• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newby
    • Jun 2017
    • Perth

NX tyre choices

I am looking at buying 265/60r18 BFG All Terrain T/A K02s for the NX. The tyre merchant suggested that I up size to 265/65r18 and it will put the speed out by 3.5%, i.e. speedo reads 100kph actually going 103.5kph.

Has anyone else have done this?

What are the mechanical ramifications, if any?

What advantage would this give me offroad or towing?

which way should I go?
    2016 NX GLX MY17 | Mitsu steel front bar | Mitsu towbar | sparewheel lift | 20" 'Lethal' Slim LED Light Bar |
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Newby View Post
    I am looking at buying 265/60r18 BFG All Terrain T/A K02s for the NX. The tyre merchant suggested that I up size to 265/65r18 and it will put the speed out by 3.5%, i.e. speedo reads 100kph actually going 103.5kph.

Has anyone else have done this?

What are the mechanical ramifications, if any?

What advantage would this give me offroad or towing?

which way should I go?
    The larger size tyre proposed by your merchant is a common "upsize" for Pajero, and is a more common size of tyre, so you'll have a larger choice of tyres - but if you've already chosen the BFGs that isn't a significant issue for you. Many owners here have done this (and an equivalent upsize on 17" wheels on earlier models).

Your speedo will currently be "over reading" i.e. your indicated speed will be higher than your actual speed. Moving to the larger size of tyre will reduce this "factory error" and make your speedo more accurate.

Mechanically, the taller gearing means your torque converter is likely to spend more time unlocked, particularly if you're towing. MM 4x4 sells a couple of excellent lockup kits to help you manage this issue - check out MM 4x4's forum in our Commercial Advertisers section.

Offroad, the larger tyres will technically give you more ground clearance, but the extra sidewall height will probably encourage you to deflate your tyres further - so it's arguable if the extra sidewall makes a significant difference.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

The larger tyre makes your gearing taller and the car has to work harder if towing heavy loads or doing steep off road work.

Depends what you intend towing, where & for how long.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Newby
        • Jun 2017
        • Perth

Thanks NJ SWB

So now I need to weigh up whether it is worth upsizing (cheaper tyres), and buying ($450) and installing a TCC.

Now a new problem to ponder!

2016 NX GLX MY17 | Mitsu steel front bar | Mitsu towbar | sparewheel lift | 20" 'Lethal' Slim LED Light Bar |

Comment

• Newby
          • Jun 2017
          • Perth

Thanks Spot 01
          your comments are appreciated

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Also, sometimes overlooked, but are you getting a matching spare?

If not, you may get issues with the car's electronics going nuts if the rolling diameters of all tyres on the road don't match closely - even the same tyres but with significantly different wear can upset these cars. The same size but different brands/types/construction increases the chances of a Pajero dummy spit. Using different sizes even for a short while will almost certainly result in Pajero saying no. Not to mention increased loads & wear on diffs, etc.

If yes, larger tyres sometimes won't fit in the spare cover, esp. with the spare lift kit if towing.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Newby
              • Jun 2017
              • Perth

Thanks Spot01
              I am renewing all 5 tyres.

yes I have thought about the spare wheel lift and i do not think the "65"s will fit in.

So I have opted for the 265/60r18s.

Comment

• dc80
                • Jan 2019
                • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                The larger size tyre proposed by your merchant is a common "upsize" for Pajero, and is a more common size of tyre, so you'll have a larger choice of tyres
                Agree with everything (except for the above) nj swb states here and has covered the topic off well, plus input from spot01. The above though, through my own research isn't quite correct. 265/60 is a more common size of tyre than the 265/65. See below for example of what's available on Tyresales.

265/60 (69 choices)
                Explore 265/60 R18 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

265/65 (11 choices)
                Explore 265/65 R18 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

I thoroughly researched this and just about pulled the trigger on a set of 5 265/65s (upsizing the spare) but found out my truck would be technically illegal in WA as laws state a maximum 50mm raise from lift and/or tyre size change. I have a 2" lift and didn't want to risk issues with insurance if I have an accident. A secondary factor was torque converter lockup and also if I go bush and manage to puncture more than my spare I'd need to find a replacement which may be easier if I stick with the 265/60.

I ended up going with a set of 4 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws which I've been very happy with. Found them locally $885 total after the buy 3 get 4 deal.
                2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by dc80 View Post
                  Agree with everything (except for the above) nj swb states here and has covered the topic off well, plus input from spot01. The above though, through my own research isn't quite correct. 265/60 is a more common size of tyre than the 265/65. See below for example of what's available on Tyresales.

265/60 (69 choices)
                  Explore 265/60 R18 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

265/65 (11 choices)
                  https://www.tyresales.com.au/search?...pect=65&rim=18
                  Thanks for that - I stand corrected.

To be pedantic (because it's a special talent of mine ) if you select the offroad / 4wd option on the left, then look at load ratings, the number of options in both sizes rapidly diminishes (on that site). But I agree that the larger size doesn't show the larger range that I thought was available.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Newby
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Perth

thanks

Thanks Guys for your input
                    Its appreciated

Comment

• dc80
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Thanks for that - I stand corrected.

To be pedantic (because it's a special talent of mine ) if you select the offroad / 4wd option on the left, then look at load ratings, the number of options in both sizes rapidly diminishes (on that site). But I agree that the larger size doesn't show the larger range that I thought was available.
                      I too was suprised to see so few 265/65 options, I thought there would be many more. And yes lots of passenger rated 265/60s and many HT options! Also, I gather by proportion there may be more LT 265/65s.
                      Last edited by dc80; 30-08-19, 04:36 PM.
                      2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
                        • Nov 2018
                        • WA

Originally posted by Newby View Post
                        Thanks Guys for your input
                        Its appreciated
                        My friend has 2 inch lift and a set of 275/65/18, no mechanic issue at all. The car just would be a bit sluggish and consume more fuel. Dealer also confirms one size up won't be any issue.

Comment

• Ozzz
                          • May 2019
                          • Brisbane

has anyone tried one size up without modification? I believe some nice slim tyre can fit in .
                          My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• sar18
                            • Mar 2023
                            • bendigo

hi there i have a nx 2019 with ko2s on it and are they noisey tyres would,t get them again .trying to swap them with same rims and different tyres any takers 265/65/18s tyres were already on car

Comment

• Mundy55
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2015
                              • Gold Coast

Originally posted by sar18 View Post
                              hi there i have a nx 2019 with ko2s on it and are they noisey tyres would,t get them again .trying to swap them with same rims and different tyres any takers 265/65/18s tyres were already on car
                              I had KO2s on my 2015 paj from new and they were great for wear. I changed them over at 105k km (5 tyre rotation) and could have achieved another 10k at least but they were oh so noisy for the last 20k km and I eventually couldn't stand it any longer. I changed to Cooper AT3s which are much quieter but I won't get the same wear out of them. I'll be lucky to get 2/3 of the wear of the KO2s.

Might change to toyo's next time.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X