• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El_Freddo
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2018
    • Bridgewater, Vic

Did you replace the tensioner too or is it just this guide that should be replaced?

I’ve got to get onto this. The mirror method didn’t work for me. You must have a very small mirror! The one I got and used is probably 30mm in diametre. All I could see was the top of the cam sprocket.

Cheers

Bennie
    2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• mashupss
      • Feb 2014
      • Perth

Bennie I just did the chain guide. I had limited time tools and parts. Still not sure if my issue is fixed and I might have got onto it too late, plastic and metal shavings probably in my engine now. I looked down the chain and could see the plastic in all the other guides so I think they are ok. Probably worn though. After as many km as my engine has done the chain is probably stretched and the tensioner probably taking up a fair bit of slack, so probably need a new chain with the tensioner. Big job though.
      2005 NP 3.2 DiD, 2" Lovells (HD/SD), Gabriel shocks, MT Baja ATZ P3 265/75R16, ARB bull bar, dual batteries

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

It’s a 50/50 whether the motor will die or not from a failed top guide. When the metal bit breaks off it either falls straight into the sump where it sinks to the bottom never to be seen again and no harm is done OR it falls into the timing chain and completely destroys the motor. Lots of reports here where they have been close to failure and missing the plastic parts but no harm seems to come from it so I think you will be alright.

Generally the tensioner is ok. It is an easy 2 bolts to take it out on the left side of the motor near the front. Once out, push in the tensioner part, hook on the little built in latch and reinstall. Then turn the motor over by hand (double check you are going the right way) and you will hear a definite click when the tensioner engages. Job done.
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• mashupss
          • Feb 2014
          • Perth

Thanks Nab.

Regarding the tensioner I presume you can only change the spring/tension mechanism because changing the plasric guide part if the tensioner would require taking the front cover off?

I made it home so I think the engine is ok. No tapping noise anymore, so it must have been the chain slapping around due to the guide being bent up!
          2005 NP 3.2 DiD, 2" Lovells (HD/SD), Gabriel shocks, MT Baja ATZ P3 265/75R16, ARB bull bar, dual batteries

Comment

• El_Freddo
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2018
            • Bridgewater, Vic

So I went to MM in Bendigo several days ago. $60 for the guide and $55 fornthe cam cover gasket - not including the little bolt seals. I walked.

On partsouq, guide (revised part number) was $US9.something, cam cover gasket $US16.something and the bolt seals $US2.something each. Ordered other parts for my various Subarus and it’s all now on its way.

Can’t wait for the Pajero parts to arrive and get this sorted for piece of mind. Then it’ll be diffs and transfer oils followed by the auto box flush which will be the first auto flush for me using the pump method as outline else where on the forum.

I just can’t get over the MM dealer price gouging. I’d read on here ~$30 which to me was acceptable!

Cheers

Bennie
            2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X