• gas55
    • Apr 2015
    • Port Macquarie

Originally posted by jackhays View Post
    My last service at a mechanic I have used for quite a while - 135,000km
    Nippon Max oil filter $50
    Sump plug washer $2
    Penrite HPR Diesel 10 $98
    Labour $150 (underbody protection has to be removed and replaced)

Brakes fine even after 135,000km although he is re-checking next time. I think a disk is sightly warped
    Last service:
    Ac/Delco filter- $28
    10L Penrite- $69
    Plug washer- $2
    Labour- $0
    Warm up the motor, run the passenger rear tyre up on a ramp so that the oil runs to the plug, and leave it for half a day.
    Gees it's good to be retired!!
    Greg

Comment

• farcanal
      • Mar 2010

Not Pajero related, but my daughter has just got her Kia Optima back from Automasters.
      The engine warning light was on and they replaced timing chain and related parts .
      I thought 123,000 kms was a bit soon to replace a timing chain, given it's about the regular kms to replace a timing belt.
      Another unusual aspect was the invoice.....just a total charge of $1940. No breakdown of parts and labour.
      There's no doubt that they replaced the chain because they showed old parts to my son in law.
      Unfortunately I'm too far away to do anything about it, all seems a tad sus to me.

Comment

• Jeffrey
        • Feb 2015
        • Pinjarra WA

Gouging

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
        OK, got quoted $850 for a 60k service. (independent) what the hell, it's not a BMW!!
        This is the only time it was more expensive then the dealer quote ($800)
        Anyhow, with just over a years warranty left, decided it was time to get back to servicing the car myself.

Gouging is not against the law, but it should be.

Comment

• Vicbitter
          • May 2016
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Jeffrey View Post
          Gouging is not against the law, but it should be.
          I understand the costs of running a workshop, and Mitsubishi recommending valve adjustments every 30k doesn't help (whether it's needed or not.)
          But generally its oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, check this and that, that'll be close to a grand thanks.

I bought my donaldson oil air and fuel filters for $95 delivered. Oil was under $100. So assuming the workshop gets all these cheaper (ryco) where the hell does $600 dollars more go, if not doing the valves.?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
            I understand the costs of running a workshop, and Mitsubishi recommending valve adjustments every 30k doesn't help (whether it's needed or not.)
            But generally its oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, check this and that, that'll be close to a grand thanks.

I bought my donaldson oil air and fuel filters for $95 delivered. Oil was under $100. So assuming the workshop gets all these cheaper (ryco) where the hell does $600 dollars more go, if not doing the valves.?

Profit..........
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Vicbitter
              • May 2016
              • Melbourne

Just finished doing my 70k service, and whilst having the thorough look around, I have found the coolant overflow bottle cap gasket was borked.
              (and a screw missing from the fuel tank guards)

Can seem to find the replacement part online, could anybody point me in the right direction?

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Partsouq.com is a great place for genuine online parts, I use them all the time.
                Put in your VIN for easier searching.
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Vicbitter
                  • May 2016
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                  Partsouq.com is a great place for genuine online parts, I use them all the time.

Put in your VIN for easier searching.
                  Thanks

Comment

• dave0l
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
                    100%

NX Paj generally appear to be ok, they always need some adjusting, although they rarely are tight, but the MQ and MR Triton inlet valves are always tight at service, and the exhaust valves are slightly looser than spec.
                    On the two checks done on ours they were both a little tight, so have them physically checked occasionally as this will cause excessive wear

Comment

• redbruce
                      Administrator
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by farcanal View Post
                      Not Pajero related, but my daughter has just got her Kia Optima back from Automasters.
                      The engine warning light was on and they replaced timing chain and related parts .
                      I thought 123,000 kms was a bit soon to replace a timing chain, given it's about the regular kms to replace a timing belt.
                      Another unusual aspect was the invoice.....just a total charge of $1940. No breakdown of parts and labour.
                      There's no doubt that they replaced the chain because they showed old parts to my son in law.
                      Unfortunately I'm too far away to do anything about it, all seems a tad sus to me.

That model Optima engine (and shared with Hyundai Sorrento) is prone to the upper self adjusting chain tensioner failing. End of engine has to come off to replace and they will always replace the chain in case it has been damaged.

Son did this recently on his girl friends car and its a decent size job. Technically its an engine out job but he disconnected everything from the engine, drained fluids, hung it on an angle in engine bay from engine crane and was able to do it in car. It still took most of the day so yes, with parts would have been best part of $2K with service at a repair shop.
                      PCOV Member 1954
                      MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer, ARB Smartbar. Stockman Extreme pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

• farcanal
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by redbruce View Post
                        That model Optima engine (and shared with Hyundai Sorrento) is prone to the upper self adjusting chain tensioner failing. End of engine has to come off to replace and they will always replace the chain in case it has been damaged.

Son did this recently on his girl friends car and its a decent size job. Technically its an engine out job but he disconnected everything from the engine, drained fluids, hung it on an angle in engine bay from engine crane and was able to do it in car. It still took most of the day so yes, with parts would have been best part of $2K with service at a repair shop.
                        Cheers, thanks for that.
                        At the risk of hijacking the thread, this Kia has since had a new engine fitted by Kia for no charge even though it's 8 years old. Apparently there was a recall and being the 2nd owner did not receive the letter from kia.
                        Very impressed with Kia, replaced engine no questions asked.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X