• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alliedog
    • Jan 2018
    • Melbourne

Whats this connector inside wheel cover

Hi folks, I took the wheel cover off yesterday and noticed a white plug that connects in the middle just above the number plate Pic attached. I couldn't see what it was connected to, after unplugging it, I noticed that the connector (part that is fixed to the wheel cover) is just plastic.

Just wondering if anyone knows what this plug is for? I'm quietly hoping it's wiring for models with a reverse camera, as I'd like to install one and if the cabling is already there, well that's a big plus!
    Attached Files
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Are you planning on installing a complete factory system (camera and eithe rmirror or MMCS)?

If not, it will be easier to just run a new line - the factory camera uses completely different plugs to ‘normal’ reverse cameras and the factory one needs an exact 6.6v power supply (which is usually supplied by the MMCS headunit), whereas ‘normal’ reverse cameras run on approximately 11.5-14v.

I went through all this to install an aftermarket headunit while retaining the factory camera.

(See post 132 onwards - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...=47893&page=14 )

PS - if you’ve found a cheap supplier for genuine Mitsubishi cameras, can you please share the link? - you wouldn’t believe it but on my last big trip I had a rock bounce off the trailer and chip the camera lens causing a blurry spot in the image. Talk about 1 in a million!
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Alliedog
      • Jan 2018
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      Are you planning on installing a complete factory system (camera and eithe rmirror or MMCS)?

If not, it will be easier to just run a new line - the factory camera uses completely different plugs to ‘normal’ reverse cameras and the factory one needs an exact 6.6v power supply (which is usually supplied by the MMCS headunit), whereas ‘normal’ reverse cameras run on approximately 11.5-14v.

I went through all this to install an aftermarket headunit while retaining the factory camera.

(See post 132 onwards - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...=47893&page=14 )

PS - if you’ve found a cheap supplier for genuine Mitsubishi cameras, can you please share the link? - you wouldn’t believe it but on my last big trip I had a rock bounce off the trailer and chip the camera lens causing a blurry spot in the image. Talk about 1 in a million!

So the plug is for the reverses camera then?

I wasn't planning on installing a factory system, dont have the MMCS in my car. I wasn't aware the factory one operates at a different voltage, interesting. Not sure if its possible to tap into a couple of the wires to run the video feed for an aftermarket system, but finding them at the other end might prove difficult! I just liked the idea of not having to snake a wire from back to front I guess.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out as I'm considering an aftermarket head unit.

That's a bit rough having a rock smash your camera!

Unfortunately I don't have a cheap supplier for a camera, have only been looking at aftermarket systems.

Comment

• Hatto
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2013
        • Mandurah WA

If you dont have an MMCS head unit then the plug you are referring too would probably be for the reverse camera for the lower spec models (GLS, GLX) which have the camera screen appear in the rear view mirror. Dont know weather or not these are supplied by the above mentioned 6.6v or not though unfortunately. I'm guessing this all means you have a GL model if you have no camera?
        Maybe stick it in reverse and put a multimeter on the plug pins to establish what's going on at the plug.
        Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
        ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• StevieJ
          • Apr 2018
          • Melbourne

Hi Alliedog
          Also interested in this so pls post if you manage to find a solution to use the OEM wiring. I have wondered about getting a second hand oem camera to plug in and see what happens. I wonder if the rear view mirror is already spec'd for camera and the image will appear if a camera is added.

Comment

• nscheg75
            • Nov 2017
            • Noarlunga Downs

Generally the manufacturer will wire a vehicle to have all the bells and whistles, but not include the hardware required. So no, I doubt the mirror would have a screen in it. (I didn't actually realise they used these, I thought it was done through the MMCS, if one was installed)
            The plug in question would be for the reversing camera (video, positive, earth) and also reversing sensors.
            Keep in mind that while you can use the video input for an aftermarket camera, you may have to source your own power as the factory camera might only use about 6 volts, whereas aftermarket ones use 12 volts. You would also then have to work out which plug to use behind the dash to get your feed from. It'd probably be easier to run your own wires.
            Last edited by nscheg75; 02-12-18, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• jimako
              • Jul 2007
              • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Probe it with a multi meter, Find the wire at the front behind the head unit, cut and adapt to suite your fittings and use it as the video feed. Just get the 12v from the Reverse Light.
              2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• Alliedog
                • Jan 2018
                • Melbourne

I'll get a multimeter onto it at some stage and sus it out.
                Mine is an RX, has the auto dimming mirror, so that rules out a mirror based screen I guess.
                I would look at sourcing power at each end (I remember reading about tapping into the reverse lights for power, but that wasn't for a Pajero)
                Still interested in tapping into the existing wires just for the feed, but will undoubtedly abandon that idea if it proves too difficult.

When I get a chance I'll have a play around with it and post an update.

Comment

• nscheg75
                  • Nov 2017
                  • Noarlunga Downs

OK so based on the 2009 model wiring diagram, I believe that your signal feed is going to be on Pin 4 of the plug behind your spare. It should be a brown wire.

If you have all the wiring between there and your dash, you should be able to pick it up behind your head unit, on a 12 pin plug, on pin 85. There, it should be a light green wire.

PLEASE NOTE that this is only a suggestion on where to start, test everything first!

The wiring diagrams are a bit more complicated, it looks like there are several patches and junction boxes that it goes through, any of which may not even be installed in your car.

Refer attached for diagram.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Morville
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Buxton Vic

Anyone after an OEM pajero camera

I have an OEM camera from a 2012 NW Platinum with MMCS. It was working when removed and is complete with OEM plug. I replaced the MMCS with an aftermarket head unit and a new 12v camera.
                    Camera free to anyone for $5 for packing and postage.
                    Peter

Comment

• nscheg75
                      • Nov 2017
                      • Noarlunga Downs

Originally posted by Morville View Post
                      I have an OEM camera from a 2012 NW Platinum with MMCS. It was working when removed and is complete with OEM plug. I replaced the MMCS with an aftermarket head unit and a new 12v camera.
                      Peter
                      I believe the plug is differrent on the NW, it would require a cut-and-shut job....

Comment

• geopaj
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Morville View Post
                        Peter
                        VERY INTERESTED! I have sent you a PM
                        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• nscheg75
                          • Nov 2017
                          • Noarlunga Downs

Just check the voltage coming out of your car. I know the NW camera uses about 6 volts, not sure about the NT. If the NT uses 12 volts, you may blow up the camera.

Comment

• Morville
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2008
                            • Buxton Vic

It goes to Geopaj.
                            Peter

Comment

• Doowrag
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Gympie Qld

i have the GLX with reverse camera, i can unplug it and see what happens if you like?
                              2011 NT GLX - Hankooks, 2in Kings/Oztec, SmartBra, XTM Spotties, Warn XD9000, UHF, AutoMate, Ultraguage, Flat Rack, Awning, RedArc Dual Battery System... LOOKING TO BUY FACTORY SIDE STEPS...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X