• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrex
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth

My DPF delete pipe

After reading through Roberts (Chip It) Performance Module (DPS215) thread, and a hint that they can do a DPF replacement pipe, I made a phone call.

Diesel Performance Solutions
    This website is for sale! chipit.com.au is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, chipit.com.au has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

[email protected]
    1800 78 48 82

Robert who is based in NSW with me in WA was very helpful and answered all of my questions. During the discussion Robert mentioned that they can build a replacement DPF. I have been to several local exhaust places, on the phone to Taipan exhausts over east and got nowhere with MRT performance, who didn't have the decency to phone me back. No one wanted to know or talk to me.

Robert mentioned that his R&D Guy (Justin) works from WA in the next suburb over from me. An hour later I introduced myself to Justin and we started talking. The wrap up of the conversation is yes he is able to build and fit an DPF delete pipe which is for race use only as it is a part of the emission control on the Pajero.

Justin currently builds and fits them to Nissan Navara D40's with a lot of success. The D40 has 4 inputs into the DPF where the Paj only has 2. Justin has guaranteed this modification will not bring up any engine check lights at all. The only issue may be some black smoke at initial take off only. Robert & Justin explain this in detail on his website. 8kw and 53Nm increase just by removing the DPF on the D40.

So my car will be used as the Guinea Pig. On Wednesday 16th June I have my car booked into Justin to build me a new DPF delete pipe. We have then booked it into my mates business Racetorque Engineering for a dyno run.

This is the same Dyno I used when i first had my Spider chip fitted. We will have the original results, then dyno with Spider still hooked up with no DPF and then with a Chip It module and no DPF tuned for my car.

I will keep everyone updated as to results.
  • Richo-NT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

how did you get on with Taipan? They actually manufacture an aftermarket 3" DPF unit with their exhaust kits so I'm wondering why you didn't go with that option? Is their a problem with it???

I'm surprised they got such a torque increase by removing it, a guy on these forums removed his DPF and got no performance increase in his opinion...
    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Wrex
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth

Taipan would not sell me a system and were very cagy as to why. After ringing a second time the truth came out, they are having issues with the new DPF putting cars into limp home mode.

This new option is not a aftermarket DPF but a straight through replacement.

Justin is building it so if for some reason there is a problem 4 bolts and it is back to standard.

Comment

• tommo1965
        • May 2010
        • Perth

should be intresting to see the results unfold....be nice to do a back to back with the chip it module versus the spider module as well . do you still run the spider wrex ?

Comment

• Wrex
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth

Yep still run the Spider and am very happy with it. We will do a back to back power run with spider vs Chip-it module.

This exercise for me is not about power it's about getting rid of the bloody DPF.

Comment

• Pearcie
            BushSkinz 4x4
            • Nov 2007
            • Wattagans

One of the guys I have talked to who wants to remain anonymous has done this mod to an NS and apparently very easy to do just replace the dpf with a pipe and mount the sensors back in to the new piece of pipe. No problems at all, he noticed a difference in performance but most noticeably economy, he now also has a spider unit.

I believe the DPF removal you are referring to was done to an NT SWB which has a different style DPF (more like an extra CAT) the change in DPF between the NS and the NT is part of the reason for extra power and better economy of the NT over the NS. So this is why not much difference was noticed in replacing the DPF on the NT as it is already a much better design.

Will be interesting to see the dyno results as I know changing the rear muffler section of the NS and with the Spider unit installed, makes it like a completely different car.

Cheers,
            Kieron
            2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
            Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• Richo-NT
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Brisbane

Pearcie what kind of performance difference did you get just doing the DPF back exhaust upgrade? That's what I'm thinking of doing, with the NT it looks like pretty decent 2.5" piping from the turbo through the cat and DPF, which are both also 2.5", the exhaust only seems to go crap after the DPF so I'm thinking if I just do a DPF back system I will end up with a pretty decent full 2.5" system from the dump pipe and from what your saying the NT DPF is a pretty decent design... just wondering what kind of difference to expect by removing the restrictive rear section
              2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Pearcie
                BushSkinz 4x4
                • Nov 2007
                • Wattagans

Hi Richo,
                I noticed a big increase after about 3000rpm once the exhaust was done, the NS feels like a greyhound tied up a to a pole trying to run after about 3000rpm. The pipe work shrinks down to about a 2.25" after the DPF and then the standard Muffler is very restrictive as well. So even though yours is a NT it wouldn't surprise me if you noticed a good difference in performance if you replace the pipe and muffler from the DPF back. For me the difference was like somebody cut the lead and let the dog free. It may not be quite as dramatic for your NT but I would definitely expect it to be a mod worth doing.

