• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mittize
    • Sep 2019
    • Sanyang Gambia, West Africa

Starting problems

Depresptely need help with starting issues, I am out in West Africa with a lbw petrol 3litre parjaro,up to now I have fitted fuel pump ,coil, spark plugs, I have drained tank and cleaned it thinking it may even be dirty fuel , been reading through a few posts about similar issues, and tried disconnecting battery to reset e.c.u this seemed to do the trick only temporary, it starts great runs for a few secs then it's just as if the key has been turned off .any of you guys got any ideas to solve the problem?
  • TomW
    • Mar 2017
    • Melbourne

Sounds like something possibly electrical rather than fuel however to double check I would first manually activate the fuel pump as per the directions on this page:

(fuel pump connector is the square one) and listen to hear if the pump is running and fuel returning to the tank, you could also disconnect the fuel line at the rail and run the pump manually to see if fuel is being supplied to the rail to rule out a blocked line or collapsed filter.

If the fuel side of thing checks out I would check the ECU for error codes as per the directions on this page:

if this reveals nothing then it might be worth checking the timing is still correct (roll engine to over and ensure crank / cam marks align) and also remove distributor cap and ensure the cap and rotor are in good order.

Failing all this possibly I would look at the igniter that drives the ignition coil as the ECU cannot detect if this has failed and it could cause the symptoms you describe.

Good Luck

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

Have you checked the ballast resistor that's normally associated with the ignition coil primary circuit (assuming your vehicle has a resistor. Some coils don't use one) ?
      It's a white ceramic block about 75mm long.

THe resistor is in series with the coil during running (to limit the current/temperature of the coil) but is bypassed during starting.

Resistance of the order of about 1.5 -2 ohm would be expected.

A bad capacitor on the primary of the coil can also cause ignition problems.
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Mittize
        • Sep 2019

Ecu problems

[QUOTE=TomW;616984]Sounds like something possibly electrical rather than fuel however to double check I would first manually activate the fuel pump as per the directions on this page:

(fuel pump connector is the square one) and listen to hear if the pump is running and fuel returning to the tank, you could also disconnect the fuel line at the rail and run the pump manually to see if fuel is being supplied to the rail to rule out a blocked line or collapsed filter.

If the fuel side of thing checks out I would check the ECU for error codes as per the directions on this page:

if this reveals nothing then it might be worth checking the timing is still correct (roll engine to over and ensure crank / cam marks align) and also remove distributor cap and ensure the cap and rotor are in good order.

Failing all this possibly I would look at the igniter that drives the ignition coil as the ECU cannot detect if this has failed and it could cause the symptoms you describe.
        Thanks for replying,
        It's really doing my head in,living out in sticks in a third world country and car is my life line each job on car takes forever I've managed to get someone to come out to me on Monday with diagnostic equipment (probably a abacus and a hammer knowing this country ha ha).
        I've done all tests as you suggested, it's been running great until when you most need it ,it starts then just as you start to move it shuts down as if the key has been turned of, thanks for the threads and my fingers crossed for what happens on Monday

Comment

• groova 58
          • Sep 2019
          • LOWER WATTLE GROVE

I dont know if yours is the same but the pickup coils in the distributor stuck me up once. Another thing to try to see if its fuel spray aerostart down throttle body.

Comment

• Mittize
            • Sep 2019

[QUOTE=Mittize;617152]
            Originally posted by TomW View Post
            Sounds like something possibly electrical rather than fuel however to double check I would first manually activate the fuel pump as per the directions on this page:

Thanks for replying,
            It's really doing my head in,living out in sticks in a third world country and car is my life line each job on car takes forever I've managed to get someone to come out to me on Monday with diagnostic equipment (probably a abacus and a hammer knowing this country ha ha).
            I've done all tests as you suggested, it's been running great until when you most need it ,it starts then just as you start to move it shuts down as if the key has been turned of, thanks for the threads and my fingers crossed for what happens on Monday

Comment

• Mittize
              • Sep 2019

Starting problems

Originally posted by Mittize View Post
              Depresptely need help with starting issues, I am out in West Africa with a lbw petrol 3litre parjaro,up to now I have fitted fuel pump ,coil, spark plugs, I have drained tank and cleaned it thinking it may even be dirty fuel , been reading through a few posts about similar issues, and tried disconnecting battery to reset e.c.u this seemed to do the trick only temporary, it starts great runs for a few secs then it's just as if the key has been turned off .any of you guys got any ideas to solve the problem?
              What a relief, finally sorted it, I didn't know that there was another fuel filter other than the one in the tank,(sock type)the one about half way down body by the gear box and it's A canister type it was clogged with sand swapped this for a new one ,it now runs great no problems it cost me three pounds,so now I have a spare fuel pump,spare coil,plugs and leads which I thought was the problem and replaced,not to worry they will come in handy sometime, just glad i didn't go down the E.C.U road ha ha any ways thanks for all your help

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X