• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

Change 7 pin to 12 pin plug on NW

I've done a bit of reading on here and still a bit confused. I've currently got the factory fitted 7 pin trailer plug (with pin 2 as 12+) and anderson plug. I don't need the anderson plug anymore and want to convert the plug to a 12 pin. This is so that the wiring from my caravan is compatible with both my Pajero and Jeep (12 pin).

I'm removing the anderson plug as this was being used to power a 3 way fridge & charge the breakaway battery. I now only need 12v to charge the breakaway and can pick this up off pin 12.

My problem is the Jeep uses pin 2 for reverse and 9 / 10 for 12v +/-. The caravan is easy to convert back to 12 pin (I converted it to 7 when I purchased it) and the wiring will match the Jeep. So I want the Pajero to match.

So does the factory wiring loom have all the necessary wires to convert to 12 pin, particularly pin 2 for reverse and pin 12 for auxiliary power?
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti
  • mr_bosman
    • Oct 2014
    • Warrnambool

I would suggest you follow the NARVA guide here
    A colour coded trailer plug wiring guide to help you require your plugs and sockets. Includes guides for 7 pin, 6pin, 5 pin, 12 pin, 13 pin, pin and heavy duty round plugs and sockets.

This the standard that most trailer sockets are wired too.

And the factory Pajero loom follows ( well in my case it did)

Should be easy to ID the correct wires

I believe that the +12 volt is pink I could be wrong on that will check.

I had two extra wires taped up out of the way and for memory they were pink and white.
    Last edited by mr_bosman; 28-04-19, 11:08 PM.
    2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• 2bad4u
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mr_bosman View Post
      And the factory Pajero loom follows ( well in my case it did)
      Thanks, that is what I am hoping. Does your reverse wire work? I have read that it is disconnected in the factory loom. The pink & white should be the +/- 12V for pins 9 & 10.
      Warren

Comment

• mr_bosman
        • Oct 2014
        • Warrnambool

Yep reverse works.
        2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
        http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• 2bad4u
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009

Finally got around to swapping my plug over to a 12 pin, all the wires were there taped back up in the loom, but have a couple of issues:

1 - No power to the heavy pink wire. I have read that this may be due to the connector behind the passenger headlight.
          2 - No power on the reverse wire. I think I may need the trailer connected to test it, but no power when in reverse. Possibly activated by a relay when the trailer is connected?

So the swap was easy but needs more investigation.
          Warren

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

This post may assist:
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• 2bad4u
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009

Thanks Pajshomoneroguntero. When the tow bar was installed they ran a hot wire to pin 2 so they may have disconnected the reverse wire so will have to check it out. While I'm there I'll have to check the pink wire too, but this is no biggie as I've already got the hot wire that was going to pin 2 it's just the pink wire was a heavier gauge so was hoping to use that instead.
              Warren

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X