• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurlavie
    • Sep 2016
    • Kfar Saba

Searching the OBD command to initiate a DPF regeneration

Hi,

Need the community help to solve this long lasting mystery I just cant resolve.

I am trying to find the right code to send through my ODB dongle, so I can trigger a DPF regeneration my self. Without the need for a mechanics.
    Pajero, 2008, Diesel, 7 seats.

Background:
    When I get the DPF light on, sometimes I just cant make it in time to clear it by driving.
    Then the light starts flashing and the check engine turns on.
    At this point I have to go to the mechanics for a computerized triggered DPF regeneration.

The mechanics then just clicks on his OBD computer and triggers the Regeneration.
    It takes about an hour of still standing, engine on, high RPM, and the DPF is cleared.
    You can see the system he is using here :

1. This is the tool the mechanics use - https://i.imgur.com/eskV5QN.jpg
    2. The KPI I am monitoring is "Soot loading by summation" - https://i.imgur.com/fO0m3lQ.jpg
    3. And the KPI value over time is here (60 minutes) - https://i.imgur.com/PqBYrSV.png

Any idea ?

-- I found the instructions for Toyota, but it doesnt help. (see here - http://forum.canb.us/topic/105/obd-i...and-response/2)

Thanks
    Gur
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

I was under the impression this could only be done by a MUT III tool. Though I would like to be proven incorrect.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• oscaroo
      • Dec 2017
      • Sydney

Mut should just be an obd tool .

My shitty obd/bt $1 tool keeps reconfiguring my etacs computer to not blink the indicator lights when locking or unlocking. So it should be totally possible.

The cheapie obd readers are buggy.

Get a good obd reader and start investigating.

I started writing a windows uwp app to learn some commands that the car sends. In my Prius C I am pretty sure I know what command to listen for when the doors have locked, seatbelt warning light on, brake light on and maybe the steering wheel angle. I don't know how to Action them, just to read the values.

I've been sticking to viewing existing commands vs sending random stuff. I don't want to break my car.

Fyi: when the car is off, the obd bus still has commands flying about. Except to see them you need to use at ma because nothing is going to respond to the normal pids.

Happy to share code if you can c#

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by gurlavie View Post
        Hi,

Need the community help to solve this long lasting mystery I just cant resolve.

I am trying to find the right code to send through my ODB dongle, so I can trigger a DPF regeneration my self. Without the need for a mechanics.
        Pajero, 2008, Diesel, 7 seats.

Background:
        When I get the DPF light on, sometimes I just cant make it in time to clear it by driving.
        Then the light starts flashing and the check engine turns on.
        At this point I have to go to the mechanics for a computerized triggered DPF regeneration.

The mechanics then just clicks on his OBD computer and triggers the Regeneration.
        It takes about an hour of still standing, engine on, high RPM, and the DPF is cleared.
        You can see the system he is using here :

1. This is the tool the mechanics use - https://i.imgur.com/eskV5QN.jpg
        2. The KPI I am monitoring is "Soot loading by summation" - https://i.imgur.com/fO0m3lQ.jpg
        3. And the KPI value over time is here (60 minutes) - https://i.imgur.com/PqBYrSV.png

Any idea ?

-- I found the instructions for Toyota, but it doesnt help. (see here - http://forum.canb.us/topic/105/obd-i...and-response/2)

Thanks
        Gur
        That device your mechanic uses is a US$1000+ system with annual software subscription, not a simple OBD dongle - here in Australia, the official website lists that system as "POA".

OBD is an industry standard set of commands that run on CANbus, manufacturers have their own proprietary commands on top. This is part of the difference between a simple code reader and a MUT3, and there are other products that fall in between. You can buy yourself a MUT3 for less than your mechanic's code reader.

For ways to trigger the regen on your NS, Stoneman is your best bet. Hopefully he'll see this thread within a few days.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• kiwi1973
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • New Zealand

Some of the Icarsoft scan tools are supposed to be able to do DPF regens and these are around the $300 mark. HNMII is one model that does regens on Mitsubishi and the other is the JPV2.

I can't say I've actually tried it (I have the JPV2, but no longer have a DPF).
          2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Stoneman
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2012
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
            Some of the Icarsoft scan tools are supposed to be able to do DPF regens and these are around the $300 mark. HNMII is one model that does regens on Mitsubishi and the other is the JPV2.

I can't say I've actually tried it (I have the JPV2, but no longer have a DPF).
            Yes, it works well
            NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• svill123
              • Jul 2016
              • Australia

MUT-III over CAN

I have always been interested in doing the exact same thing - issue a DPF regeneration.
              More generally, my goal is to send the vehicle MUT control commands / special functions (that "only the MUT can do") over CAN using a generic OBD ELM327 adapter.

I stumbled across this PDF publication from 2004 about MMC's design of the MUT-III system which is worth a read - http://www.m2kinc.com/pdf/96-user_guide.pdf.

There are some interesting sections, starting at Section 3, and more specifically, Section 5: “KWP2000 on CAN” protocol.
              The article speaks to a few interesting points, which lead me to believe that the MUT-III by design actually performs all its diagnosing and control commands using ordinary CAN ISO-15765. This is the protocol that generic OBDII ELM327 readers can operate on.

A few interesting extracts form the publication about the MUT-III:

#1: "…the new in-vehicle communication system allows the CAN technology to be used not only for control communications but also as a backbone network bus for diagnosis communications."

#2: "To use the CAN bus for diagnosis communications, we adopted the ISO-15765 defined “KWP2000 on CAN” communications protocol.… the new diagnosis tools are based on this protocol."

#3: "The same CAN communications wire can be used for control and diagnosis, thus reducing the number of harnesses."

#4: "KWP2000 on CAN allows any ECU connected to the CAN bus to have the diagnosis communication function without additional hardware."

From my understanding, ‘KWP2000 on CAN’ is just the phrase dubbed by the industry before they called it OBDII – CAN (ISO-15765), but I could be wrong.

From wikipedia: “KWP2000 on CAN (ISO 15765) describes layers 3 to 7 of the OSI reference model, it thus defines all higher protocol layers including the transport protocol and the diagnostic services”.

After reading the PDF publication, I now have higher hopes in reading MUT sensor data and issuing MUT control commands to the Pajero’s CAN system using a generic OBDII adapter.

It would interesting to see all the additional sensors related to the DPF system, or for that matter the entire car, that you cant normally see using the standard OBDII PID set.

I have myself an OBD-II Y-splitter cable, which gives the ability for two OBDII adapters connected to the vehicle at the same time. If I ever find myself in the hands of a MUT-III (or one of the aforementioned scan tools that can issue control commands/special functions), I was hoping to use the generic OBDII adapter using an ATMA command to scan/sniff the MUT-III’s control commands packets. Has anyone tried this?

It would be interesting to know if anyone gets any further with this.

Cheers,
              Last edited by svill123; 13-09-20, 09:07 PM.
              NS Pajero 2007 3.2TD Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X