• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    This got me thinking about small 12vdc heaters just to take the edge of the chilly nights in the tent when the outside temperatures are sub zero.

100watt heater so 8 amp draw is too much to run all night unless there is a thermostat say set at 10C but they can be selected to half so 50watt output therefore 4 amp draw, 8 hours X 4 amps is 32amps so if driving the next day should be ok to run of aux battery and since it is so cold outside then fridge will not be cutting in and consuming power.

For $16 it might be worth a go!

Thoughts?

OJ
    My thought is you’re probably better off with thermal underwear, an extra blanket and a hot water bottle or two but there isn’t anywhere near as much adventure in that when you can have another gadget
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
      My thought is you’re probably better off with thermal underwear, an extra blanket and a hot water bottle or two but there isn’t anywhere near as much adventure in that when you can have another gadget
      Mrs. OJ is already at the above stage, even I have started wearing thermals in colder conditions, it was more about taking the edge of the air we are breathing and hopefully reducing the condensation in the tent.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
        My NX does. In northern hemisphere markets they also get heated windscreen wipers.
        the exceed might but my humble gls doesnt
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Mrs. OJ is already at the above stage, even I have started wearing thermals in colder conditions, it was more about taking the edge of the air we are breathing and hopefully reducing the condensation in the tent.

OJ.
          Do a little research OJ - two human bodies put out a lot more than 50W, I'm thinking it won't make much difference.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

OJ.
            O oh looks like we’re drifting from the family orientated ‘g’ rating what with all this talk of heavy breathing in confined spaces.

That aside I think KiwiNT was looking at a portable diesel heater setup. Power draw would be for the fan and ignition only then.
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Do a little research OJ - two human bodies put out a lot more than 50W, I'm thinking it won't make much difference.
              Yes the www tells me that on average a human body generates about a 100watts, this makes sense as one is always warmer in a smaller tent than a larger tent or no tent at all. maybe for $16 it is worth the experiment it may even have a placebo effect for Mrs OJ!

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Speaking of condensation in the tent, I'm going to try a small USB desk fan you can buy at Office Works for about twenty bucks. Hopefully it will stir the air enough to stop most of the condensation in the Tvan tent.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Not sure about the T van, but we had a camper where you wound up the roof and pulled the beds out at each end. We live in Cooma NSW and the first night out was at Hay. Middle of winter. In the morning there was a frost as heavy as any we had seen in Cooma. We woke up at about 5:00am, and it was as if it was raining inside the van, over the beds. Condensation was incredible. First thing when we got to Mildura was to buy some flysheets, which I fitted that day. Never any more problems with condensation after that. Flysheets also help if you are trying to pack up the van when it has been raining. So I suggest that you investigate some flysheets for your van.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Yes the www tells me that on average a human body generates about a 100watts, this makes sense as one is always warmer in a smaller tent than a larger tent or no tent at all. maybe for $16 it is worth the experiment it may even have a placebo effect for Mrs OJ!

OJ.
                    Placebos can be incredibly effective.

Try hanging some cheap "space blankets" inside the walls of the tent, to keep radiant heat (from your bodies) from striking the canvas. If they hang to the floor with a slight air gap from the walls, you may also be able to slow convection currents, and reduce the rate at which cold air inside the canvas sinks and circulates.

Reducing losses from your existing 200 W (or more - I reckon your missus would have a pretty good metabolism) may be more effective than adding another 50W.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by erad View Post
                      Not sure about the T van, but we had a camper where you wound up the roof and pulled the beds out at each end. We live in Cooma NSW and the first night out was at Hay. Middle of winter. In the morning there was a frost as heavy as any we had seen in Cooma. We woke up at about 5:00am, and it was as if it was raining inside the van, over the beds. Condensation was incredible. First thing when we got to Mildura was to buy some flysheets, which I fitted that day. Never any more problems with condensation after that. Flysheets also help if you are trying to pack up the van when it has been raining. So I suggest that you investigate some flysheets for your van.
                      Thanks for the input and in fact, I'ver recently done that. There's a fly for the top of the Tvan tent they call a tropical roof. It does the same as your flys so hopefully that will also help.
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• reciprovac
                        • Jan 2011
                        • broadford Victoria, Australia

Heater option

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                        Why not buy an Ebay Diesel heater from China ?
                        Set it up as a stand alone unit and get either 5 or 3 kw for around $250.
                        2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                        Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          Placebos can be incredibly effective.

Try hanging some cheap "space blankets" inside the walls of the tent, to keep radiant heat (from your bodies) from striking the canvas. If they hang to the floor with a slight air gap from the walls, you may also be able to slow convection currents, and reduce the rate at which cold air inside the canvas sinks and circulates.

Reducing losses from your existing 200 W (or more - I reckon your missus would have a pretty good metabolism) may be more effective than adding another 50W.
                          may make condensation worse.
                          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                            may make condensation worse.
                            Yes. Not necessarily any more condensation, but it would form on the plastic (and probably "run") rather than soak into the canvas.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X