• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by alanymarce View Post
    We plan to buy and install HF/VHF radio in Australia (no issues ensuring frequencies are appropriate, etc.). I'm assuming that this is a simple task? We would be looking for a small radio which we can fit into the existing dash.
    Is this a translation issue?

In the recreational market here in Australia, UHF is the predominant radio in use, for use within and between groups. You should have a UHF on Channel 10 when you're crossing the Simpson, to regularly announce your position, and listen out for others who should be doing something similar.

I'm not aware of anybody using VHF on land for recreational purposes - I associate VHF with marine use, or private comms networks, but I'm happy to learn of other uses.

HF is also used recreationally, but I believe it's more for enthusiasts, and I don't believe installing a HF radio into a 4wd is a simple matter. I don't think there's any such thing as "small" when you're talking HF - you might be able to get a remote head mounted in the dash, but I believe there will be a second, larger unit to be mounted somewhere. Again, happy to learn if I'm wrong.

If you're concerned about comms in an emergency, I recommend a satellite phone. Smaller, easier to learn to use. Just make sure you get the right one - some of the cheaper sat phones are not very reliable, and can be more of a hindrance than a help, as people waste precious minutes trying to place a call that isn't going to go through. I rate Iridium as the best on the market.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• alanymarce
      • Apr 2015
      • Colombia

Great - thanks. This is most helpful.

Not a translation issue - an ignorance issue (on my part). My experience with comms radios is mostly VHF (marine and handheld) and HF (marine). MY exposure to vehicle radio comms is limited to some time in the Sahara but honestly I never thought to ask the frequency (I did the driving, others were doing the talking).

So, I need some education and this is very helpful.

As I understand the advice, it's to get a UHF radio for local comms in the desert and this will be sufficient for communicating with other vehicles.

We have an Iridium Satphone and it's being checked and serviced right now.

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

You’d need a license for HF and VHF in Aus anyway.

Yes there is a fair bit of monitoring on HF by enthusiasts and the signal for a long way, good for remote comms- but HF can suck big time for clarity. As you’ve got a sat phone, just go with that and a UHF. For others reading who might be unaware, you can hire sat phones rather than buying- a good option for the rare remote trip.
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I travelled from Melbourne to FNQ with a guy who had a VHF radio and it was more trouble than it was worth. He had connection issues all the time.

I had a sat phone (Thuraya) and a SpotMe tracker to let the family know where we were each day. No problems with either.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• alanymarce
            • Apr 2015
            • Colombia

Here are the mounts we've built. One on the roof rack at the front, one on the bumper as an alternative.
            Attached Files

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Alan,

The photo of the mount appears to be attached to a non standard front winch bar, is this correct? To the left of your sand flag mount there is a welded recovery lug and I assume there is another lug on the other side, these may or may not be classified as a dangerous protrusion, when you import the car to Australia. There will be an easy way of mitigating this problem, if you can post a photo of the front of the car then suggestions can be made. Also the winch bar will offer some protection from wild life strike damage.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• alanymarce
                • Apr 2015
                • Colombia

Here's the front of the car:
                Attached Files

Comment

• alanymarce
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Colombia

All suggestions welcome

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks Alan for the photo, do do have any photos of the winch mount of how it attaches to the front of the car?

Custom made or off the shelf by who?

There will be others interested in this very neat installation.

Your recovery lugs could pose an ADR problem as they present a possible "hook protrusion" in the area between the 2 lugs. This could be easily worked around by removing the shackles and unhooking the winch hook from the lugs and fabricating a removable cover that fits over the lugs and extended completely between the lugs. When you need to use the lugs or winch then simply remove the cover. If you want a drawing then PM me your email and I will send a drawing to you.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• alanymarce
                      • Apr 2015
                      • Colombia

The winch mount was installed by Monkey Offroad here in Bogotá - they're associates of Pasión 4x4 Aventura, who have coordinated most of the work with us. I'll check to see who actually built the mount. Here's the best photo of the installation.

re the "hook protrusion" I've sent a PM and would appreciate your advice.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• alanymarce
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Colombia

Oops - thanks old Jack for pointing out my error in copying the Africa blog link.

It should be www.unochoenafrica.blogspot.com

Comment

• alanymarce
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Colombia

So: we're home again after 46,000 Km around Australia. We didn't fit a bullbar because we discovered that they're illegal in Colombia and we have to comply with the law in the country of registration of the vehicle as well as the country where we're travelling.

Saw lots of wildlife - didn't hit anything except one bird (not even any kangaroos on the Sydney Harbour Bridge!). We established the practice of slowing down to 70 Km/h in the last hour before dark, and not driving at night except in cities and a couple of occasions when we took extra care.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• alanymarce
                            • Apr 2015
                            • Colombia

One of the 24,000 photos: First campsite in the Simpson.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Garc
                              • May 2015
                              • Perth

Wow, great trip, well done.
                              Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• erad
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2015
                                • Cooma NSW

It is only when you travel around this wonderful country that you realise how BIG the place is. Hope you enjoyed your tour and come back for more.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X