifting in its frame. Hard to prove, but when the screen was removed there was plenty of adherent at top, bit sparce on sides, and hardly any at bottom. Proper replacement fixed!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X