• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BMN
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • Perth WA

Originally posted by pb4x2 View Post
    Don't panic your automatic inhibitor switch probably needs adjustment and is a five minute job. I was in a similar position several months ago with my MN Triton and thought the worst but a quick test drive by my local auto trans expert and five minute adjustment has left it like new.
    Cheers mate, good to have some knowledge on the issue.
    2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• BMN
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • Perth WA

Thanks pb4x2. easy fix. 14mm nut on the passenger side nice and low that connects the shifter cable to the inhibitor switch. Only took a very small adjustment (approx 1-2mm) rearward and she's all good. Had been putting it off for a few weeks thinking it was going to be pain in the arse
      2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• pb4x2
        • May 2015
        • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Originally posted by BMN View Post
        Thanks pb4x2. easy fix. 14mm nut on the passenger side nice and low that connects the shifter cable to the inhibitor switch. Only took a very small adjustment (approx 1-2mm) rearward and she's all good. Had been putting it off for a few weeks thinking it was going to be pain in the arse
        My pleasure,sharing tips and knowledge is what this forum is all about.
        2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• itsamitsi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2015
          • Hervey Bay Queensland

I see auto mate is nearly there. I have lock up mate already, if I install auto mate do I still need lock up mate too or does auto mate do both? MM?
          Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

My plan is to be offer an upgrade for lockup-mate owners to get an auto-mate.
            The original lockup-mate and LED switch cable will need to be returned for upgrade.
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• itsamitsi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2015
              • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
              My plan is to be offer an upgrade for lockup-mate owners to get an auto-mate.
              The original lockup-mate and LED switch cable will need to be returned for upgrade.

Thanks Marshall. I do like the lock up and can't wait till auto mate is done. This is what my Challenger lacks. I like the car but that auto annoys me. Also on a side note I have done a fair bit of towing now with lock up running and my trans fluid has darkened fairly rapidly over the last 3 or 4 months. It may be coincidental as it is probably due to be replaced or is it more clutch material in the oil as they are having to work harder now? I plan to change it out with full synthetic trans fluid.
              Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
                Thanks Marshall. I do like the lock up and can't wait till auto mate is done. This is what my Challenger lacks. I like the car but that auto annoys me. Also on a side note I have done a fair bit of towing now with lock up running and my trans fluid has darkened fairly rapidly over the last 3 or 4 months. It may be coincidental as it is probably due to be replaced or is it more clutch material in the oil as they are having to work harder now? I plan to change it out with full synthetic trans fluid.

I had the first Challenger Lockup Mate fitted at 118,000km, at 122,000km I had the ATF flushed and changed, I ran Lockup Mate until 128,000km then the prototype Auto Mate V1-V16 and now have 135,000km on the odo, and my ATF is still clean and light red.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• itsamitsi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  I had the first Challenger Lockup Mate fitted at 118,000km, at 122,000km I had the ATF flushed and changed, I ran Lockup Mate until 128,000km then the prototype Auto Mate V1-V16 and now have 135,000km on the odo, and my ATF is still clean and light red.

