• Show
Clear All
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Changing of wheel size, same rubber but LT

Yep sorry another tyre thread.

Before I forget to mention this is for a gen4 swb, so 16inch will fit.

Something I've been umming and arrrring about for a while, almost did it last time but had to get new rubber for rego and didn't have a 5th wheel.

I have 4 16inch NP factory alloys, still yet to get a 5th, but I'm wondering if someone is able advise whether I am going to have a increase in fuel consumption if I drop from 18inch passenger AT tyres to 16inch LT tyres.

I undertand if I was going from same size passsenger to same size LT tyres or would due to the increase weight of the same rolling diameter.

I'm considering going from 265/60/r18 Dynapro RF10 ATM currently on it, and are happy with them but they are only passenger construction. So would be looking with replacing with the same tyre but an LT 265/70/r16.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Craka,

I love my 16” rims!
    a 265/70-16 is the same overall diameter than the factory diameter of 777mm so this will not effect your gear or fuel economy.
    Going from an Passenger construction tyre to a heavier Light Truck construction tyre will consume more fuel as you have increased the rolling mass, however since you are not changing tread pattern or overall diameter then the loss will be minimal.

OJ
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Sweet, that is good to know.

Another thing I'm not sure about and a bit off topic from the origin of this thread, is whether the factory wheel nuts for the 18s are suitable to use on the 16inch NP alloys.
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X