View Single Post
Old 26-08-18

Hi David V
If you head south on the Midland Hwy from Ballarat towards Geelong there are several spots worth checking out in the Elaine/Meredith districts.
Bamganie State forest is a great little spot for a look around.Its only a small area(probably about 300 acres) but you will generally have it to yourself especially on weekdays.There are some nice little camp spots there where kids etc can ride their motorbikes etc and nice for a short drive.No really hard tracks but there is a couple that run towards the river that can offer a bit of a challenge at this time of year.If you allow up to half a day you will see it all.
Also well worth a look is an area called Mt Doran.A much bigger area with old mine shafts etc and lots of bush tracks to explore.Be very careful if you take dogs because of the old mine shafts.Dont worry about the kids too much as you can always make more but a good dog is hard to find.Lots of local motorbike riders and fossickers on weekends so keep your eyes open.If you want a beautiful little camp spot on the west moorabool river nearby check out Hunts Bridge Reserve.Well worth checking out.Again at this time of year you will probably have it too yourself.Hunts is about 10 mins from Mt Doran,get your wood at MtD before heading to Hunts.Just near Hunts is Dollys Creek Reserve.Enter Dollys Creek Reserve near Hunts and follow the track along all the way to Morrisons for a nice little morning out.There are numerous side tracks that head down to the river to explore.From Morrisons you can also head toward a spot call Little Forrest.Nice easy tracks but I did have to do a quick winch recovery a few weeks ago to get through one spot.All of these places are within about 20 minutes of Mt Bunninyong for food and fuel and about 30 odd minutes from Ballarat.
2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Last edited by ilikeachallenge; 26-08-18 at 12:31 PM.