• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benji3500
    • May 2019
    • Auckland, New Zealand

Replacing gauges

Having owned the Paj for a month now and I feel I’m not really utilising the gauges, altimeter, inclinometer and outside temp.

I’m looking at replacing them with a couple of dual SAAS trax gauges.

Oil pressure/water temp
    EGT/voltage
    However I’m unsure of the 3rd gauge? Oil temp or transmission temp?
    If you guys could give me your opinions..?

I was also looking at a water depth/sounder gauge, however this seems a tall order and from research I think the sonar transducer needs to be continuously submerged..?

Thanks again for your help
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

in the same boat - I have a dual volt guage and I am keeping the compass outside temp one but my wrd is going to be an AFR wideband one(I have a petrol with a supercharger and tune)

So my options for you are volts, oil temps, maybe a tire pressure monitor or simliar

edit....
    I see you have volts in the dual gauge setup
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

Keep the in/out temp as you will find that useful, and don’t you have a v6? The EGT gauge is a bit pointless.
      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Benji3500
        • May 2019
        • Auckland, New Zealand

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
        Keep the in/out temp as you will find that useful, and don’t you have a v6? The EGT gauge is a bit pointless.
        Yeah I do and I thought that’s a good thing to know from reading up on what’s the best gauges to have!
        I just have the outside temp gauge on mine, and I feel it’s temperamental due to the temperature increasing when driving! So the accuracy isn’t all there.

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
        in the same boat - I have a dual volt guage and I am keeping the compass outside temp one but my wrd is going to be an AFR wideband one(I have a petrol with a supercharger and tune)

So my options for you are volts, oil temps, maybe a tire pressure monitor or simliar

edit....
        I see you have volts in the dual gauge setup
        I wonder if there is a tire pressure gauge..?
        Is transmission oil worth it?

Comment

• brw0513
          • Apr 2018
          • Brisbane

I'm just a dreamer, but my suggestion would be a Redarc dual voltage gauge:

Searching for a Dual Voltage 52mm Gauge with optional current display? At REDARC Electronics we have a wide range of 52mm gauges online.
          Ian B
          1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• Benji3500
            • May 2019
            • Auckland, New Zealand

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
            Yeah I got told that too, am pretty keen on the dual gauges so you get more monitoring potential per gauge.
            EGT is mainly for diesels. I also got told voltage isn't that important either?
            TBH if im to keep my ambient temp gauge, which im quite dubious of the accuracy when in traffic, unless I need to change or relocate a sensor? Plus mine only does outside temp I think? however im not 100% sure.
            Im tempted to go for SAAS dual trap oil pressure/water temp and oil temp as an individual one then keep the thermometer I have.
            Interested in your thoughts

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

my ambient has been within 1 deg of the local readings from BOM every time I have checked... yes driving can make it a little funky but I dont take much notice while driving.

Voltage is important if you go camping etc - My dual volt gauge has been invaluable and I would not be without it. it tells me when I need to check batteries or change them (cycling up and down in voltage too quick) and when I had a faulty alternator - yes there is a lamp but it was not as helpful with the situation when it failed as the volt meter --- I was stuck in traffic (over 2 hours to do 4kms) on the local freeway and I flicked to my dual batteries and was actually able to monitor my voltages and flick back and forward as the alternator stopped and started working.... worst part it was night and dumping rain..... and the traffic hold up was a bush fire of all things
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• aussieguy
                • Oct 2015
                • Brisbane

Autotecnica Dual Gauge Performance Dual Battery Volts 60mm Analog Black Face 7 Colour Lights. 4WD / Camping. 60mm Electronic Analog Performance Dual Gauge Kit. Bumper Bar Protectors. • Volts - 6 > 18 Volts Gauge.

These are the ones I brought and should fit with minimal mods.
                05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• aussieguy
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Brisbane

Additional to the above, 52mm gauges require a besel to be printed, which I wish I had known before that 60mm gauges existed! So thanks to those talking about dual gauges I found some 60mm dual gauges so now I don't need a SAAS side pod.
                  Attached Files
                  02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Gold Coast

Any Dramas with the installation of those Gauges aussieguy? Especially the wiring? Im looking at the same Gauges to fit into mine soon....

Gemster...
                    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• aussieguy
                      • Oct 2015
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                      Any Dramas with the installation of those Gauges aussieguy? Especially the wiring? Im looking at the same Gauges to fit into mine soon....

Gemster...

Which ones the 52mm or 60mm?

I've only started installing the 52mm gauges which required some dremelwork to remove plastic to make them fit, the a couple holes to mount the bracket. Then I discovered today that 60mm gauges are a thing, so will have to wait for them to arrive, as the double gauges means I don't need a side pod on the drivers A pillar.

As for wiring, you have 2 opions on voltage, you can just patch in to the cigarette lighter in the dash, but for a 2 battery setup is better to wire into the ignitiona then directly to the battery so you get the correct reading.

My centrepod is out of a old NK of mine, the new NL is an escape so it doesn't have the center pod so i need to cut the dash and work out how to wire everything in. The water guage will need one of these housing.

Will see how the oil pressure sender works with the factory one.
                      02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• stumagoo
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Perth WA S.O.R

factory oil sender if you have none is a switch only for the light - and it wont work correctly for a gauge - the gauge needs a proper sender

Comment

• aussieguy
                          • Oct 2015
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                          factory oil sender if you have none is a switch only for the light - and it wont work correctly for a gauge - the gauge needs a proper sender
                          Gauge comes with a sender.
                          02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Gold Coast

Im going 60mm gauges.... I have been told to mount those 'adapters' so the sensor is under the radiator hose, not on top as sometimes water won't touch the sender and will give you a false reading....
                            Thanks for the info...
                            I may even scrap the idea of Gauges and mount a GPS and TPMS in there instead ... Someone on here has done that and it looks pretty good....

Gemster....
                            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• stumagoo
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • Perth WA S.O.R

60mm gauges would definately fit better I have 50's and they dont quite fill the spaces... that said I thought of a tablet or similar in there as well would be awesome.... Going off GPS units as I have found a good tablet with Google maps is just as good for what I do.... areas with no data coverage I download prior and use in offline mode. Using staelite view also helps finding those unmarked tracks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X