• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BradJ
    • Sep 2010
    • Melbourne

Spare tyre & other items

Been lurking for a while so I thought I'd better post my discoveries.

I took the 19' caravan over to Kangeroo Island last month. She did well at 14.5L/100km. The old PA would have been 17L. On the way back to Melbourne drove over a lump of steel near Dimboola and popped a tyre.

After 10 seconds of swearing I thought, no worries, I'll have it changed in 10 minutes and be away. Not so. Couldn't lower the spare. It turns out the loose loop of chain had worked its way through a stud hole and jammed.

So do I bash & cut the chain? No. Don't want to risk that fight with MMAL again. So I called Diamond Roadside Assist and their man (aka RACV Dimboola) had me back on the road in 40 minutes with only minor chain damage. Good work DRA/RACV!

Last week the dealer could not give a rat's. So put corks in your stud holes or route the chain loop out through the spokes.

Other items were-
    Intercooler/compressor pipe sliding off the compressor - new hose clamp
    Crap AM/FM radio - all MMAL cars are like that - lots of complaints
    Left mirror falling off - tighten bolts
    Rear door catches & won't open still - 2nd fix has worked
    1st gear auto downhill changes up by itself at 3000rpm - "yes, it does that to avoid over revving the engine". WTF?? It does it to dump me over a cliff. What is the 4500 red line for?

And a HR tow bar issue still to be resolved. I'll post that one in a few days.
    Attached Files
    PB Challenger LS 2010 auto white, alloy OEM bar, HR tow bar
  • PBding
    • May 2010
    • Canberra

At least the Diamond assist package worked, will have a look at the chain thing in daylight.
    I've had that pipe trying to free itself from the compressor after an oil and filter change, two clamps look like a good idea to me.
    Will be interested to read about your HR towbar problem, is your rear door(tailgatw?) problem related to the HR fitment and the lack of a large enough hole cut into the plastic bumper?
    NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Brisbane

I've had the chain issue as well. I used a hammer and screwdriver.

I like your idea, i'm off to the cupboard to get start drinking!
      NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• wasarangie
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Ocean Grove

The chain problem is always going to be there. Many years ago I had an FJ60 Cruiser and it always gave me problems trying to lower the spare. It was tangled chain or stones or even just mud/dirt build up. When I bought the PB it was one of my main concerns, so far no issues yet.
        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• BradJ
          • Sep 2010
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by PBding View Post
          Will be interested to read about your HR towbar problem, is your rear door(tailgatw?) problem related to the HR fitment and the lack of a large enough hole cut into the plastic bumper?
          Sort of but I don't think they are related. You seem to be a bit psychic.
          PB Challenger LS 2010 auto white, alloy OEM bar, HR tow bar

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X