OJ.
                  Hey OJ. Have you towed anything in that period? I have towed my camper around a fair bit and the oil has always stayed clean looking. Now it's dark and smells burnt. I am going to change it out with full synthetic and see how it goes. I still believe it's clutch material which is OK as they should have well and truly settled in now and after a change hopefully will stay pretty clean. It's done 88K now.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
                    Hey OJ. Have you towed anything in that period? I have towed my camper around a fair bit and the oil has always stayed clean looking. Now it's dark and smells burnt. I am going to change it out with full synthetic and see how it goes. I still believe it's clutch material which is OK as they should have well and truly settled in now and after a change hopefully will stay pretty clean. It's done 88K now.
                    Hi Itsa,
                    I do not tow regularly but I have done some 1900-2000 kg towing up the SE Freeway during the testing phases of both Lockup Mate and Auto Mate and have had ATF temps of 116C when doing back to back tests and leaving the Auto in Drive with Lockup and Auto Mate off. I am always between 2550kg and 2850kg (GVM+150) and do about 60% city and 40% country/off road kms. Prior to Lockup Mate and Auto Mate, I would start my notice the ATF changing colour between 30,000km to 45,000km and by 60,000km it was in need of changing. I have only 13,000km since the ATF change so it is too early to call. My understanding of why the ATF changes colour and smells burnt is based on the ATF getting too hot when the torque convertor is slipping, even with Lockup Mate and Auto Mate the TC is still slipping in first gear so stop/start operations and heavy towing will still accelerate the deterioration of the ATF. I doubt if the dicolouration is "lockup clutch material" but only a scientific oil analysis would prove this. What I have notice with the testing of both Lockup and Auto Mate is a huge reduction in ATF temps, a modest reduction in engine coolant and air intake temperatures especially under high load operations, and a 10% to 25% reduction in fuel consumption depending on conditions.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Hi Itsa,
                      I do not tow regularly but I have done some 1900-2000 kg towing up the SE Freeway during the testing phases of both Lockup Mate and Auto Mate and have had ATF temps of 116C when doing back to back tests and leaving the Auto in Drive with Lockup and Auto Mate off. I am always between 2550kg and 2850kg (GVM+150) and do about 60% city and 40% country/off road kms. Prior to Lockup Mate and Auto Mate, I would start my notice the ATF changing colour between 30,000km to 45,000km and by 60,000km it was in need of changing. I have only 13,000km since the ATF change so it is too early to call. My understanding of why the ATF changes colour and smells burnt is based on the ATF getting too hot when the torque convertor is slipping, even with Lockup Mate and Auto Mate the TC is still slipping in first gear so stop/start operations and heavy towing will still accelerate the deterioration of the ATF. I doubt if the dicolouration is "lockup clutch material" but only a scientific oil analysis would prove this. What I have notice with the testing of both Lockup and Auto Mate is a huge reduction in ATF temps, a modest reduction in engine coolant and air intake temperatures especially under high load operations, and a 10% to 25% reduction in fuel consumption depending on conditions.

OJ.
                      I don't think it's lock up clutch material but more gear clutch material. It may be completely due for change of fluid by now but it is purely coincidental that it went dark very quick only after fitting lock up mate. Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the product and would do it all over again no questions asked

Comment

• KevsChallenger
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Melbourne

Can the brains trust answer this, is it possible to have lock up on 1st gear for those steep high country decents. Coming from a manual Land Rover Defender to a Challenger down hill in 1st low in the Chally is like 3rd in the Defender. So much slower and more control in the Landy.

Wholesale auto's advertise theres as locking in all gears i think?

Is it possible on the Jatco box?
                        PC, 2"OME, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batts, TJM Bar, Ironman Winch, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2's, ARB Fridge/Slide, Cargo Barrier, Provent Catch Can, Roof Rack, Lightbar, Inverter, UHF, Lock Up Mate, ScangaugeII, IDrive

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by KevsChallenger View Post
                          Can the brains trust answer this, is it possible to have lock up on 1st gear for those steep high country decents. Coming from a manual Land Rover Defender to a Challenger down hill in 1st low in the Chally is like 3rd in the Defender. So much slower and more control in the Landy.

Wholesale auto's advertise theres as locking in all gears i think?

Is it possible on the Jatco box?
                          Yes. Read https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=60342

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• KevsChallenger
                            • Sep 2017
                            • Melbourne

Thanks NJ
                            PC, 2"OME, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batts, TJM Bar, Ironman Winch, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2's, ARB Fridge/Slide, Cargo Barrier, Provent Catch Can, Roof Rack, Lightbar, Inverter, UHF, Lock Up Mate, ScangaugeII, IDrive

Comment

• KevsChallenger
                              • Sep 2017
                              • Melbourne

After reading various threads it seems that everyone who has installed a MM lock up kit has done so for towing with great results.

Can anyone who has used it offroad especially on steep descent's comment on the difference

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by KevsChallenger View Post
                                After reading various threads it seems that everyone who has installed a MM lock up kit has done so for towing with great results.

Can anyone who has used it offroad especially on steep descent's comment on the difference

Hi Kev,

My Challenger has been the "test mule" for MM4x4 over the last 9 months and 18,000kms. We have tested in most conditions, I can report there is an improvement in engine braking in low 1st with the TC locked but you need to remember that the gear ratio is only 28:1, diff ratio of 3.917:1 and the the 2.5 litre CRD has a compression ratio of 16:1 so this cannot give you old school Landrover, no brakes required down a 45 degree slope engine braking. Locking the TC up on descents means that you get ATF flow through the TC and cooler so the ATF temperatures reduce. I have not had a High Country trip so the longest steep up hill and down hill in low range would be less than 1km, in the Flinders Ranges.

My thought is it would be best to turn OFF Lockup Mate/Auto Mate during very technical steep uphill climbs so you get the benefits of the high slip torque convertors torque multiplication then turn it ON for the downhill to get the engine braking and ATF cooling.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X