• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dicko1980
    • Aug 2014
    • Darwin NT

2nd Battery Tray - Under Bonnet

Any recommendations on which under bonnet battery tray to fit which can hold the largest battery possible. Had a quick look out there but a little confused as to which brand to go with.

Thanks
    dicko1980
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Hi dicko1980,

From reading various posts I think all the under bonnet trays will restrict you to maybe 75AH. I have a feeling some have modified trays to allow a larger battery but not sure how that works with fuel filter positioning.

If you really want to maximise the aux battery size you will need to replace the started with a smaller battery (some use Optima yellow tops I think) and install this in the Aux tray, then you can fit an N70 size to the Main tray as your Aux.

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Pauno
      • Dec 2012
      • Newcastle

There is a company out of SA I think that sell second battery trays that fit n70 size batteries without having to move a thing. I have one, just can’t temember the name as is been 6yrs since I put it in and it doesn’t have a sticker on it. I have my redarc charger attached to the side of the tray.
      Best thing is you don’t drop the size of your starter battery
      NW Exceed

Comment

• Hazpet
        • May 2014
        • Mandurah

Have a look at the off road down under tray. It will take a full size deep cycle without shifting the start battery.I currently have a 102ah Century N70T in mine and it fits easily.
        2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• Stinky
          • Jul 2007
          • Gladstone, qld

Originally posted by Pauno View Post
          There is a company out of SA I think that sell second battery trays that fit n70 size batteries without having to move a thing. I have one, just can’t temember the name as is been 6yrs since I put it in and it doesn’t have a sticker on it. I have my redarc charger attached to the side of the tray.
          Best thing is you don’t drop the size of your starter battery

Got one in my NX
          The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
          My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• mattjones
            • Aug 2013
            • ellenbrook

I bought an Arb battery tray and modified it to take a 105ah battery. It involved cutting the front lip of the tray off and extending the tray to accomodate the bigger battery and relocating the start battery's to the back of the tray. I also had to reroute some of the battery wiring and replace the power cable from the battery to the fuse box. I also had to make a new bracket for the radiator overflow. It was a little bit of work but I'm extremely happy with it. It's been in the car for 5 years now

Comment

• Jorgo RX Pajero
              • Feb 2017
              • Perth WA

I also went the ARB Dual Battery Tray. Its extremely well made and mounts in very solid. I opted to install 1 x N70 size Optima Yellow Top in the front position and a N50 size Optima Yellow Top in the rear section. I also had to install a Red Arc BCDC Charger to ensure the batteries where getting the correct charge from the "SMART" alternator, this went on the back fire wall on a 2mm ally backing plate.
              Installation of the tray is very straight forward, however getting the battery cables and accessory wiring all done correctly is tedious work. Every connection was silver soldered and heat shrink and labelled. All the wire used to replace OEM and previous installs was replaced with 2mm silver tinned marine wire.
              Really happy with the end result - simple neat and accessible. Now there is definitely NO room left under the bonnet haha

Comment

• MrIsuzu1
                • Sep 2012
                • Cairns

Get a second aux battery tray and fit it. Then put the original battery - starter battery in the aux tray. You only have to reroute the wiring, theres no cutting to do. Then you can fit a large up to n70 size aux battery in the original tray. I've done as have others.
                2010 NT GLX, RD lock, Smartbar, Warn winch, Uniden UHF, Piranha dual battery, Redarc Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz protection

Comment

• paceman
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2018
                  • Mackay

Originally posted by Jorgo RX Pajero View Post
                  I also went the ARB Dual Battery Tray. Its extremely well made and mounts in very solid. I opted to install 1 x N70 size Optima Yellow Top in the front position and a N50 size Optima Yellow Top in the rear section. I also had to install a Red Arc BCDC Charger to ensure the batteries where getting the correct charge from the "SMART" alternator, this went on the back fire wall on a 2mm ally backing plate.
                  Installation of the tray is very straight forward, however getting the battery cables and accessory wiring all done correctly is tedious work. Every connection was silver soldered and heat shrink and labelled. All the wire used to replace OEM and previous installs was replaced with 2mm silver tinned marine wire.
                  Really happy with the end result - simple neat and accessible. Now there is definitely NO room left under the bonnet haha
                  got any pics of the install?

i have got an ARB tray for my 2010 NT, which i haven't fitted yet...
                  Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Timmeh
                    • Mar 2018
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Stinky View Post
                    http://boss4.com.au
                    Got one in my NX
                    I have one in my NW. Fitted well and fits the N70T.

Comment

• MrIsuzu1
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Cairns

Currently only have a 75amp aux battery sitting I the OEM main tray. For my swap, I only had to extend the winch power cables.
                      Attached Files
                      2010 NT GLX, RD lock, Smartbar, Warn winch, Uniden UHF, Piranha dual battery, Redarc Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz protection

Comment

• Mambop
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Brisbane

As per the others, second battery tray up against the first wall. The holes are there already. Then put the crank/starter battery at the back track. The leads are long enough to swap straight over.

The original crank tray will fit up to 105ah battery. The battery sizes have reduced a lot in the last 3 years. Back then the 75ah was about the largest. Bought a new 105ah AGM last week and fits perfectly. (Don’t believe the crap about the heat with the AGM’s under the bonnet)

You will definitely need a DC/DC charger (Redarc do a good one) because the alternator in the Pajero won’t charge the ancillary battery by its self. If you think you might add solar later get the dual version.
                        TJM Snorkel | 2" Lift | Side/Rear Awning | 17" Nittos | TJM Underbody | Milford Cargo Barrier| Mitsubishi Nudgebar | Pioneer Platform | Red Arc cha| ARB 42L Fridge | 200W Solar |9” Led Spotties|Lightbar|2 x 6” rear Led| TX3350 UHF|

Comment

• pajeroarb
                          • May 2018
                          • sa

For the last 5 to 6 weeks I've been waiting for the Offroad Downunder trays to come back in stock, checking daily. Called about 3 times in that time and the standard answer is always:

'They are at the powder coaters, will be back in stock late this week or early next week'

Obviously a typical standard phrase to BS customers.

I'm now considering taking my cash somewhere else.

Are these Boss trays any good? Is it a direct fitment?

Comment

• dhula
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • South of Perth

There is this one on evilbay that I just found. Says can fit a N70
                            They also do a steel replacement for the main battery to by the looks of it
                            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• MA 99
                              • Jun 2010
                              • Perth

I Have installed an Offroad battery tray and two bosch batteries along with a DC to Dc charger mounted to the Aux battery. I have just towed a van 6230 km and the battery set up has worked well keeping the car aux battery and the van battery at full charge.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X