X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajrex1456
    • May 2009
    • Box Hill South, VIC

When LRA quoted me (just over the phone) it was for an NH, a complete replacement 140L tank. Inclusive of tax and installation it was $1105 or something like that. They said they'd put one together when I place the order. Wonder why your 81L aux tank costs more. I should ask them for some more details, whether it'll affect my clearance.
    2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

1992 3.0V6 NH GLS - GONE!! The King is dead!! Long Live the King!!

Comment

• peterdeg
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • NW Sydney

Originally posted by outbackswine View Post
      They sent a couple of pics, and it seems that the ground clearance behind the rear diff is somewhat compromised, more than I hoped it would be.
      Here's a 'real world' photo of a Long Ranger tank. It's a little deceptive as it's taken from below the tank lookup up.

Imagine a line from the bottom of the diff to the rear bumper. The tank more or less follows that line. One side benefit, the tank helps stop you ripping the bumper off on sand dunes.
      Attached Files
      Peter
      2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• outbackswine
        • Apr 2009
        • Mount Isa - The Back Of Bumf*ck

Originally posted by pajrex1456 View Post
        When LRA quoted me (just over the phone) it was for an NH, a complete replacement 140L tank. Inclusive of tax and installation it was $1105 or something like that. They said they'd put one together when I place the order. Wonder why your 81L aux tank costs more. I should ask them for some more details, whether it'll affect my clearance.
        The aux tanks cost more as they include a dual filler neck, a pump, and a gauge along with all the plumbing etc, whereby the replacement would use most of the original parts, and there is no 2nd pump, gauge, filler neck etc.

Comment

• dean
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007

We put the 81L aux tank on ourV6 NM. Cost heaps but we wanted to do the Simpson, that left us with no choice, fit one or dont go. Jerries are not an option as there are 4 of us. We are about to head off on our second crossing, that makes it only $700 per trip now. Go for it, you wont regret it.
          Plus as mentioned you dont need to fill up as often, only longer when you do.
          Suspension may need to be upgraded as well as airbags.
          Dean
          NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Roy.kay
            • Nov 2013
            • Mornington peninsula melbourne

Tank

I have a 55 ltr tank complete sender filler etc for sal roy

Comment

• DareDevil
              • Apr 2013
              • Victoria

I have the LRA aux tank at the back 65L (because of the rear AC on Exceed 65L is the maximum capacity), Very happy with the setup always fills up to full when prices are low and dont have to worry about running out of the fuel and just pump to the main tank on the go when it goes empty
              2008 NS Pajero Exceed V6, MM Tow bar, MM Nudge Bar, Duel battery, Long Ranger Aux Tank, K&N AirFilter, Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Polyair air bags, 7" HID, Rhino Rack,UNIDEN UH7760NB UHF, UNIDEN 870, Oricom UHFTP2180, V-Checker A301 Trip Computer, LED Dome Lights

Comment

• xagtho
                • May 2013
                • south of the border

Hi guys, I'm considering going the cheapo option with an MK triton.

My ute is a V6 model, and until recently it was on LPG also.

I got fed up with some probs I was having with the LPG and took a hammer to it.

The LPG tank was under the back seat, on the other side from where the main tank is, and now I have a big hole I want to fill.

In factory form, this space is used by the main muffler, my exhaust was re-routed in the LPG conversion, it is exactly the same size area which is used by the main tank, with the same cross members.

I've just got myself another main tank out of an MK, I cut the mounts and all from the donor car, and I'm going to get a friend of mine to weld the mounts to my crossmembers, and I should be rocking and rolling.

I'm thinking that I'll get some fuel solenoids from a 70 series to do the fuel switching.

A benefit I see is that since they are twin tanks, the pumps, senders, breathers etc. will be all the same, so when I switch from tank to tank, the guage will work on the active tank.

Are there any downsides to doing it this way?

will it be as straight forward as I'm thinking?

any input would be appreciated guys

Cheers

Comment

• schnitzel
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Bendigo

Make sure the solenoids you get from the cruiser are out of a petrol and not a diesel as the diesel ones are not able to cope with the pressure of the efi pump and leak. This is why most petrol ones are a sub tank feeding the main rather than an auxiliary which can go direct to engine.
                  Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• NJ94
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2009
                    • Melbourne East

I'm probably stating the obvious X but make sure the tank is filled with water when you weld it. An acquaintance of mine in 1973 welded a breather pipe on to his VW kombi fuel tank when it was empty. The cap blew off and I reckon it's still going. When we camp on the river all my mates look up to see who sees the first satellite, not me, I'm still looking for Phil's fuel tank cap to go past in orbit. Luckily no-one was injured.
                    "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

• xagtho
                      • May 2013
                      • south of the border

Thanks for the heads up shnitz, I'll keep an eye out for that.

I am also considering using this setup for the switching

Comment

• xagtho
                        • May 2013
                        • south of the border

no probs nj, the mounts require welding, the tank will bolt to them

Comment

• Kirkster72
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Sydney

Got a Quote today from LRA, 58ltr aux supply only $1375 or $1842.50 fitted
                          81ltr aux $1430 supply only or $1897.50 fitted (only for non rear air con)
                          not cheap but if you do a lot of K's or outback trips well worth it IMO
                          cheers Bryan
                          2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• Naviguesser
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2013
                            • Crib Point Vic

Mmmm.

I was half thinking of doing this, but jerry cans are cheap.
                            MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
                            ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
                            TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
                            Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

• aus_andyk
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Melbourne

Not sure why only an 81L tank fitted is costing that much.

I was quoted $1897 to fit a 135L to a PC Challenger.

That is feeding the main tank, plus an extra filler & LED gauge.

Did they advise the steps to fit the tank, which would explain the difference in cost?
                              | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• shawty950
                                • Jun 2011
                                • Brisbane

Another option for temporary fuel tanks

Dolium/Boab

Website....multiple options

Like this idea as only 2 of us atm...and can use the rest of the setup as per normal without too much modification.

or

or

Also do water tanks

Shawty
                                SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X