• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

My Ex NSW Police MY16 NX Pajero

I currently own a 2004 NP 3.8L petrol Pajero which, once I got the fuel usage down, I really like. It will actually be hard to part with.

Due to change in circumstances however I have decided to take on a new novated lease (had one last year) and so I put down a deposit yesterday on an MY16 ex NSW Police Paj. My first TD Paj.

86,000km on the clock, full service history like all police Pajeros. All going well I should pick it up next week. Dealer has good reviews, wasn’t pushy in the slightest and mainly does ex government vehicles.

Like most ex-Police it has an ARB bullbar, Warn winch, spotties, Bridgestone duellers, but one of the deciding factors differentiating it from others was a long range fuel tank (looks like a Brown Davis judging by the look of the mounting points) which suggests it’s from the outback, but truth be told I’d prefer one from the outback than from the coast.

Had a worrying thought this arvo, anybody with a recent model ex-Police Pajero know whether the GLX5 (Police 5 seat version of the GLX) has it’s rear curtain airbags removed for some odd reason? I wouldn’t have thought so personally.

Anybody also successfully installed the spare tyre lift kit and make recommendations of which one to go for?

The only potential downside was that it looks like the passenger front door and maybe a little of the rear door have had a respray. I couldn’t tell until I looked along it very closely and the dealer agreed. I’d already spoken to the NSW police and they said they repair them before putting them out to auction so I’m thinking they sorted it out. Looks perfect, doors close perfectly and so I don’t know that it’s worth getting a body inspection for $300 because what are they going to say? Yep it’s been resprayed. It was probably an angry kid who keyed it when it was parked outside the cop shop. Being an ex police vehicle I don’t expect perfection and I want to take it out bush anyway. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 21-07-18, 07:06 AM.
  • skins2380
    • Jun 2015
    • ACT

Ex - Police Paj

Sorry mate, I'm an ex copper with over 30 yrs experience & wouldn't touch an ex Police vehicle with a 10 foot pole! Members of the public just don't realise how much extreme punishment coppers put their vehicles through. But Pajero's are a bit hard to kill.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by skins2380 View Post
      Sorry mate, I'm an ex copper with over 30 yrs experience & wouldn't touch an ex Police vehicle with a 10 foot pole! Members of the public just don't realise how much extreme punishment coppers put their vehicles through. But Pajero's are a bit hard to kill.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your input and opinion. I’ve certainly not gone down this road without searching for other people’s experiences and have found only positive reviews, mostly on this forum and including this one, which is not even the most recent:

You’re right I reckon re Pajeros being hard to kill, I set myself a max limit of 90,000km so I have at least 10,000km of factory warranty left and because the ones I looked at around 110,000km definitely looked a bit worse for wear. This one looks pretty damn good inside apart from a couple of minor plastic issues that can be corrected. Cheers.

Comment

• Plez
        • Jul 2018
        • South East QLD

Edit: I think I’ve been dumb and you already purchased it, in which case ignore the rest you already did your homework so enjoy your new vehicle

Not nx. But I just bought an nw that has been resprayed, at least partially, the rear door was definitely either replaced or fully resprayed, and there was a slight difference in the paint on the body.
        In my observations the body paint was just wear and tear resprayed and the rear door was a “that pole behind me came out of nowhere” situation.

I don’t want this to come across as rude or calling you inept, but just inspect the vehicle and come to your own conclusions of what would require the touch ups the vehicle you’re inspecting has received.

From mine I could tell there was a rear end reverse because of how the door seal in the interior reacted, and the body work was because it was a rural vehicle, bush pinstripes.

Just asses the worst case scenario that could result in what your vehicle has received and decide if you can handle that.
        In my option it was a shitty reverse, but worst case was a low-speed rear ending. I’d rather the first but I’m fine with the second for the price I got it.

If you’re confident in your assessment abilities take the vehicle, if not get it inspected, 300 dollars is a drop in the ocean for the price of a vehicle, even 3000 dollars getting ten vehicles inspected is worth it over buying one 40,000 dollar lemon.
        Last edited by Plez; 20-07-18, 09:54 PM.
        2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Thanks mate, that’s actually a really good way of putting it. I’ll have a good think about it.

Comment

• skins2380
            • Jun 2015
            • ACT

ex-cop paj

Let us know how you go after you buy it.

