• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nater
    • Aug 2011
    • Sunshine Coast

Manifold clean & EGR blank

Hi guys,

I know the EGR thing has been done to death over the past few years with many variations. However with so many threads it's hard to determine if the mods have been a success.

I am about to do a manifold clean and afterward a full EGR blank and throttle plate hole.

I would like to know how members have gone with these two mods (full EGR blank & 12mm throttle plate hole (no chip)? Is the vehicle running well, is it or has it caused any faults over time.

Thanks

Craig
    2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Hi Craig.

I have a 2007 NS manual and have EGR block and throttle plate drilled. No issues and no errors but I still heed to clean the inlet manifold as have not got around to it

Does the NT need the throttle plate drilled? For some reason i thought it was only the NS that needed it to prevent the error.

Cheers, James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• markc
      • Oct 2007
      • Brisbane Sth East

I haven't done a manifold clean yet but will do so on my next service at 150K which will be this pajero's first manifold clean.

I fitted a full egr block however when my economy worsened by around 0.7 ~ 0.9 lt/100 checking over 4 weeks of similar driving I went for a partial EGR block with a 11.5mm hole (=10% of the pipe x sectional area) on the blocking plate. My plate is fitted to the outlet side of the egr cooler to minimise heat to the plate which is made of 2mm thick 304 stainless steel. I can provide a sketch if you're up to making one.

I can explain why this happens to economy but didn't want the flack of all the EGR block lovers.

My economy improved to where it had been for months and my theory is a partial block is better than none and give sufficient protection when a catch can is fitted..

I also fitted the pro-vent catch can and can confirm after 10,000 klm the outlet to the manifold is absolutely spotless with no oil to be found and the can has captured approximately 60ml of oil in that time that would of headed into the manifold to mix with hot exhaust gases = build up of carbon. Also at high temps a quality synthetic oil with fume off and release less volatiles than a syn/mineral blend oil.

I first tried the "chipit" imitation catch can (pro-vent copy) but still had oil in the outlet so bought the genuine unit which is doing a perfect job even though they both look near identical and measure up within 0.2mm on most tolerances that would mean anything.

Its also interesting that all the current Volvo Penta marine diesels are running pro-vent catch cans on the crank case vapour returns

So my 20c is to fit a partial block and prov-ent can, equals no oil to the manifold, no faults and better economy than a full block. The manifold will stay pretty clean and probably need a clean maybe every 100,000 or so but your better off fuel wise by around $1,300. you decide.

Good luck with your manifold clean

Note that the better economy is only while the manifold is reasonably clean and hasn't been chocked up with coal like some
      Last edited by markc; 27-06-14, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Nater
        • Aug 2011
        • Sunshine Coast

Thanks guys,

James, I'm not sure about the NT needing the throttle plate hole. I was under the belief it did require it.

Mark, could the worse economy be due to not having the throttle plate drilled, I.e. Not enough oxygen for good combustion?

Craig
        2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank

Comment

• aranciaman
          • Apr 2014
          • Swifts creek

I have just fitted the EGR module from SPV industries. Took about 5 minutes to do and seems good so far. We towed our 22ft van at 95-110km/h last night from Bairnsdale to Melb with a fuel average of 17 which I thought was good considering that I wasn't being careful. Haven't had the chance to see what driving without the van does yet. Only cost $50 inc delivery. Seemed easier than blanking plates etc. No codes. Don't know what else to look for. It does seem to have slightly better around town fuel average. Literally cut a wire, fitted two bullet terminals and then cut another to activate it. Taped it back into the loom and I was done. Worth a look.

Comment

• eman
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2009
            • Cranebrook, NSW

I have just cleaned the manifold on my NT during the 180k service, jeez that was fun.
            I also fitted the SPV EGR module while I was at it. Pretty easy to install, took all of 5 mins and the Ultragauge confirms the EGR is closed during the limited testing I've performed.
            Previously I had an EGR blanking plate from chip it and didn't have a problem or need to drill the throttle plate...
            2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

• Muzza
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Nsw

I fitted the SPV mod as stated and a 100% 3 mm blank just to be sure, no fault codes ever logged, no crap in manifold mid 8's not towing 15 towing
              I'm pleased
              The vehicle is chipped
              Muzza
              2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
              2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
              2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Kirkster72
                • Sep 2013
                • Sydney

Where can I get this SPV EGR from? & also does that mean I don't have to put a blank in?
                Still trying to work out this "egr blank thing"
                Cheers Bryan
                2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• eman
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • Cranebrook, NSW

Bryan send an email to [email protected] and they should be able to set you up with an order. No need for a blanking plate
                  2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

• Kirkster72
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Sydney

Thanks Eman,
                    Don't know if you remember me, I bought the Thule roof racks from you.
                    Cheers Bryan
                    2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• eman
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Cranebrook, NSW

No worries Bryan, and sure do, hope the racks are treating you well!

Comment

• Nater
                        • Aug 2011
                        • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by eman View Post
                        I have just cleaned the manifold on my NT during the 180k service, jeez that was fun.
                        I also fitted the SPV EGR module while I was at it. Pretty easy to install, took all of 5 mins and the Ultragauge confirms the EGR is closed during the limited testing I've performed.
                        Previously I had an EGR blanking plate from chip it and didn't have a problem or need to drill the throttle plate...
                        Hi Eman,

Can I ask why you did the SPV mod if the full blank plate was already in place and working without issue?

Cheers

Craig

Comment

• Nater
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by aranciaman View Post
                          I have just fitted the EGR module from SPV industries. Took about 5 minutes to do and seems good so far. We towed our 22ft van at 95-110km/h last night from Bairnsdale to Melb with a fuel average of 17 which I thought was good considering that I wasn't being careful. Haven't had the chance to see what driving without the van does yet. Only cost $50 inc delivery. Seemed easier than blanking plates etc. No codes. Don't know what else to look for. It does seem to have slightly better around town fuel average. Literally cut a wire, fitted two bullet terminals and then cut another to activate it. Taped it back into the loom and I was done. Worth a look.
                          Thanks mate, I guess that's the other option. Then no blanking plate required.
                          Is it pretty easy to install for an electrical idiot like me to install?

Comment

• eman
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • Cranebrook, NSW

Originally posted by Nater View Post
                            Hi Eman,

Can I ask why you did the SPV mod if the full blank plate was already in place and working without issue?

Cheers

Craig
                            Hey Craig,

Basically I preferred the idea of having the EGR motor closed instead of relying on the blanking plate, I've already had to replace an EGR motor and with it closed 100% of the time I shouldn't have to replace it again.
                            Plus there's the thought of something going wrong with the plate and destroying a motor...

Eden

Comment

• Roley
                              • Oct 2013
                              • Bedfordale Perth

I was looking at installing a Pro-vent catch can.
                              If i was to do the SPV mod would it still be a good idea to use a catch can or not?
                              NT 2011 GLS, Firestone Airbags, Dual Batteries, Redarc SBI12 Isolator , BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Guards, Uniden UHF, Cooper ST MAXX 265/70/17, SPV Mk3.1, Rear Skid Plate, 28" Light Bar, Foxwing Awning, MX Ultraguage, Old Man Emu 2" Lift, Tracklander Roof Rack.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X