• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slimeone
    • Oct 2016
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Scottyoffroad View Post
    So... If I had an NL with a 380 engine it it that requires 98 octane otherwise it pings....

Could this be a plug and play solution to adjust timing/fuelling to be able to run on standard 91 octane.. without visiting a dyno....

and the million dollar question.. how much would it cost and how do you "tune' it.... I must admit I am very much an amateur mechanic but did manage to do the engine swap myself.
    Yeah I'm in the exact same situation with an NL with the 380 engine. To make matters worse my wife drives a Stagea, and having to pay for 98 for both these cars is not cool. My Paj also has an exhaust and extractors and I feel I should be getting more out of the engine.

So keen to know basically how much would this cost and how do I get it done? I'm also a noob about this stuff.

Comment

• benckj
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2017
      • Alexandra , New Zealand

If high octane fuel is killing your wallet look into installing a water injection kit. Numerous advantages beyond raising your octane up several points. WI is more common in the forced induction world but still makes sense with NA’s and even diesels.

Comment

• Slimeone
        • Oct 2016
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by benckj View Post
        If high octane fuel is killing your wallet look into installing a water injection kit. Numerous advantages beyond raising your octane up several points. WI is more common in the forced induction world but still makes sense with NA’s and even diesels.
        That looks interesting but seems like it would get expensive and wouldn't your need an ecu tune anyway? Also is it practical for a daily?

Comment

• kalieracer
          • May 2018
          • California

Well you would tune it with wide band 02 sensor. Generally speaking what should happen is someone would do a tune on stock truck or truck with similar modifications and share it so others would have a good base to run off. I will be happy to share my tune but it is setup for 330hp motor and 91 gas. In terms of cost the ECU is around 600-650 USD and wide band is 160 or so. You would have wiring the knock sensor and get that out of any other local mistu.

chromedecu.org

Originally posted by Scottyoffroad View Post
          So... If I had an NL with a 380 engine it it that requires 98 octane otherwise it pings....

Could this be a plug and play solution to adjust timing/fuelling to be able to run on standard 91 octane.. without visiting a dyno....

and the million dollar question.. how much would it cost and how do you "tune' it.... I must admit I am very much an amateur mechanic but did manage to do the engine swap myself.
          1997 NK (coil) 3.8 Mivec Hybrid motor, PNP Engine management, 3X lockers, extractors, Billstien 5100 shocks, king springs, GLX brake upgrade with slotted rotors front and back. 33inch MT's and 4.63 gears.

Comment

• benckj
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2017
            • Alexandra , New Zealand

Originally posted by Slimeone View Post
            That looks interesting but seems like it would get expensive and wouldn't your need an ecu tune anyway? Also is it practical for a daily?
            Sure don't need an EMS for WI and as cheap as chips to run. Only on-going cost is methanol if using with a forced induction set-up. Very practical for daily driver. I use my little MR2 turbo daily with no problems at all. Some info below for thought.

On the EMS I installed my MSPNP along with wideband for under $1,000NZD. Did the majority of tuning myself with plenty of help from the on-line forum. Car has never run or performed better and I have full control of program. Worth looking into as the Pajero 4wd is not a standard ECU upgrade like most of the high performance engines out there.
            Last edited by benckj; 01-06-18, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Sketchypip
              • May 2018
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by kalieracer View Post
              Well a friend who does a GTO engine management built a custom ECU / ROM to run my truck. We added support for Mivec, VICS, Knock sensors, electric fan control, (ODB II for those who do not have it), wide band, forced induction that is all PNP in to the stock harness of the NL trucks. In my case my NK comes with the same motor as the NL (here in the states) only difference is the wiring harness is 4 plug vs 3 in the later trucks. You just install the ECU + wideband and tune it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiI9oKfD...-by=leosrawkus
              Can you tell me what the trigger set up is for the NL 3.5? My 3.5 DOHC swapped SWB has a Haltech installed but the car isn't running at the moment due to the factory trigger setup not talking to the Haltech.

It was configured with an Evo 10 trigger setup because the Haltech doesn't have any available settings for the 6G74 in the drop down menus but clearly this isn't correct as we have no spark at all.

Comment

• kalieracer
                • May 2018
                • California

well it needs to be set to 6g72 type assuming that you are using the correct notch blade for the that setup. Ignition needs to be setup for wasted spark

Originally posted by Sketchypip View Post
                Can you tell me what the trigger set up is for the NL 3.5? My 3.5 DOHC swapped SWB has a Haltech installed but the car isn't running at the moment due to the factory trigger setup not talking to the Haltech.

It was configured with an Evo 10 trigger setup because the Haltech doesn't have any available settings for the 6G74 in the drop down menus but clearly this isn't correct as we have no spark at all.
                1997 NK (coil) 3.8 Mivec Hybrid motor, PNP Engine management, 3X lockers, extractors, Billstien 5100 shocks, king springs, GLX brake upgrade with slotted rotors front and back. 33inch MT's and 4.63 gears.

Comment

• Benji3500
                  • May 2019
                  • Auckland, New Zealand

Would love help here too.

I have a 96 swb 6G74 Paj and would love to tune it.
                  Is there anyway at all? Or an ecu swap with the Pajero evo?

Thanks again

Comment

• stumagoo
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Perth WA S.O.R

An ecu from a nl is likely than b the easiest swap however it would cost you the manifold butterflies the knock sensor and will require custom wiring. if you are seriously considering look up early eclipse to h8 ecu swaps. it refers tax the 4 cyl ecus but these are very similar and the pinouts where applicable are th same.
                    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X