By the way a bit off track I know but, I bought a new caravan from a major auction place late last year. Sight unseen except for the pics on the site, a bit of research on google, talking to a tradie that done the plumbing on it & that was it. Got myself an excellent caravan for a real cheap price. Don't regret it one little bit.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Thanks mate.

So I went and had another look at it this arvo. Bear in mind I’ve put a $500 deposit on it but hey, whatever.

Mechanically it looks sweet as and drove great.

The long range fuel tank is almost certainly a Brown Davis which is worth $1500 supplied.

Still has new car warranty for 14,000km and a full service history.

Realised today that the side steps are silver, hard to notice though, all the mounts underneath are straight and the steps haven’t been installed recently as dirt under the steps is consistent with dirt under the car itself. The actual black “rails” of the car to which the steps are bolted are all straight. The colour of the steps don’t bother me. I guess it’s possible the original white steps were damaged and replaced as a pair, or were never there to start with, perhaps removed early on and then they decided they wanted them after all. Who knows.

Barely any other damage under the car, no major bumps or dents. Just evidence of being on a dirt road or two.

The left hand side passenger and rear doors have definitely been resprayed as mentioned previously. Colour match is good (flat white, maybe not that hard) and every panel is straight as a tack. Plastic moulding on bottom of doors looks original paint and straight. Front guard is straight and original paint. Rear guard is straight and original paint. Doesn’t look like front guard bolts have been touched as best as I can tell. Internal door cards fit perfectly and doors shut smooth as and everything lines up.

Using the decision making method mentioned above, I think the most likely scenario is door damage maybe caused by intentional damage, keyed perhaps, or hit a low sign / object maybe or something or other, and has been fixed and repainted by police prior to auction. I guess it’s possible the dealer did it too, hard to tell how recent it is.

For the same price that I got it, I looked at another one at a different dealer which had no genuine tow bar (none at all in fact), bald tyres and no long range fuel tank, and so I figure that’s a lot of extra dollars to get those things sorted out....

I think I can live with repaired damage for the sake of $$$ worth of extras included and still with factory warranty.

But feel free to chip in here and tell me I’m a bloody idiot.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

It's your money at the end of the day. I say if you're happy with the product and you've considered any sound advice do what makes you happy. Qantas ran a B747 off the end of the runway in Bangkok some years ago and repaired it for significantly more than the cost of a new aeroplane. That's how they remain safe you see, no hull loss. The moral of the story is though everything can be repaired.
                NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

The factory side steps are silver on all cars, regardless of paint colour.
                  The photo is a bit blurry, but they look like factory steps to me.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2017
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                    The factory side steps are silver on all cars, regardless of paint colour.
                    The photo is a bit blurry, but they look like factory steps to me.

Holy moly... I’ve NEVER noticed that!!!!

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                      It's your money at the end of the day. I say if you're happy with the product and you've considered any sound advice do what makes you happy. Qantas ran a B747 off the end of the runway in Bangkok some years ago and repaired it for significantly more than the cost of a new aeroplane. That's how they remain safe you see, no hull loss. The moral of the story is though everything can be repaired.

Some good points, cheers. I’d rather a couple of repaired doors than mechanical issues I reckon. They may not look perfect but that won’t bother me. I think I’m still feeling ok about it.

Comment

• 98NL GL
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Cairns

Hey Marty,

Im not a EX copper but I bought an EXCOP pajero petrol 3.5L V6 as my ride 8 years ago and its still going strong.

So Id say Buy it if you are happy with it on the first glance
                        XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
                        1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
                        1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
                        2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by 98NL GL View Post
                          Hey Marty,

Im not a EX copper but I bought an EXCOP pajero petrol 3.5L V6 as my ride 8 years ago and its still going strong.

So Id say Buy it if you are happy with it on the first glance

Thanks mate. Appreciate the input.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Plenty have bought ex cop vehicles and are happy with the purchase. They normally get serviced on time and looked after mechanically. I knew a few cops back in the NT as well as Telstra 4wd and wouldnt hesitate to buy one. They had to go remote and as such had to be reliable.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

Thanks everyone for all your assistance. Picked it up yesterday afternoon. I’m confident it was a good purchase. Annoying dash rattle far left of dash at certain speeds but will sort that out and could potentially get it fixed under warranty.

Rear cargo light isn’t working and it’s not the bulb. Also the rear park light wasn’t working when it was in my driveway but when I got to a relative’s place it was suddenly fine. Maybe a loose connection. Will need to suss those out. Everything else electric wise works perfectly.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X