• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miniyazz
    • Jul 2018
    • Alice Springs

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
    Next question is where to mount the antenna he also got me.

I realise the higher the better, but failing that has anybody had any issues with a bullbar mounted antenna failing due to vibrations? I read a Prado owner on another forum saying he’d had multiple fail. The antenna is 1.2m.

Another option is a fold down roof rail or roof rack bracket. Rhino sell them.

Edit: surely there are thousands of bullbar mounted aerials that have not suffered from premature failure due to vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just tighten it up once every few weeks. If it's still tight, do it less frequently.

Comment

• 2bad4u
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
      Edit: surely there are thousands of bullbar mounted aerials that have not suffered from premature failure due to vibrations.
      I've been running bullbar mounted aerials for decades and never had one fail. Don't know anyone that has had one fail either. The one you've got is a quality aerial with a solid base, it will be fine.
      Warren
      2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
      2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
        I've been running bullbar mounted aerials for decades and never had one fail. Don't know anyone that has had one fail either. The one you've got is a quality aerial with a solid base, it will be fine.

Awesome thanks mate. That's what I like to hear. Decades of experience. And thanks miniyazz also.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Also remember that most 4wds have a separate chassis, to which the bull bar is mounted - the Pajero bull bar mounts direct to the monocoque body.

A ladder chassis isn't as rigid as proponents want you to think it is, which can be seen by watching the bull bar move with respect to the bonnet. Bull bars on ladder chassis vehicles vibrate more than on monocoques, so if somebody wants to talk about failures of items mounted to bull bars it's important to understand the vehicle that the bull bar is on.

Even beyond ladder vs monocoque, different ladder chassis vehicles will have different "resonant frequencies" at which the chassis will vibrate most. If the chassis resonant frequency happens to be a frequency to which the mounted device is susceptible, then failure is more likely.

My father has lost a few antennae from his Prado's bull bar. I've never lost one from a Pajero bull bar (NJ or NT, although neither spent much time with a bull bar mounted antenna) and I'm not aware that my brother has ever lost one from his 80 series.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Garc
            • May 2015
            • Perth

I’ve recently had to change my antenna base as I bashed a tall antenna into a bush. Driver error - lesson learnt.
            Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Also remember that most 4wds have a separate chassis, to which the bull bar is mounted - the Pajero bull bar mounts direct to the monocoque body.

A ladder chassis isn't as rigid as proponents want you to think it is, which can be seen by watching the bull bar move with respect to the bonnet. Bull bars on ladder chassis vehicles vibrate more than on monocoques, so if somebody wants to talk about failures of items mounted to bull bars it's important to understand the vehicle that the bull bar is on.

Even beyond ladder vs monocoque, different ladder chassis vehicles will have different "resonant frequencies" at which the chassis will vibrate most. If the chassis resonant frequency happens to be a frequency to which the mounted device is susceptible, then failure is more likely.

My father has lost a few antennae from his Prado's bull bar. I've never lost one from a Pajero bull bar (NJ or NT, although neither spent much time with a bull bar mounted antenna) and I'm not aware that my brother has ever lost one from his 80 series.

Thanks nj for a comprehensive explanation! I will install it on my bullbar with confidence noting also that it's primarily for vehicle to vehicle comms in a convoy. Pat callinan tested (YouTube) the exact model mounted on his bullbar and it had 9.3km range. Plenty for me for now. When the need arises I can look at mounting higher on the vehicle, whether it's this aerial or another.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

My comments in this thread may be of interest to you.

It wasn't the mounting that failed or the antenna coming loose but the poor design of the internal elements of the radome.
                2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                  My comments in this thread may be of interest to you.

It wasn't the mounting that failed or the antenna coming loose but the poor design of the internal elements of the radome.

Thanks mate I’ll keep this in mind.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

I've had a GME AE4076(I think that is the model) fail. The antenna failed at the base between the metal ferrule and the fiberglass rod. No contact damage just corrugations rattled it loose.

Running a Minespec 6.6dbA so we'll see how that goes.
                    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

CB Radio Install location in 4th Gen

Anybody know why the antenna would be shipped with this black soft plastic sleeve attached by the mounting nut? Can’t find an install guide to clarify. At first I thought it might be to keep water out but a) it’s mighty hard to tighten the nut with it on coz it’s recessed by about 1 inch, and b) it’s not visible in any marketing photos.

Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 18-04-19, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Coleman
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Canberra

You remove the rubber, install without it.
                        Gme all have some sort of protection out of the factory.
                        2013 Glxr Pajero
                        Arb bullbar installed, HID IPF driving lights. 1" Bilstein and Kings Springs suspension

Sold
                        2012 PB Challenger. ARB Bullbar. Uniden UHF. ARB underbody protection. Cargo Barrier. Mitsu towbar. Lightforce 170 striker driving lights.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by Coleman View Post
                          You remove the rubber, install without it.

Gme all have some sort of protection out of the factory.

Cheers thanks mate. Confirmed my suspicions. Interesting that it needs it though, just to protect bottom of the cable I assume given it comes in a soft plastic package.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Port Augusta - SA

I agree with Coleman.

The black sleeve protects the coax termination against damage during shipping.
                            To quote Basil Fawlty . . . "Throw it away".
                            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                              I agree with Coleman.

The black sleeve protects the coax termination against damage during shipping.

To quote Basil Fawlty . . . "Throw it away".

Awesome [emoji41]

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                                Valued Member
                                • May 2017
                                • Sydney

Wondering if anyone has installed their UHF on the top of the grey plastic tray that sits immediately above the passengers feet in 4th Gen. The one that’s clipped in. I pulled that tray down and found a large piece of self adhesive Velcro that the cops had stuck down and thinking they may have had a radio sitting on it in there. I was gonna put mine on the transmission tunnel driver side but this is an option. However the weight of the UHF bouncing up and down on corrugations on that tray I’m not so sure about.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X