Cheers,
                Kieron
                Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Comment

• Chip Tuning
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Sydney

Thanks Wrex for the kind words.

Happy to be of service and always glad to hear that guys are satisfied with that service.

The bit of smoke on take-off can also be tuned out by our Chip It module as our Module can also REMOVE fuel ... not just add it like the other Chips on the market.

Also, by adding a little more boost pressure the extra fuel is balanced by the extra air so fuel ratios are maintained.

Cheers again Wrex

Regards
                  Robert
                  Chip Tuning

Diesel Performance Solutions

Contact [email protected] for 10% forum discount
                  (NB: Forum discount applies to Performance Modules only)

Office 02 8090 1881

Comment

• Wrex
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Perth

As Robert stated and his R&D guy Justin explained, this black smoke will be monitored after dpf pipe fitment and will hopefully see it disapear with the tuning of the Chip it module.

Pearcie those fuel figures are getting me even more excited.

At this stage the minister for finances can't give me the green light for another chip so it will be running the spider for now.

Comment

• awill4wd
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • Pakenham, Melbourne

Wrex, when you have had the DPF delete piping fitted could you ask Justin if he could give an idea of pricing please? Also if he would ship to the Eastern Australian states.
                      It would be nice if he could supply a bolt up unit that simply replaces the DPF section without having to resort to a complete exhaust system change.
                      Regards Andrew.
                      2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

• Wrex
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Perth

Yep will do

I'm sure Justin said it would be similar pricing to the DPF delete pipe they already produce for the D40, about $270.

Comment

• steveler
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by tommo1965 View Post
                          should be intresting to see the results unfold....be nice to do a back to back with the chip it module versus the spider module as well . do you still run the spider wrex ?
                          I agree , keep us posted please on the success of the project
                          Steve 08 NS VRX Pajero DID Auto . TJM Steel Bullbar Warn Winch 9000 ib Narva 175 Ultimate Driving lights 3 pairs Uniden IC440 , Haymen Reece towbar TJM Airtec Snorkel Tint ARB Old Man Emu 2 Inch lift springs and shocks . Coopers 265 / 60 / 18 ATR VMS 500 GPS . TPMS 40 Litre Engel Fridge Rhino roof bars and rack Dashmat TJM 175 lpm A/C Ironman Duel Battery Kit F&R ARB Diff locks Long Ranger 60 Litre Aux Tank Black Widow rear draws and water tank Chip it Chip& Delete pipe ARB Awning

Comment

• Pearcie
                            BushSkinz 4x4
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Wattagans

I like the idea of the dpf delete pipe however I am unsure on the consequences I know that over here it is a heavy fine up around $5000 for removing emission reducing components from the exhaust, whether anyone is likely to notice is probably very unlikely but given the financial implications of such a large fine or if in an accident the insurance company investigated and found the vehicle to be not road legal, seems like a big price to pay for the benefit of extra power and saving in fuel cost.

I may be wrong but I would be inclined to remove the dpf from a wrecked NT and fit it to the NS this way you still have a "DPF" just a far superior version and from what I have been told there aren't any wires or sensors going to the NT DPF so it would be a similar process to putting in a new pipe just with a better DPF. From what I can gather the vehicle would still be legal and have no legal impacts as the law simply states you cannot remove it, but doesn't say anything about replacing it with a better one, as this would make what custom exhaust places do building replacement DPF's illegal.

Each to their own really, if you can justify it then great i'll keep my fingers crossed nobody in unlucky enough to get stung by doing the mod.

Cheers,
                            Kieron

Comment

• jawk
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • Australia

Friends of ours have a brand new NT - Ive spent ages with the two parked side by side lokking at stuff. Particularly the exhaust system and MAP sensors plumbing.

The NT I looked at (Auto LWB GLS) had no DPF. Has a CAT right behind the turbo, then nothing until the two mufflers at the rear near the axle.

Without specific measurements it would appear the exhaust could interchange from the flexible join under the sump onwards... But that would result in no CAT and no DPF... not really good.

The MAP sensor is the same but the location of the spigot has moved from the bottom (on the NS) to the top section of the manifold. I dont see why it couldnt be moved. Plug the bottom spigot and drill/tap a new one in the top section of the same manifold - same pressure area.

So thera ya go, more useless info.
                              Gary

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X