• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WITTNALL
    • Jun 2010
    • Don Valley Victoria

PB Challenger is possesed

hi l was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. l have had my 2010 Challenger since June, automatic, MT MTZ 265/70/17, from the day l picked it up strange things have been happening. The brakes get stuck on constantly, transmission is changing gears irratically, ie while driving at 90 it will suddenly change into 3rd, this happens all the time it will go from 5th into 3rd or 2nd while travelling at 80. Also the brakes come on by themselves, doing 90 down a hill they will suddenly come on, or at any time they like even while excelerating. I am now having problems starting the car in the mornings, and the green lights on the dash with the front tyres flash too.MMA have reset the computer but has made no difference,they say that there are no codes comming up on the computer. Now they are saying that they think it is the tyres? I do more country KMs so my speeds are normally around 80 to 100 so having the brakes come on buy themselves is becomming really dangerous. I would appreciate any feed back.
    MY 2010 PB LS Challenger White Auto:-Full tint, ARB Deluxe bar with driving lights, Safari Snokel, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/R17's, IPF 900SX Spotties, Kaymar rear step bar/wheel carrier/tow bar, Longrange Automotive 136ltr long range auxiliary tank, King Springs / Koni 40mm lift...
  • Stevie-Ray
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Has it traction-control fitted?

If it has, try turning it off (that's if it lets you)!
    The brakes issue doesn't sound like an engine-management problem, whereas some traction-control systems can alter inputs to auto-transmissions to make them down-shift.

Cheers
    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• dan40d
      • Feb 2010
      • Newcastle, NSW

I can't see what the tyres could possibly have to do with it. I would be looking more toward the traction control and stability control or the cruise control if you have been using it. Try turning these off and see what happens.
      PB Challenger, Charcoal, Manual, stock so far

www.danielallenphotography.com

Comment

• wasarangie
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Ocean Grove

If the wheel lights on the dash are flashing I would be looking for a loose or bad connection. I would start by looking at the sensor for the transfer box that tells it what drive you have selected, 2wd, 4wd etc. Has the dealership driven this vehicle for any lenght of time? You could always bypass the dealer and go direct to MMA customer service.

Can you borrow a set of stock tyres? Would remove the tyre issue if it still does it.
        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• WITTNALL
          • Jun 2010
          • Don Valley Victoria

The dealer has had the car a couple of times and it is now going back for the day on Tuesday, they are going to change the tyres and l hope that they will drive it where l do, not just around suburbia, l will mention the sensor and see how l go.
          MY 2010 PB LS Challenger White Auto:-Full tint, ARB Deluxe bar with driving lights, Safari Snokel, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/R17's, IPF 900SX Spotties, Kaymar rear step bar/wheel carrier/tow bar, Longrange Automotive 136ltr long range auxiliary tank, King Springs / Koni 40mm lift...

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

Do you drive around in 2wd or 4wd when this happens? Is there anything that you can think of that is common when this happens, down hill, wet roads etc?

I hope it is not the tyres, I have a set of those in the shed for mine when it gets here.

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• WITTNALL
              • Jun 2010
              • Don Valley Victoria

I have only been driving around in 2wd, the brakes bind at any time. They are worse when the weather is warmer and the gear changes become more erratic after l have been driving for longer periods with the brakes stuck on, also l find that going down hills tends to be where l am having the most problems, particularly with the brakes going on by themselves. I hope its not the tyres but l would be interested to hear if anyone else with 265/17/70 have had any problems.

Comment

• wasarangie
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2010
                • Ocean Grove

OK so no surprise I still think it is a sensor/plug issue. The lights on the dash flashing would do that if the front drive has not disconnected correctly, actuator etc is jammed, sensor error, test and see with that one.

Now the brakes would/could be caused by the stabilty/traction control, so still a sensor/ wire issue. The thing I would look for with that is the control unit that drives it, then follow to the wheel sensors. It could be that any one issue is causing all of the problems. But if no problem is present when it is tested then it is needle in a haystack stuff, pretty much replace and see type of thing.

Some time ago a local build vehicle was stopping at regular intervals with no codes, it was "fixed" after a complete new loom and ECU/BCU was installed. Did not hear any more about it as it was traded on another local brand of car.
                Very interested to hear how you go with it.

Comment

• norto
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Batemans Bay

I know of an ABS equipped Volvo that use to stop
                  when it drove past a high voltage power station.
                  The brakes would come on and the engine cut out.
                  Pete

Comment

• WITTNALL
                    • Jun 2010
                    • Don Valley Victoria

Thanks wasarangie for the information l will certainly arm myself with this information when l go to the dealership on Tuesday.

Comment

• masgrob
                      • Aug 2010
                      • Western Sydney

Originally posted by WITTNALL View Post
                      Thanks wasarangie for the information l will certainly arm myself with this information when l go to the dealership on Tuesday.
                      Hey dude dont worry about the dealer, go to the catholic church, and get a priest to fix the problem, what date did you buy.
                      If I can get out of work, Its worth a try. Play Hard

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Peakhurst, Sydney

Was it you who bought the Incubus Poltergeist wheels?

Originally posted by masgrob View Post
                        Hey dude dont worry about the dealer, go to the catholic church, and get a priest to fix the problem, what date did you buy.
                        Maybe that's why the Traction-Control unit is taking over the control of your Challenger?

Cheers
                        Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                        "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• zacc
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

Throw some holy water on it .

Comment

• TheTaipan
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009
                            • sydney

Originally posted by zacc View Post
                            Throw some holy water on it .
                            Do you know how priests make holy water???? They boil the hell out of it.

Comment

• WITTNALL
                              • Jun 2010
                              • Don Valley Victoria

LOL There seems to be some comedians amongst us, thanks for the good humor much appreciated. From now on I will have to carry my rosary beeds with me......

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X